Pennsylvania homeowners have their choice of busy cities, beautiful suburbs, or country living. Whether you’re located in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Scranton, or Gettysburg, there is a place for you and plenty of history to accompany it. However, all homes come with their share of problems and maintenance. A PA home warranty will save you money and protect you from unexpected home repairs or replacements on home systems and appliances. Finding the best home warranty company in Pennsylvania for your home can save your wallet and offer you peace of mind.
In our in-depth guide you’ll find:
- Our top 7 recommended home warranty providers offering policies in Pennsylvania
- Information on what you can expect to pay for your home warranty
- Details on what is covered by your home warranty
- Features and factors you should take into consideration when you shop for a warranty
- Some of the most commonly asked questions about home warranties in Pennsylvania
Limited Time: New Customers Get $50 Off
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off + 2 Free Months + roof coverage
We’ll also provide you with resources you can use to get a quote from our favorite home warranty providers.
Most homeowners already know that they need to maintain a homeowner’s insurance policy to protect the interior and exterior of their property. But what would you do if 1 of your major systems or appliances breaks down due to normal wear-and-tear? Homeowner’s insurance won’t cover these breakdowns—which means that you might be left holding a bill of $1,000 or more.
A home warranty is a type of protection that helps mitigate the cost of regular home appliance repairs and replacements that homeowner’s insurance won’t cover. In exchange for a monthly premium payment and a per-incident service fee, your home warranty company will cover the cost of appliance and system breakdowns. This can end up saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
Read on to learn more about our favorite home warranty providers in Pennsylvania and what’s covered on each policy.
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
Top 7 Best Home Warranty Companies in Pennsylvania:
- Choice Home Warranty (Best Overall)
- American Home Shield (Most Customizable)
- Select Home Warranty (Most Affordable)
- Home Service Club (Best For Quick Coverage)
- Liberty Home Guard (Best Customer Service)
- Cinch Home Services (Best Add-On Options)
- First Premier Home Warranty (Best Coverage)
Compare Pennsylvania Home Warranty Providers
Need home warranty coverage fast? If you don’t have time to read through all of our reviews, you can use the following table to narrow down your options.
|Provider||Visit Site||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Site||Best Overall||$40 - $48||$85||B-|
|American Home Shield||Site||Most Customizable||$50 - $60||$75 - $150||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Site||Most Affordable||$36 - $38||$60||B|
Home Service Club
Best For Quick Coverage
Liberty Home Guard
Best Customer Service
$40 - $60
Cinch Home Services
Best Add On Coverage
$28 - $40
$100 - $150
First Premier Home Warranty
Rates were calculated using a home in Pennsylvania with a square footage of less than 5,000. If your home is larger than 5,000 square feet, expect to pay more for service.
Pennsylvania Home Warranty Costs
After reading our reviews and the benefits of the best home warranties in Pennsylvania, you may be starting to see the value in a home warranty. However, to have all the pieces come together, the price of the plan has to be right for your budget. The home warranty costs are very important to understand. Costs will be impacted by location, monthly pricing, home type, service fees, and even coverage caps. At Review Home Warranties, we have done in-depth research on all of the companies currently offering home warranty policies in the state of Pennsylvania. We then arranged this information so that you can see the averages across all different home types. Having this knowledge before you start shopping can help you see if you are getting a good or bad price for a warranty.
Average Annual Premium
Single Family Home
Home Over 5,000 sq. ft.
Home Under 5,000 sq. ft.
Pennsylvania Home Warranty Companies Reviews
When choosing a home warranty, there are a number of things to take into account. Some of the factors you’ll want to keep at the top of your mind when you compare your options include the following.
- Premiums: Your premium is the amount of money you’ll pay each month to maintain your home warranty coverage. Choose a premium that fits well into your monthly budget.
- Service fee: In addition to your premium, you’ll pay a service fee each time you use your coverage. Some home warranty companies allow you to enjoy a lower premium in exchange for signing onto a policy with a higher service fee.
- What’s included in your coverage: Every home warranty plan covers its own unique set of components. If you have a specific list of appliances and systems you want coverage for, be sure that the policy you choose covers them.
Now, let’s get started with the best home warranty companies in Pennsylvania.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty took home our award for the best home warranty provider overall thanks to the company’s easy-to-understand plan options. With two simple plan options and straightforward explanations of what’s covered on each, it’s easy to find a plan even if you’ve never purchased a home warranty before. Choice’s team has also gone out of their way to explain the specific benefits that come with a home warranty so you can decide if this is right for you. In addition to easy plan options, Choice also makes it easy to sign up for coverage. Simply enter a few details about your home, select a plan, and finalize your request for coverage. We also found that plan options and service fees were also affordable when compared to competing home warranty providers in the Keystone State.
Affordable service fees
Additional monthly service fee added to your coverage
Lower than average monthly premiums
Comprehensive standard plan coverages
Easy-to-use claims process
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Choice Home Warranty currently offers two plan options: the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. If your home is less than 5,000 square feet, you can expect to pay about $46 a month for the Basic Plan and $55 per month for the Total Plan. Both of the plans offered by Choice Home Warranty are combo plans, meaning they each offered coverage on a combination of systems and appliances. The Basic Plan covers 13 home systems and appliances and the Total Plan covers those plus four more, with higher coverage limits on important systems such as air conditioning and heating. You’ll also pay an $85 service fee each time you request a repair, regardless of the total cost of the repairs, which is within the industry average. Discounts may be available depending on your location and billing frequency.
Take a closer look at Choice's plan options:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): This plan covers 13 basic home systems and appliances including plumbing system, ceiling fans, microwave, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, dishwasher, electrical system, garbage disposal, garage door opener, oven, toilet, ductwork, and water heater.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): This plan includes coverage on the 13 items in the Basic Plan, plus coverage on four more which are clothes washer, clothes dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner. Many items in this plan have maximum payouts up to $3,000, like air conditioning and heating, which is helpful in PA homes that experience all four seasons.
- Optional add-ons: There are nine optional add-ons running $40-180 more, including roof leak coverage, central vacuum, well pump, pool, spa, septic tank, sump pump, and stand-alone freezer.
Cost Per Month
Customer reviews of Choice Home Warranty are mixed. While some customers complemented the service technicians working with Choice, others complained that the company did not adequately repair or replace their systems when using their plan.
"My heating system stopped working during the coldest week in the South. I submitted my claim and received notice within hours that an appointment would be set up. I had the name, phone # and time the HVAC man was to arrive. The professional arrive and was thorough and fixed the problem and also helped educate me on my thermostat settings." - Paula W.
Read more on our Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield took home our “most customizable” home warranty company in PA thanks to the company’s commitment to ensuring a home warranty plan can fit within the budget of any PA homeowner with multiple service fee and monthly deductible options. AHS is an industry veteran with over 50 years of experience. The company offers coverage for systems and appliances in situations when most home warranty companies in PA will not. For example, American Home Shield extends coverage to situations when malfunctions are caused by a lack of maintenance. Additionally, American Home Shield offers a 30-day workmanship guarantee. This means that if you receive a visit from an American Home Shield representative and your system breaks down again less than 30 days afterward, American Home Shield will send another at their own expense. This helps you rest with the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing that your systems and appliances are in good hands.
Covers duplicates of the same items (for example, 2 fridges)
Does offer discounts for paying your annual premium in full
Doesn’t put an age limit on covered appliances
Allows you to choose your own service fee
Guarantees work for 30 days
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
American Home Shield currently offers three plan tiers: ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum. ShieldSilver offers appliance coverage on 19 items and ShieldGold offers coverage on 23 systems and appliances. ShieldPlatinum, the most popular option, offers coverage on 27 systems and appliances. The premium that you’ll pay each month for coverage will vary depending on the service fee you choose. American Home Shield (AHS) offers three different options for service fees: $75, $100, or $125. The higher service fee you choose, the lower the monthly premium would be. When it comes to fitting within the budgets of PA homeowners, AHS comes out on top. Not to mention the coverage you will receive goes above and beyond the industry standard.
Here are more details on AHS's protection plans (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- ShieldSilver™ ($34.27 per month): This plan includes coverage on 17 major home systems. Some examples are electrical system, air conditioning, smoke alarms, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, water heater, plumbing, and ductwork. Many of these covered systems have annual coverage caps upwards of $1,500.
- ShieldGold™ ($44.27 per month): This plan includes coverage on a total of 23 items, many of which in the ShieldSilver plan, plus a few extras such as clothes washer, dishwasher, microwave, oven, clothes dryer, and refrigerator. Many of the appliances covered have higher annual coverage caps of $3,000 per appliance with the same $1,500 cap on systems.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.27 per month): ShieldPlatinum is the best option for homeowners in Pennsylvania. It covers 27 major home systems and appliances including the 23 in ShieldGold plus garbage disposal, locksmith, and water dispenser. With this plan you also get free HVAC tune-ups, higher coverage caps, free roof leak coverage, and $1,000 credit for code-required changes, modifications, and permits.
- Optional add-ons: AHS offers six optional coverages such as septic system, pool, spa, TV, PC, and well pump.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
"I highly recommend American Home Shield. I pay $35.00 a month. My dryer and refrigerator went out and with in 24 hrs a repairman was there checking it out. I only had to pay a $100.00 deductible. The dryer was fixed in 24hrs. The refrigerator needed parts ordered. It was fixed in 5 days. Saved me hundreds of dollars. Very satisfied customer." - Michelle J.
Find out more information on our American Home Shield Review.
3. Select Home Warranty: Most Affordable
Select Home Warranty made our list of the best home warranties in Pennsylvania thanks to its affordable pricing. No one wants to pay too much for their home warranty. Whether you’re a new homeowner or you’re working on a budget, Select Home Warranty might be the right option for your warranty needs. You’ll be able to get coverage from just $36 a month depending on your billing frequency and plan you choose. Select Home Warranty’s comprehensive options aren’t only affordable—they also offer low-cost service fees of only $60 per service call. Depending on the length of your contract, you might pay as little as $40 each time you use your coverage from Select Home Warranty. This can make Select an excellent choice for homeowners who believe they may require regular repairs, or have a budget for their home warranty plan.
Exceptionally affordable policies
Lower than average coverage caps
Quick sign-up and quote process
2 free months of coverage when you pay for your plan annually
Lowest service fees
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Select Home Warranty currently offers three plan options: the Bronze Care Plan, the Gold Care Plan, and Platinum Care Plan packages. The Bronze Care package focuses on offering support for appliances, the Gold Care package focuses on home systems, and the Platinum Care package extends coverage to both systems and appliances. If you’re paying month-to-month, you can expect to pay $60.42 for the Bronze or Gold Care packages and $65.83 per month for the Platinum Care package. However, paying in an annual lump-sum could save you money. Discounts may also be available depending on your location, house size and billing frequency. Every time you use your home warranty plan, you’ll need to pay a service fee. When you buy your home warranty through Select Home Warranty, you’ll pay a service fee between $40 and $75, which is lower than most other home warranty providers.
Here's a closer look at Select's three plan options:
- Bronze Care ($57.67 per month): This plan features coverage on seven appliances including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, garbage disposal, dryer, oven, and clothes washer.
- Gold Care ($57.67 per month): For the same price as the Bronze Care plan, you can get this plan for systems-only coverage. It includes plumbing, electrical systems, heating, air conditioning, water heaters, and ductwork.
- Platinum Care ($68.08 per month): This plan is the most popular option for PA homeowners and covers all of the items in Bronze Care and Gold Care plus three more: ceiling fans, garage door opener, and plumbing stoppages. This plan comes with free roof leak coverage, as well as higher coverage limits of $2,000 on A/C, heating and hot water heater.
- Optional Add-Ons: Select offers nine optional coverages such as spas, central vacuums, pools, stand-alone freezers, lawn sprinkler systems, sump pumps, and well pumps.
Cost Per Month
Reviews of Select Home Warranty are mostly positive—the average reviewer on independent rating site TrustPilot gave Select Home Warranty a rating of 3.8 out of 5.0 stars. Customers who enjoyed their experience with Select Home Warranty regularly praised the friendliness and helpfulness of Select Home Warranty’s customer service representatives. However, customers who had a poor experience with Select Home Warranty complained that their policy did not cover everything promised to them.
"We called because our dryer stopped heating and had a technician come in a few days. He was polite, professional and diagnosed the problem quickly. The needed part was ordered and we had a working dryer the next week-very happy!!" - Kat M.
Learn more on our Select Home Warranty Review.
4. Best for Quick Coverage: Home Service Club
The Home Service Club is the best Pennsylvania home warranty for quick coverage. With the Home Service Club home warranty, you will not need an inspection to start your plan. When you decide on a Home Service Club policy, simply wait ten days, and the coverage will begin. Most home warranty companies will have customers waiting a total of 30 days before the policy starts. The Home Service Club has been on the market for more than 12 years, and they have a strong network of repair technicians and service professionals. Pennsylvania homeowners find that service is fast and that their needs are handled with care and detail.
No inspection is needed before the plan starts
Can be a high service fee
The plan starts after ten days
Not accredited by the BBB
Extensive coverage options even in the basic plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Although there are only two Home Service Club home warranties to choose from, this is all that you will need. The Standard Coverage plan has more than 18 covered appliances and systems, something that you typically don't see in a plan with just basic coverage. The pricing from Home Service Club is quite good when you consider how many items are on this plan. Overall the coverage and the pricing will be good for most Pennsylvania homes.
Take a more detailed look at Home Service Club's home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): There are 18 covered items as part of the Standard Coverage Plan. This is a comprehensive plan, so it will have coverage for both systems and appliances. The coverages include air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): With the Comprehensive Plan, you will get things like gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. There are 33 covered items under the Comprehensive Plan, and many of these items would be considered add-on coverages if they were with other home warranty plans.
- Optional add-ons: Home Service Club offers 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. Take a look at the Comprehensive Coverage to ensure it doesn't already have the coverage you need. The add-ons include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“I felt so incompetent when our sink was just all over the place. Upon calling, there was a procedural analysis of what happened, and I got to know the different parts of the sink. it was quite a learning experience. Afterward, they had the team over, and they fixed it up nicely. This was just one of many excellent experiences with HSC!”(Source)
Learn more by reading our HSC Review.
5. Best Reviewed: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is one of the top-rated and best reviewed home warranty companies in PA. Though Liberty Home Guard is a relatively new name in the home warranty industry, the company has already managed to stand out with an impressive selection of online reviews. Liberty Home Guard received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, an independent online review site dedicated to keeping companies accountable. The company also enjoys overwhelmingly positive social proof on websites like Trustpilot and Google Reviews as well. Liberty Home Guard also stands out thanks to its sophisticated online technology. You can manage and track your claim entirely through Liberty Home Guard’s online portal, which allows you to get a more accurate understanding or when your claim is likely to be finalized. Also in just two years, Liberty has established a large network of industry professionals across the U.S., created three robust plan options, and maintains a reputation for excellent customer service.
Accredited with the Better Business Bureau
Relatively new company with less than 5 years of experience offering policies
Flexible contract terms
Lower-than-average service fee
Easy application process
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Liberty Home Guard currently offers three plan options: Systems Guard, Appliance Guard, and Total Home Guard. The Appliance Guard plan protects nine of the most commonly used appliances in your home, while the Systems Guard plan protects six of your home’s major systems. Total Home Guard extends protection to all systems and appliances on both previous plans mentioned. Homeowners in Pennsylvania who own a home that’s less than 5,000 square feet can expect to pay $44.99 a month for the Appliance Guard plan, $49.99 for the Systems Guard plan, and $54.99 per month for the Total Home Guard protection plan. If you add any extra optional coverages to your plan, you’ll pay an additional $3.99 to $29.99 per month depending on the coverage option you choose. Discounts may be available depending on your location and billing frequency. You’ll also pay a per-incident service fee of $75 each time you use your coverage from Liberty Home Guard, which is competitive when compared to other home warranty providers.
Here are more details on Liberty Home Guard's plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): This plan features coverage on 11 major home appliances such as dishwasher, microwave, garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, refrigerator, oven, garbage disposal, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): This systems-only plan covers nine total systems, such as, air conditioner, ductwork, bath exhaust fan, heating system, electrical, toilet, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): Total Home Guard is the most comprehensive plan offered. It offers coverage on all 20 of the systems and appliances covered is each of the previous plans. This plan also offers generous coverage limits on most items at $1,600 and a $2,500 cap on more important items such as heating and A/C.
- Optional add-ons: For only $29.99 to $299.99 annually, Liberty offers coverage on more than 20 items including some unique ones such as pest control, gutter cleaning, re-key service, floor cleaning, lawn sprinklers, and wine refrigerator.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
Customer reviews for Liberty Home Guard are overall positive across multiple independent review platforms. The average customer on Trustpilot awarded Liberty Home Guard an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
Customers who were happy with the services that they received from Liberty Home Guard frequently praised the exceptionally fast service that Liberty Home Guard offered them when they filed a claim. However, a few customers claimed that they were left with no service after their technician failed to complete the job.
"They follow through on their promises. Even from my sales call, the salesperson did not make crazy promises and let me know not everything is always fully covered. He did say they always try their best to save their customers money even on uncovered claims, but sometimes I would have to pay out of pocket for uncovered issues. This all on the salescall! I just appreciated so much being shot straight. Thank you Aaron! Now on to my claims, I’ve had three claims so far with them, two of which were covered and one which was not. The two covered claims saved me $1,200 combined and on the uncovered one, I still saved $200, even though I did have to come out of pocket $500. I spent $650 on my policy and I’m only halfway through the term, so I’m definitely happy with it’s value so far." - Chelsea W.
For more information, read our Liberty Home Guard Review.
6. Best Coverage: First Premier Home Warranty
First Premier Home Warranty has the best coverage of all home warranty companies in PA. First Premier offers policyholders a unique blend of affordability and coverage. Though the company is a relatively new name in the home warranty industry, its already made a name for itself with a great series of reviews and a comprehensive range of coverages. First Premier’s plans include a wide range of coverage for some of the most common systems and appliances. This sets the company apart, as many home warranty providers force customers to choose between a systems plan or an appliance plan. First Premier Home Warranty also offers a selection of add-ons and even allows you to save on yearly premiums when you commit to an annual policy in-full.
Only 1 year of experience as a home warranty provider
Affordable service fees
Appliances and systems included on both plans
Wide selection of optional coverages
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
First Premier Home Warranty offers two plan choices: a Premier Gold Plan and a Premier Platinum plan. The Premier Platinum plan offers an extended range of coverages and is the most popular option among PA residents. Homeowners in Pennsylvania can expect to pay about $43 a month for the Premier Plan and $50 a month for the Premier Platinum plan. With not much of a price difference but a significant five more items coverage, the Platinum plan is the ideal choice. First Premier also offers a selection of add-on coverages. These coverages start at about $2 extra per month and may cost up to $12.50 depending on the specific items covered. First Premier's service fee is right at the industry average of $75.
Here's a closer look at First Premier's policy options:
- Gold Plan ($43 per month): This plan features coverage on a total of 14 items for as low as $33.25 per month if you choose to pay annually. Items included are ceiling fan, garage door opener, trash compactor, cooktop exhaust, electrical system, oven, dishwasher, ductwork, microwave, garbage disposal, sump pump, plumbing system, plumbing stoppages, and water heater.
- Platinum Plan ($50 per month): This comprehensive plan option features coverage on all 14 items covered in the Gold Plan plus five more for only a few dollars extra per month. Those five coverages are air conditioning, heating system, washer, dryer, and refrigerator. You could also get this plan for as low as $37.42 per month if you pay the annual pricing of $449. Additionally, many items covered come with coverage limits of $500 or as high as $1,500 for air conditioning and heating.
- Optional add-ons: First Premier offers coverage on 12 add-ons including roof leaks, free-standing ice maker, well pump, central vacuum, stand-alone freezer, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping, water softener, lawn sprinkler system, septic, spa and pool coverage.
Cost Per Month
Reviews of First Premier Home Warranty are overall positive. The average Trustpilot reviewer awarded First Premier a rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. Customers who praised First Premier consistently complimented the company’s fast response times, while customers who were not satisfied with their services complained that they had to wait too long for service. This shows that responsiveness may vary by local team.
"The customer service response time is PHENOMINAL !! It is refreshing to speak to someone in the USA and be able to understand them. It is also wonderful to have someone LISTEN to you and respect your concerns. After being a customer of American Home Shield for nearly 20 years - we are MOST HAPPY to now do business with and trust our home warranty with the Best of the Best !!! The customer service & pricing cannot be beat !" - Danielle J.
Read our full First Premier review for more information.
7. Best Workmanship: Cinch Home Services
Cinch Home Services offers the best workmanship guarantee in Pennsylvania. If you’re like most homeowners who are hesitant to invest in a home warranty, you’ve probably been inundated with horror stories about how a home warranty technician actually caused more damage to a system or appliance. If this is your concern, Cinch Home Services might be the right choice for you thanks to the company’s commitment to providing quality service. Unlike most home warranty providers, Cinch guarantees its workmanship for 180 days after you get your repair. This means that if your appliance or system breaks down again within 180 days after you first received service, Cinch will repair it again at no cost to you. This incentivizes the service to get things right the first time.
Longest workmanship guarantee
Higher service fees
High-level plan includes reimbursement for homeowner’s insurance deductible
Extends coverage to systems and appliances with unknown pre-existing conditions
Comprehensive inclusion brochure offered with all plans
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Cinch Home Services currently offers three plan choices: an Appliance Plan, a Built-in Systems Plan, and an all-inclusive Complete Home Plan. Like some other home warranty providers, Cinch Home Services allows customers to choose their own service fee. Service fee options from Cinch are a bit higher than competitors at $75, $100 and $150, but choosing a higher service fee can lower what you pay per month. Cinch Home Services has one of the most extensive lists of appliances and systems included in its plans, with Complete Home Plan covering approximately 30 major home systems and appliances. This plan can run for as low at $49.99 per month and for that coverage, you won't find a better price. Discounts may be available depending on your location, billing frequency, and the size of your home.
Here's a deeper look into Cinch's plan options (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- Appliances Plan ($44.99 per month): This appliance-only plan covers 11 items including microwave, cooktop exhaust fan, refrigerator, dishwasher, free-standing ice maker, refrigerator ice-maker, clothes dryer, trash compactor, food center, oven, and clothes washer.
- Built-In Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): For a systems-only plan, this policy covers an excellent amount at a total of 21 items. Those coverages are garbage disposal, air conditioner, ductwork, smoke alarms, central vacuum, spa, water heater, heating system, garage door opener, cooktop fans, attic fans, plumbing, septic tank pumping, bath exhaust fans, water dispenser, toilet, doorbells, electrical system, plumbing stoppages, sump pump, and whole house fan.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): The Complete Home plan is the best option on the market for PA homeowners. This plan covers every single item in both of the other two plans to cover a total of 32 major home appliances and systems. This is more coverages under one plan than almost any other home warranty provider. Plus, many of the covered items come with high annual coverage caps of $1,000-$2,000 as well as a $500 reimbursement for homeowners insurance.
- Optional add-ons: Cinch Home Services offers Premier Upgrade Package, which includes $1,000 for any unexpected costs that may occur during a claim, as well as three other add-ons: septic systems, pool, and well pump.
Cost Per Month
Built-In Systems Plan
Complete Home Plan
Customer reviews of Cinch Home Services are mixed across websites. Customers who rated Cinch Home Services highly complimented the helpfulness of the company’s customer service representatives. However, customers who were not satisfied with Cinch complained that they had issues getting service due to fine print in their contracts.
"Very nice pleasant interaction with the customer service representative , she was very friendly , understanding of my needs and very well informed about the company and the details about the warranty they provide and different pricing and deductibles available." - Lidia S.
Read more information on our Cinch Home Services Review.
Home Warranty Coverage in Pennsylvania Cities
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a type of service contract that covers the expensive costs of breakdowns on home systems and appliances. There are 80+ home warranty companies in the U.S., each with different coverages, pricing, and state availability. Most home warranty companies offer 2-3 plan options, and the plans will usually cover only appliances, only systems, or a combination of both. You can choose what plan you want based on the coverage you need for your home. That plan will come with a corresponding monthly premium and service fee. Monthly payments usually range from $40-$80 per month, while service fees range on average from $60-$100, but are only paid at the time of service.
Here's how a home warranty works:
- When a covered item has a breakdown, you will file a claim through your provider's online claims portal or telephone number.
- The provider will set you up with a professional technician to come and look at what needs repairing.
- If the item is covered, the technician will repair or replace it.
- You only pay the specified service fee, rather than the possible hundreds of dollars it would cost to fix the item out-of-pocket.
- That's it! You continue to pay your monthly payment and the home warranty contract will protect your appliances and systems when you need it.
Home warranties typically only cover the normal wear-and-tear on systems and appliances, and will not cover misuse, neglect, cosmetic damages, or pre-existing conditions. Unlike homeowners insurance, a home warranty will not cover damage caused by natural disasters such as floods, hurricanes, fires, etc. A home warranty can offer you peace of mind in that it will protect your bank account from the unexpected costs of fixing or replacing a home appliance or system.
How to Find the Best Home Warranty in Pennsylvania
Buying a plan from one of the best home warranty companies in Pennsylvania can be a challenge. If you’re already living on a tight budget, you might not think that a home warranty is worth the expense. However, when you compare the average cost of a home warranty per month with the cost that it would take to replace 1 of your home’s major systems or appliances, a home warranty is often significantly less expensive.
If you’re thinking about buying a home warranty, you should ask yourself the following questions first.
- “Do I already have coverage for the things in my home?”: If you’ve recently invested in new appliances, you might want to protect it with a home warranty. The good news is that you might already have a warranty for these appliances from your manufacturer. Even if your appliance’s warranty has expired, you might still have coverage if you bought the appliance using your credit card. Some credit card companies extend warranty length up to 24 months.
- “Will this warranty fully cover a replacement?”: In some situations when repairing an old appliance or system will be more expensive than a replacement, your home warranty service provider may offer you money to replace it instead. However, many home warranty companies in PA will only offer the depreciated value of your current system or appliance, which may not fully cover the cost of a replacement.
- “Do I know what my warranty covers?”: You should never sign onto a home warranty before you’ve read through the entirety of your contract. Even if a home warranty company’s verbiage says that something is covered, there may be limitations on the total amount of money that you can claim from your policy, which will limit its usefulness.
The bottom line? Be sure to fully read and understand the terms of your home warranty before you sign on the dotted line.
Home Warranty Tips for Pennsylvania Residents
As a resident of the Keystone State, you might have some specific concerns about your warranty coverage based on your location. For example, if you live in the Erie area, you’ll want to think about signing onto a warranty that provides extra leak protection. Due to the heavy snowfall in the area, you may want to add another layer of protection to your homeowner’s insurance.
The southeastern area of Pennsylvania was 1 of the first major hubs in Pennsylvania—and the United States of America. In fact, Philadelphia was founded in 1682 and was 1 of the most important meeting places of the founding fathers. Many of the historic homes in Philadelphia date back more than 100 years. If you live in a historic property, you’ll want to be sure that your home warranty doesn’t put a limitation on the age of the components in your home unless you know that they have been recently replaced.
If you live in a western Pennsylvania city like Pittsburgh or Altoona, you already know that wind originating from the Great Lakes can take a toll on your home. If you have a shingled roof, you may want to pay a little extra for a home warranty policy that includes coverage for missing shingles. Blown-off shingles are rarely covered by homeowner’s insurance but can cause damage to the structural integrity of your home due to leaks. Thankfully, many home warranty providers offer the option to add limited roof leak protection to your warranty.
Home Warranty Regulations in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania does not have a statute that requires builders of new homes to extend a warranty to the buyer on any appliances or systems they install in the home. Additionally, though many real estate agents choose to offer a home warranty as a condition of the sale of a home, there is no specific law in Pennsylvania that requires a home warranty to be part of a residential home sale. The onus is on the buyer to thoroughly do their research and ensure that the home is in the condition they expect it to be in at the time of purchase.
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Pennsylvania, it’s recommended that you get a thorough home inspection as a condition of the sale. Your home inspection is not the same thing as the home appraisal you’ll be required to receive if you’re buying your home with a mortgage. While the home appraisal will only provide you with a general idea of the condition your home is in, the inspection will reveal specific liabilities in the home’s systems and appliances. The results of your inspection can allow you to tailor your home warranty to fit the unique needs of your property.
Choosing the right home warranty can be a tough task. Be sure to get a quote from multiple home warranty providers before you decide which company you will purchase your policy from and completely read the terms of your policy before you agree to a contract. The last thing any homeowner wants is to sign up for a home warranty, pay months’ worth of premium and then have their claim denied when they need to use their policy. Our recommendation for PA homeowners is to go with Choice Home Warranty as their home warranty provider.
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranty companies in PA, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty plan. Here is what our review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for Pennsylvania Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency: If you are close to purchasing a home but need a bit of assistance with closing costs, the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency can provide resources on down payment and closing cost assistance.
- Pennsylvania Home Investment Partnership Program: For homeowners that are considered to be low-income, the Pennsylvania Home Investment Partnership Program will be a tremendous resource for finding grants and opportunities.
- US Department of Agriculture Rural Development: Many areas of Pennsylvania are quite rural. In these areas, the US Department of Agriculture Rural Development will help with various resources that can help you realize your homeownership dreams.
- University of Pennsylvania Homeownership Resources: The University of Pennsylvania takes a great interest in the Philadelphia area. If you are looking for educational opportunities regarding homeownership, this website can help guide you in the right direction.
- Allegheny County First Time Homebuyer Program: First-time homebuyers need to check on both local and national levels for deals and discounts. Some savings programs can help make it easier to manage your budget and allow you to add on a home warranty to protect your appliances and systems.