Jump to: Top 7 Best HW Companies | Compare Ohio HW Providers | Ohio Home Warranty Costs | HW Companies Reviews | Home Warranty Coverage | What is a Home Warranty? | How to Find the Best HW in Ohio | Home Warranty Tips | Final Thoughts | Review HW Rating Methodology | Resources for Homeowners and Home Buyers
Ohio is a beautiful midwestern state and not-to-mention affordable housing. With all four seasons and access to both city and country life, it’s no wonder the population has reached nearly 12 million people. Even with all of these perks, homeowners anywhere ship comes with its fair share of headaches and responsibilities. Sudden and unexpected repairs or replacements of majors appliances and systems can be detrimental to your savings. Finding one of the best home warranty companies in Ohio is essential to homeownership and peace of mind.
In this guide you’ll learn:
- 7 of our favorite home warranty companies in Ohio
- Information on what you can expect to pay for an OH home warranty
- Customer testimonials and reviews for each provider
- More tips on what you should consider as an Ohio resident
- and much more . . .
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
Top 7 Best Home Warranty Companies in Ohio
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Overall
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Reviewed
- American Home Shield: Most Customizable
- Select Home Warranty: Most Affordable
- America’s 1st Home Club: Best For Customization
- First American Home Warranty: Best Appliance Coverage
- Cinch Home Services: Best Workmanship
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Best Overall||$40 - $48||$85||B-|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Service||$40 - $60||$60||A|
|American Home Shield||Most Customizable||$50 - $60||$75 - $150||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Most Affordable||$36 - $38||$60||B|
|Americas First Choice Home Club||Best For Customization||$28 - $40||$50 - $65||B|
|First American Home Warranty||Best Appliance Coverage||$38-$48.50||$85||B+|
|Cinch Home Services||Best Add On Coverage||$28 - $40||$100 - $150||A-|
Ohio Home Warranty Companies Reviews
If this is your first time shopping for a home warranty, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by all the information being thrown at you about each provider. As you read our guide to home warranties, be sure to think about the following features and factors within the context of your home and your household budget.
- Systems and appliances covered: You should never assume that a system or appliance is covered on a home warranty unless the warranty’s terms explicitly state that it is. It can be helpful to create a list of items in your home you know you definitely want coverage for to more accurately compare plans.
- Premium payments: Your premium payment is due every month, even if you don’t use your home warranty coverage. Be sure that you choose a premium that you know you can afford each month, as your home warranty company has the right to cancel your coverage as soon as you begin missing payments.
- Service fees: When comparing plans, you’ll notice that some companies allow you to choose your own service fee. Choosing a lower service fee usually results in a higher monthly cost and vice versa. If you believe that you won’t use your home warranty very often and you’re just looking for an extra layer of coverage, you might want to consider electing to take a higher service fee.
Now that you understand what a home warranty is, how it works, and how to compare them, let’s get into our top home warranty companies offering policies to Ohio residents.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty the overall best home warranty company servicing in Ohio. Choice Home Warranty has been operating for over 10 years, handling more than 4 million service requests. The company’s impressive reputation has made it a major name in the home warranty industry. Their key benefits include easy signup processes, affordable monthly premiums, and availability across the state. The company’s two easy-to-understand plan options make it easy to choose the best option for you by detailing exactly what’s on each plan choice. The Total Plan offers coverage for most home appliances and systems while the Basic Plan has basic coverage on both categories.
Claims service available 24/7
Not Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited
90-day parts guarantee and 30-day service guarantee
One free month when you enroll in an annual plan
More than a decade of experience offering policies
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Choice Home Warranty costs vary depending on place of residence, level of protection, dwelling size, and the type of home. There are two plan options: the Basic Plan and the Total Plan, and both plans cover a combination of home systems and appliances. For both plans running under $55 per month, Ohio homeowners should go with the Total plan for optimal coverage. There is an additional service fee of $85 that is due each time you use your coverage. Although this is on the higher end for Ohio homeowners, the overall cost is evened out by lower monthly payments. Remember you only pay the service fee at time of service, and you don't want to pay the high cost of repairing the item.
Here's a more detailed look at CHW's plan options:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): For homes that are smaller than 5,000 square feet in Ohio, the Basic Plan costs $46 per month and covers 13 items. This plan includes coverage on plumbing system, oven, ceiling fans, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, toilet garbage disposal, and water heater.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): This plan offers comprehensive coverage on 13 items in the basic plan plus four more: clothes washer, clothes dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner. Most of these systems and appliances have coverage limits upwards of $3,000 on items such as air conditions and heating system.
- Optional add-ons: CHW has nine optional coverages including sump pump, roof leaking, central vacuum, well pump, pool and spa, septic tank, and stand-alone freezer.
Cost Per Month
Choice Home Warranty is currently not accredited with the Better Business Bureau and maintains a BBB rating of B-. On independent review site Trustpilot, precious customers of Choice Home Warranty have awarded the company an average review of 3.9 out of 5.0 possible stars.
Customers who had an overall positive experience with Choice Home Warranty frequently complimented the company’s technicians, who many reviewers said were knowledgeable and able to complete their work in a timely manner. Customers who were not satisfied with their experience from Choice complained that Choice’s network of technicians are not as skilled as they should be and frequently don’t have the tools they need in stock.
"Even through Omicron and everybody being out, the call back was a bit a late but eventually called back the same day. Thank you Choice for being there when I needed y’all the most." - Julia H.
Learn more from our Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. Best Reviewed: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard has been providing home warranties for only four years, which makes them a relatively new company when compared to other providers. This home warranty provider has overall low costs, low service fees, and a wealth of positive customer reviews. You can easily submit claims online or over the phone 24/7 and Liberty Home Guard will try to have a technician to you within 24 to 48 hours. Liberty Home Guard goes out of their way to ensure that you’re able to easily manage your claim. Using the company’s online portal, you can pay your service fee and track the status of your claim in one convenient place. Combining great service with reliable reviews, Liberty is one of our top choices for a home warranty in Ohio.
You can get coverage without getting a home inspection or needing maintenance records
Not as seasoned as their competitors
Has BBB accreditation and an A+ rating
Competitive service fee of $60
Free roof leak coverage
Plans & Pricing:
Liberty Home Guard offers three plan options in Ohio: an Appliance Guard plan (which offers coverage for 11 of your home appliances), a Systems Guard plan (which offers coverage for nine of the most common home systems), and a comprehensive Total Home Guard plan that offers a full range of coverages on a total of 20 items. For a single-family home in Ohio less than 5,000 square feet, the Total Home Guard, the most comprehensive plan option, would cost $80 per month. A Systems Guard plan would cost $74.99 per month and an Appliance Guard plan would cost $70 per month. The cost for each plan increases with each add-on you choose, and Liberty Home Guard has 20+ add-ons to choose from. If you're interested in adding items such as generator, pest control, or roof leak coverage, LGH is the Ohio home warranty provider for you. You’ll also pay a $75 service fee each time you use your coverage.
Take a closer look at the Liberty Home Guard's protection plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): This appliance-only plan covers 11 total items such as garage door opener, ceiling fans, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, cooktop exhaust fan, dishwasher, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): This systems-only plan offers coverage on nine systems, including electrical system, air conditioner, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, bath exhaust fan, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): For more comprehensive coverage, this plan covers 20 total items, covering all of the systems and appliances in the other two plans. The higher price is a result of high coverage limits on all items of $1,500 and A/C and heating system have higher coverage limits of $2,500.
- Optional add-ons: For $29.99 to $299.99, Liberty offers an extensive list of 20 add-ons such as gutter and floor cleaning, re-key service, lawn sprinklers, pest control, and wine refrigerator.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard maintains an incredibly impressive selection of positive reviews across multiple platforms. Liberty Home Guard is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and maintains an A+ rating from the company. Liberty Home Guard also maintains an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars on Trustpilot.
Customers who had a positive experience with Liberty Home Guard frequently raved about how quickly a technician arrived at their property after filing a claim. Customers who reported a negative experience with Liberty Home Guard reported that Liberty was regularly too liberal with their “pre-existing conditions” denials.
"I talked to Derek to set up an appointment for my pool pump that was malfunctioning, and he actually helped me troubleshoot the issue. I was able to fix it myself and saved on the deductible. I appreciate the initiative and conscientiousness that Logan employed to save me money and keep things convenient. The communication was clear and very friendly. Definitely satisfied." - Lynn M.
Learn more form our Liberty Home Guard Review.
3. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield offers a massive range of coverages and optional add-ons, which helped them win our award for the most customizable policy choices. However, add-ons aren’t the only things that make American Home Shield a flexible plan provider. The company also allows you to choose your own service fee, and their plans have exceptionally high coverage limits up to $6,000 per appliance depending on your plan. While American Home Shield warranties cover most home systems and appliances through their three plans, they do not offer coverage for appliances and systems that are still under warranty from the manufacturer or builder. If you have an issue with a completed repair, AHS has a 30-day workmanship guarantee, which means they will send a contractor back to resolve the issue at no added cost for you.
Covers appliances and systems regardless of age
No purchase of an annual plan discount
Covers the costs of any systems or appliances that need to be removed
No limit to the number of repairs they cover
Offers workmanship guarantee for 30 days after service calls
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
American Home Shield offers the following three plans in Ohio, ShieldSilver for systems, ShieldGold for basic coverage on systems and appliances, and ShieldPlatinum offers comprehensive coverage. Unlike other home warranty providers, American Home Shield allows you to choose between a $75, $100, or $125 service fee that’s due each time you receive service. Choosing a lower service fee results in a higher monthly premium. By Choosing the lower fee, you can get the premium plan for only $60 per month. With the Platinum plan, AHS also offers free HVAC tune-ups, higher coverage limits, and $1,000 voucher for code-required changes, modifications, and permits.
Here’s a closer look at AHS's plan options (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- ShieldSilver™ ($34.27 per month): This plan covers on 17 home systems including air conditioning, plumbing, electrical system, heating system, smoke alarms. water heater, garage door opener, ductwork, and doorbells. Systems covered under AHS plans have $1,500 coverage caps.
- ShieldGold™ ($44.27 per month): This plan features coverage on 23 systems and appliances such as electrical system, heating system, clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator. Many of the appliances covered have higher annual coverage caps of $3,000 per appliance with the same $1,500 cap on systems.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.27 per month): This plan includes coverage on 27 systems and appliances: 23 items covered in ShieldGold plus disposal, water dispenser, locksmith, and free roof leak coverage. This plan also comes with free roof leak repairs, free HVAC tune-up, unlimited A/C refrigerant, and $1,000 worth of code violations and permit coverage.
- Optional add-ons: AHS offers six optional add-on including septic system, pool and spa, PC, TV, and well pump coverage.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
American Home Shield is currently accredited with the BBB, maintaining a letter grade rating of “B.” On independent review site Trustpilot, previous customers awarded American Home Shield an average rating of 1.3 out of 5.0 stars.
Customers who had a positive experience with American Home Shield praised the prompt responses and service that they received from the company, as well as their commitment to get things right if a tech did a poor job on a repair. Customers who reported a negative experience with AHS frequently complained about the company’s cancellation policy, which they believe made it excessively difficult to cancel coverage.
"Repairman came out on time and saw my washer was not repairable, so he made the phone call to AHS to let them know. I received an email from AHS the same afternoon and was told I could order a new washer comparable to what I had from the list they had, or i could take a cash option. I chose a washer on their list and 1 week later it was delivered and installed and the old one was hauled off. It was easy, fast and professional. I love having AHS." - Cindy A.
Find out more information from our American Home Shield Review.
4. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty can help you avoid unexpected repair costs with their exceptionally affordable home warranty plans. The three plans they have offer coverage for different components of your home but are all still available for less than $50 a month as an Ohio resident. The most comprehensive and popular plan is the Platinum Care plan. This plan offers coverage for most home appliances and systems, as well as smaller things such as garbage disposal, ceiling fans, and the water heater. In addition to affordable plan premiums, Select Home Warranty’s service fees are also very reasonable. While some companies may charge up to $150 per visit, Select customers will pay between $60 and $75 depending on where they live. This means that Select Home Warranty can be a great choice for anyone looking for a little more home protection without breaking the bank.
Professionals that guide you through the purchasing process to ensure you get the best plan for you
Low coverage limits than comparable home warranty providers
Claims service open 24/7
Includes 2 months of free coverage with annual plan purchase
Special plan options available for real estate professionals
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Select Home Warranty provides three plan options: the Gold Care plan (which focuses on home systems), a Bronze Care plan (which focuses on appliances) and the Platinum Care plan (which combines the coverages found on both previous plans, plus extras). The Bronze Care plan covers seven appliances and will cost you around $61 per month. The Gold Care Plan covers six systems, including air conditioner and heating, and will cost the same at $61 per month. The most comprehensive option, The Platinum Care Plan, will cost around $66 per month and cover all of what's covered in the other two plans, plus three more items: ceiling fans, garage door opener, and plumbing stoppages. Select Home Warranty has an industry-low service fee of $60 per service call.
Here’s some more details on Select's plans in Ohio:
- Bronze Care ($57.67 per month): This plan offers the basic coverage on seven major appliances, including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, ovens, garbage disposals, and cooktops. It costs the same as the Gold Care plan but has appliance coverage.
- Gold Care ($57.67 per month): This plan covers six major systems including plumbing, water heaters, air conditioning, heating, electrical systems, and ductwork. This plan is same price as the Bronze care plan only covers the basic systems.
- Platinum Care ($68.08 per month): For comprehensive coverage, this plan covers all systems and appliances in both the Bronze Care and Gold Care plans. This plan has higher coverage limits on A/C, heating and hot water heater ($2,000) and comes with free roof leak coverage.
- Optional Add-Ons: Select offers a few optional add-ons such as central vacuums, lawn sprinkler systems, pools, spas, stand-alone freezers, sump pumps, and well pumps.
Cost Per Month
You’ll also pay a per-incident service fee of $60 to $75 each time you use your plan’s coverage. The specific service fee that will apply to your plan will vary depending on where you’re located.
Select Home Warranty is currently not accredited with the Better Business Bureau. However, the company maintains a BBB grade of “B.” On the company’s Trustpilot page, reviewers have given Select an overall average rating of 3.8 out of 5.0 stars.
Many customers reported a positive experience with Select’s technicians, who reviewers called both “friendly” and “efficient.” However, customers who complained about Select and rated it poorly frequently claimed that the company made customers jump through hoops when filing a claim and routinely denied viable claims.
"I had an electrical issue that needed immediate resolution, I called SHW's claim department and within 10 minutes they had a vendor calling me to make a service appointment. D Blake Electric and Refrigeration responded within 2 hrs and resolved the issue, my thanks to both SHW and D Blake for outstanding service" - Nyal R.
Learn more information from our Select Home Warranty Review.
5. Cinch Home Services (Best Workmanship)
Cinch Home Services has the best workmanship guarantee for Ohio residents. While its annual cost may be higher than some competitors, its plans do cover parts and components that some competitors’ plans don’t cover, such as drawers, handles, and knobs. It offers a 180-day workmanship guarantee for work performed, which much higher than the industry average of 30-60 days. This ensures that the maintenance done on your systems or appliances will be done correctly and hold over time. Cinch Home Services provides three plan options for homeowners. Customers can choose to cover their major home systems, their home appliances or choose the plan that offers coverage for both. They help you pay for large repair and replacement costs, eliminate the difficulty of finding a qualified service provider and give you peace of mind
Free water sensor included with every plan
High service call fees than most competitors
Cover a wide range of parts and components (handles, drawers, and knobs)
Homeowners may be eligible for a $500 homeowners deductible reimbursement when they choose the Complete Home Warranty Plan
Wait time for service can be as short as two hours
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
With each Cinch Home Services plan purchase, you get the first month free. The Complete Home Plan is the most comprehensive, covering over 30 major home systems and appliances, which is more items covered under one plan than almost any other provider. You can get the Complete Home Plan for as low as $49.99 per month. The Appliances Plan covers only 11 appliances, including clothes washers and dryers, refrigerators, and cooktops. The Built-in Systems Plan provides coverage on 21 home systems that include air conditioning, electrical, heating, ductwork, and sump pumps. Cinch also allows you to choose between a $75, $100, and $150 service fee. Here’s what you can expect to pay for your plan in Ohio if you choose the $100 service fee.
Here's a more detailed look at Cinch's plan options (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- Appliances Plan ($44.99 per month): This appliance-only plan features coverage on 11 items such as refrigerator, microwave, free-standing ice maker, cooktop exhaust fan, dishwasher, trash compactor, clothes dryer, refrigerator ice-maker, food center, oven, and clothes washer.
- Built-In Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): This systems-only plan includes coverage on 21 systems such as air conditioner, smoke alarms, central vacuum, heating system, garage door opener, electrical septic and septic tank pumping, bath exhaust fans, attic fans, water dispenser, ductwork and more.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): For the most comprehensive coverage, this plan includes coverage on all items offered in the other two plans for a total of 32 items covered. As features, this plan offers a $500 reimbursement on homeowners insurance per contract term and includes higher coverage limits of $1,000 to $2,000 per item.
- Optional add-ons: Cinch only offers additional coverage on three items: septic systems, pool, and well pump. Although this may not seem like a lot, you are covered on what more companies offer as add ons under the Complete Home Plan. Cinch also offers the Premier Upgrade Package to its policyholders, which includes $1,000 for any unexpected costs that may occur during a claim.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $150
Built-In Systems Plan
$75 - $150
Complete Home Plan
$75 - $150
Cinch Home Services is accredited with the BBB and maintains a rating of “B.” On Trustpilot, reviewers have rated Cinch with an average of 3.8 out of 5.0.
Customers who had a great experience with Cinch Home Services frequently complimented the company’s high-quality customer service representatives, who responded to questions quickly and accurately. Customers who rated Cinch Home Services poorly complained that the technicians that Cinch scheduled on their behalf often could not complete the repairs scheduled.
"I love my homeowners warranty through HMS. It has helped me many times when things such as a sump pump, septic cleaning, or even the furnace breaking down. When something does break down, there is only a small deductible rather than hundreds or thousands of dollars in repair or replacement costs. I got much more out of the service than what it cost me. I had it for many years through HMS. I'm very satisfied with this product." - Rhonda B.
Read our full Cinch Home Services Review for more information.
6. Best Coverage: First Premier Home Warranty
First Premier Home Warranty offers two coverage plans, the Premier Gold plan and the Premier Platinum plan. You can choose the monthly or the yearly contract option, with discounts and promotions offered for those who sign a yearly contract. Though only established in 2020, it is Better Business Bureau accredited and has a B+ rating. Each plan provides coverage for a number of home appliances and systems, which can make it easier for homeowners to compare policies. In addition, you can choose optional coverage which will add protection for things such as limited roof leak, pool and spa, and central vacuum. First Premier Home Warranty has a quality customer service team and a strong network of contractors, placing it among the top home warranties in Ohio.
Coverage for two air conditioning systems and two heating systems with the Premier Platinum plan
Does not offer sample contracts to read on the company’s website
Service fee of $70 is lower than most competitors
Deep discounts for those who choose to pay for their plan annually
Easy and straightforward signup process
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
First Premier Home Warranty offers both monthly and annual contracts for their two combo plans. The basic Gold Plan offers coverage on 14 systems and appliances for as low as $35 per month with an annual payment. For only a few dollars more at as low as $43 per month, the Premier plan offers more coverage with a total of 19 items. The Platinum Plan is the most popular option among Ohio homeowners. First Premier offers an average service fee of $75, which is the industry standard for most home warranty companies. Most of the items covered in either plan have coverage caps of $500, but a few items in the premium plan have much higher limits.
Take a deeper look at First Premier plans:
- Gold Plan ($43 per month): This plan features coverage on 14 major appliances and systems including ceiling fan, trash compactor, garage door opener, oven, dishwasher, garbage disposal, ductwork, sump pump, plumbing system and stoppages, cooktop exhaust, water heater, microwave, and electrical system.
- Platinum Plan ($50 per month): The comprehensive Premier Platinum Plan offers coverage on all 14 of the items covered in the Gold Plan, plus five more: air conditioning, washer, dryer, refrigerator, and heating system. A/C and heating have higher coverage caps of $1,500 with this plan.
- Optional add-ons: ServicePlus offers a few additional coverages such as septic, roof leaks, free-standing ice maker, well pump, spa, lawn sprinkler, central vacuum, septic tank pumping, stand-alone freezer, refrigerator ice maker, water softener, and pool.
Cost Per Month
Though First Premier Home Warranty has only been offering policies for one year, the company is already BBB accredited. Additionally, the BBB has awarded First Premier a “B” grade for service. On Trustpilot, the average reviewer gave First Premier a rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars.
Customers who were satisfied with First Premier praised the company’s customer service team and technicians, who they described as friendly and respectful. Customers who did not have a positive experience with First Premier Home Warranty complained that payouts were inadequate and often late.
"I was so impressed within the ten minutes the part had an approval. The tech contacted FPHW and while we were talking, the parts were approved. I was so impressed! Thirty minutes from the tech pulling up, condensing fan replaced and ac working. I am totally impressed with First Premier! I am a customer forever!" - Brad S.
Learn more from our First Premier Review.
7. Best for Quick Coverage: Home Service Club
Home Service Club offers the best quick coverage for an Ohio home warranty. The Home Service Club has been on the market for 13 years, giving it plenty of history and a strong reputation in the industry. The Home Service Club Home Warranty will allow coverage to begin ten days after the policy is purchased. Most home warranty companies will make homeowners wait 30 days before starting the coverage. In addition, Home Service Club has a very comprehensive Standard Coverage package with a wide range of home systems and appliances for a very fair price.
No inspection is needed before the plan starts
Can be a high service fee
The plan starts after ten days
Not accredited by the BBB
Extensive coverage options even in the basic plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
There are only two home warranty plans from Home Service Club, both of the plans have system and appliance coverage. The only downside to these two plans is no real “cheap” plan. The plans are reasonably priced, and they contain a lot of coverage. When you purchase your Home Service Club home warranty, there will be service fees associated with it that will stick through the duration of the policy period. Service fees will range in price from $65 to $125.
Take a more detailed look at Home Service Clubs' home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Coverage Plan is perhaps the most comprehensive home warranty plan for a basic package. You will have coverage including air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan covers all of the items on the Standard Plan and quite a bit more. The extra ten items include things like gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. The good thing about Home Service Club is that all of the major appliances and systems you need are part of the Standard Coverage.
- Optional add-ons: Home Service club offers 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. These include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“Had to struggle with a leaking AC for the entire weekend. My phone was not working, so I couldn’t call HSC immediately. My brother’s quick thinking saved me, though. He had mom, who lived a block away, call HSC for us. The repair crew arrived and fixed it for us in less than three hours. Wow!”(Source)
Find our more through our HSC Review.
Home Warranty Coverage in Ohio Cities
- Akron, OH
- Cincinnati, OH
- Cleveland, OH
- Columbus, OH
- Dayton, OH
- North Royalton, OH
- Sagamore Hills, OH
- Toledo, OH
- Weathersfield, OH
- Wooster, OH
What is a Home Warranty?
If you purchased your home using a mortgage loan, you likely had to agree to a number of conditions in order to keep your loan valid. One of those conditions was likely that you maintain at least a certain level of homeowner’s insurance throughout the duration of your loan. Homeowner’s insurance is a type of protection that compensates you financially in the event that your home’s structure, appliances, or systems are damaged during a “qualified peril.”
Qualified perils are usually very clearly defined by your homeowner’s insurance contact; some of the most commonly covered perils include fires, electrical damage, theft, and vandalism. But what happens if your refrigerator, air conditioning system, or another expensive appliance or system breaks down outside of the context of a covered peril?
Homeowner’s insurance will offer you no coverage if a system or appliance breaks down due to regular wear-and-tear. This can leave you with a repair bill worth $500 or more in many instances. If your system needs to be replaced entirely, you could be left with thousands of dollars of bills to pay entirely out-of-pocket.
A home warranty is a type of home protection plan that provides you with more affordable repairs and replacements when a system or appliance in your home breaks down. Like homeowner’s insurance, you’ll pay a monthly premium to your home warranty provider in order to keep your coverage current. When something in your home breaks down due to regular use, your home warranty company will provide you with a more affordable repair or replacement in exchange for a small service fee (typically less than $100).
There are dozens of home warranty companies offering policies across Ohio. We’ve chosen and summarized our seven favorite home warranty providers in the state to help make the decision a little easier on your end. However, ReviewHomeWarranties recommends Choice Home Warranty as the best home warranty in Ohio.
How to Find the Best Home Warranty in Ohio
Getting a policy from one of the best home warranty companies in Ohio can save you thousands in future home repairs or replacements. In addition to price considerations and the composition of your home, you should also take the following factors into account when you think about which home warranty is right for you.
- Any manufacturer’s warranties you already have: If the appliances in your home are on the newer side, you might already have protection on them from the terms and conditions of your sale. Even if you didn’t buy the manufacturer’s warranty, your credit card might include a warranty with your purchase if you used it to buy the appliance. Check with your credit card company to learn more about the protections you already have before you buy a home warranty.
- The ages of your home’s systems and appliances: Some home warranties in Ohio will not offer you a policy if your home’s systems or appliances are very old or outdated. Consider both the cost of the warranty and the age of your systems before you buy a policy.
- The number of years the company has been in business: Though a longstanding reputation is not a guarantee that a home warranty company is legitimate, older companies often have more experienced technicians and customer service professionals on hand to help you choose a policy.
An important note—most home warranties include waiting periods that limit when you can use your coverage. For example, if your home warranty has a waiting period of 30 days, you cannot file a claim until your home warranty is 30 days old. This makes it incredibly important to begin shopping for home warranties before something in your house breaks.
Home Warranty Tips for Ohio Residents
As an Ohio resident, you know that the climate in Ohio is generally temperate. The winters are cold with an average minimum of 42°F (6°C) in Columbus or Cincinnati. The summers are mild, around 60°F (16°C). The record low temperature in Ohio is –39°F (–39°C), set at Milligan on 10 February 1899. The record high is 113°F (45°C), registered near Gallipolis on 21 July 1934.
Because of its proximity to Lake Erie, Cleveland is the windiest city, with winds that average 11 mph (18 km/hr), and it receives the most snow, with average annual snowfall of 56.3 in (143 cm), while Columbus receives 28 in (71 cm), and Cincinnati 24 in (61 cm).
With these climate conditions, it would be wise to have the heating system covered under a good home warranty plan. The 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans, for example, cover all kinds of HVAC units such as central, including heating pumps, geothermal and water-source systems, built-in electric wall units, and multiple units.
One of the first things that you should know and understand about your home warranty is that it does not function in the same way that homeowner’s insurance does. This means that most of the northern Ohio area’s harsh weather conditions will not be covered by your home warranty.
For example, if you live in Cleveland or Sandusky, you already know that your home is situated very close to Lake Erie—which makes excessive wind a huge problem. If you have homeowner’s insurance, you likely have a number of protections against damage caused by wind. However, you might want to search for a home warranty that complements these coverages and provides you with a more complete set of home protection against wind. As an example, choosing a warranty provider with roof leak coverage can help you replace torn-off shingles that your homeowner’s insurance won’t cover.
If you live in a central city in Ohio (like the capital of Columbus or the bustling urban area of Akron) you won’t see blistering winds as often as your neighbors to the north. However, this doesn’t mean that you don’t need a home warranty. Summers in central Ohio can be brutal, which means that you’ll want to be sure that your home warranty includes coverage for your air conditioning system.
As you travel west, winters tend to be harsher when compared to the south of the state. Winters in areas like Cincinnati and Dayton are very cold due to the fact that the area is often surrounded by cloud covers. If you live in a city in this area, you’ll want to be sure that your home warranty covers your heating system, which is often put under increased strain during the colder months. You’ll also want to be sure that your insurance and your home warranty work together to offer comprehensive coverage for burst pipes, which are a common problem throughout Ohio in the winter.
Home Warranty Regulations in Ohio
There are no federal laws relating to home warranties, meaning home warranties are not required in any state. Regulation is on a state-by-state basis. It’s best to research the home warranty laws in your state to determine whether any laws defend you in the case something were to happen under your home warranty contract.
Ohio home warranty regulations clearly state that these home service contracts are not insurance and their sale is not governed by provisions related to insurance. The sale of a home warranty contract is considered a consumer transaction in relation to the Consumer Sales Practices Law. This law regulates the home warranty company, ensuring that the company cannot engage in unfair or unconscionable activities.
Before you choose which company you want to service your home warranty, it’s important to get multiple quotes from multiple home warranty providers. Each home warranty provider sets its own rates, and rates may vary depending on where you live and the size of your home. Start by getting a quote from at least three of our recommended providers before you make your final choice. With that in mind, we recommend Choice Home Warranty as the best home warranty company in Ohio.
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranty companies, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty plan. Here is what our review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for Ohio Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Ohio HOA Rules and Regulations: With more and more planned communities popping up around the state of Ohio, it is important to understand the HOA rules and regulations. These regulations may apply to your home warranty so that you understand what you are responsible for when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of your own home.
- Rural Housing Support Ohio: With the amount of rural farmland in Ohio, the state needs to offer support in these areas. For those looking to purchase in more rural areas, the Rural Housing Support can provide help to buy a home and help stay in it as well.
- Cincinnati Down Payment Assistance: For those living in the Cincinnati area, the down payment assistance program can be what helps you get set in a new home. With the Cincinnati Down Payment Assistance, you are guided during the entire process.
- Ohio Homeownership Assistance: The Department of Housing and Urban Development for the state of Ohio is an excellent resource for anyone considering becoming a homeowner or those that are already homeowners. From this website, you can find links to other reputable sources.
- Ohio Weatherization Assistance: In the state of Ohio, homes need to be prepared for any weather conditions. For low-income households that have a hard time affording this, weatherization assistance can be a big help. Weatherization Assistance can also sometimes help to make homes more energy-efficient.