A home warranty is easy to find in Texas, considering how most providers accept TX residents. Finding the best home warranties in Texas for your needs is not as easy, though! Which companies are available? What separates between them? Which plans do they offer? These are all questions that will be addressed on our Texas home warranty comparison. Review our comprehensive research and analysis and learn how to discover top 10 trusted and reputable home warranty companies in Texas to match your needs.
- Great promotions available
- Different plan types available
- Emergency service available
- High cancellation fee
- 1 day to submit a claim
The Texas real estate market is booming - homeowners look for protection
According to Census Bureau, homeownership in Texas grows in a rapid pace. In 2017, there were 264 000 new privately-owned houses sold, which is 23.1% more than in 2016. Between 2017 and 2018, the average price for a property in Texas grew by more than 6% to $188,000, and some specific cities like Austin have grown by as much as 9% in this period (Austin's average cost of home is $355,000). Homes in Texas are sold fast, and there are many people eager to ride the trend, whether investors, newcomers from neighboring states, or existing Texas residents looking to update.
Are you one of those new happy homeowners? Then you might be interested to know that the median monthly owner's cost in Texas is $460 without a mortgage. That includes repairs of home systems and appliances. Do you know what can help you bear that cost? A good home warranty.
Home warranty programs in Texas provide coverage for both city and country residents, from the largest and the most populous cities in Texas—Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and the capital of the state, El Paso—to the smallest villages and ranchos.
Seventy-five percent of the Texas population lives in the Texas Urban Triangle between Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. Most home warranty plans in Texas offered by different companies, cover this area, and the residents have a wide variety of options when thinking about protecting their home systems and appliances.
In contrast to the cities, Texas has many rural settlements, or colonias, that sometimes lack infrastructure, but may still be covered by a top home warranty company. The most popular home warranty providers in Texas are Total Home Protection and Choice Home Warranty. Both of these companies are highly rated by Review Home Warranties, the leading editorial home warranty review and comparison site in the USA (view our overall top rated companies here).
Important Tips on Buying a Home Warranty in Texas
- Should I rush into buying a home warranty? One of the oldest tricks in the salesperson's book is to make the customer believe he is in a dire need of a product which has to be purchased on the spot, but it is rarely the case. You have to understand that home warranty companies in Texas, or anywhere else, are not going to fix items with pre-existing conditions. That means that whether you make a home warranty today 10 months down the line, your broken washing machine will not be replaced! Additionally to the above, there is a 30 day waiting period with most home warranty programs and plans in Texas. That means that you would have to wait 30 days between signing a contract and until your policy is activated.
- What are the warning signs that my TX home warranty provider may be unrecommended? The worst trait adopted by many shady home warranty companies is tricky Terms and Conditions. If you are unable to understand exactly what does your coverage include, how fast should your Texas home warranty company attend to your complaint, or what are the actual replacement limits on items that are not fixable, you should consider using a different company.
- What are the home warranty regulations in Texas? All home warranty companies in Texas must be licensed by Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) in order to offer residential service contracts to the state residents for any service related to a repair or replacement of an appliance or a home system. So, before you sign a home warranty contract, ask the customer representative if their company holds such a license. All companies reviewed on our site are fully licensed to work in a respective state.
- What should you take into consideration when buying a home warranty specifically in Texas? First of all, you should be aware that the climate might have a negative effect on your home system’s wear and tear. As Texas is located in several climate zones, different parts of this state may vary significantly. In winter, the average temperatures range from 50F in Amarillo to 70F in Brownsville. In summer, the average temperatures go as high as 100F in Laredo. Hence, it depends on where in Texas you reside and which specific items you are looking to cover, but the extreme weather conditions in Texas do make a big difference. Read the impact of weather conditions in Texas on appliances and home systems below:
Texas weather conditions analysis and impact on household items
You can see the average temperatures for Texas prime cities in the graph below:
The Gulf Coast area has mild winters and hot summers. That means that when customers are shopping for the best home warranty in Texas, they should make sure that the air conditioning system is covered in the best way possible. These units tend to break in areas like Texas in which they work in full throttle for prolong periods of time. Additionally, it is quite impossible to live without them even for a few days. Hence you require one of the Texas home warranty companies that offers both a comprehensive coverage and prompt and professional response time. For example, America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides great coverage for air conditioning residential units up to a 5-ton capacity. The company even pays up to $25 per pound of refrigerant. Not many other companies extend their services to that point. An example for a company that could be problematic in that sense is American Home Shield, as 20% of its complaints are about delayed service which could be very problematic when it comes to a replacement of an A/C unit in 80f degrees.
Not only it may become very hot in Texas, it is also very humid. As you can see in the graph below, humidity in Austin may reach as high as 90%, and Dallas and San Antonio are not far behind. High humidity may interfere with the home appliance’s normal wear and tear, expediting this process. If you don’t have a manufacturer’s warranty on your appliances, we highly recommend you to consider purchasing a home warranty that covers as many of them as possible.
Texas is notorious for extreme weather conditions. You should keep in mind that damage to any home system caused by severe weather, such as thunderstorms, tornadoes, or hurricanes is not covered by any home warranty.
Read Our Blog - Air Conditioner Care
As you may already know, a good maintenance prolongs the life of your electric appliances and may save you thousands of dollars on repairs and replacements. This is especially true for the air conditioner, one of the most expensive appliances in your house. Do you call the maintenance company regularly and replace the filters every month? Use our blog to find out useful tips and share your experience!
Home Warranty Plans for Appliances
There are several home warranty programs in Texas that offer good coverage for home appliances. As an example, Select Home Warranty program, provides one of the best and most reasonably priced appliance coverage plans available in the industry. It is called the Bronze Care Plan and includes washer and dryer, refrigerator, stove or oven, built-in microwave, dishwasher, and garbage disposal, and it will cost you less than $40/m.
Many home warranty companies offer optional coverage for those appliances and systems that are not covered by the pre-packaged plans. This option will allow you to select the best coverage for your homes. Landmark Home Warranty offers an extensive list of additional items and services. These include not only appliances in the main house, but also the guesthouse, as well as coverage for roof leaks and exterior pipe leaks. When it comes to appliance plans, it is always good to compare Texas home warranty plans carefully! two plans offered by two different companies could have a complete different level of coverage.
Final Words About Home Warranty Companies in Texas
The best home warranty companies in Texas, such as the ones mentioned above, make sure that you won’t have to pay any large bills for repair or replacement of any major home appliances, such as refrigerator, oven, or dishwasher, or any malfunctions in the home systems, such as plumbing or heating. One of the main benefits of signing up for a home warranty plan is that you don’t have to search the market for available contractors and don’t have to wait until they have time for you. The home warranty company will accept your service request and will send certified and insured specialists to your house within hours of your call.
With that being said, only a portion of the dozens of companies offering their services in the TX area are in fact "top 10 home warranty company in Texas". Reviewing various aspects of such a plan and conducting a thorough comparison to alternatives is vital in order to find a company that will meet your requirements. Do not settle for anything but a perfect fit with a reputable firm that you can trust!