From the beautiful mountains in Upstate New York in the Adirondacks, down to the bustling New York City, and out west to Niagara Falls and Buffalo, there is surely a place to anyone in NY. Homeowners in New York have the pleasure of experiencing all four seasons with plenty of outdoor activities to choose from. However, with those harsh Northern winters comes rough wear-and-tear on home’s major appliances and systems. Read on to learn all the information you will need to find the best home warranty company in New York and protect your home.
In this in-depth guide you will learn:
- What is a home warranty for a New York resident and which one is the best?
- What should you think about when purchasing a warranty plan in NY?
- What are the NY home warranty regulations?
- And much more!
Limited Time: New Customers Get $50 Off
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off + 2 Free Months + roof coverage
We’ve discovered the best 7 warranty companies in NY by comparing 68+ service providers against industry standard. You may use our comprehensive research and analysis on the most trusted companies in New York to match your needs. Check out our chart below for and continue reading to learn about the best home warranty companies we’ve reviewed.
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
A home warranty in New York State is a popular investment. Many new homeowners purchase it as soon as they close the deal on their new house. In order to help you select the best home warranty in New York State, ReviewHomeWarranties.com have collected and analyzed information on multiple companies servicing NY residents.
Top 7 Best Home Warranty Companies In New York
Compare New York Home Warranty Providers
|Provider||Visit Site||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Site||Best Overall||$40 - $48||$85||B-|
|American Home Shield||Site||Most Customizable||$50 - $60||$75 - $150||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Site||Most Affordable||$36-$38||$60||B|
Home Service Club
Best For Quick Coverage
Liberty Home Guard
Best Customer Service
$40 - $60
Cinch Home Services
Best Add On Coverage
$28 - $40
$100 - $150
First Premier Home Warranty
New York Home Warranty Costs
New York is not a cheap state to live in. Therefore home warranty costs become extremely important for New York homeowners to consider. As New Yorkers, it makes sense to have a general idea as to what the cost of a home warranty will be. When you understand averages related to single-family homes, townhomes, condos, and more, you can be better prepared to purchase a home warranty. When purchasing a home warranty, you will need to consider monthly costs, service fees, coverage caps, and more. At Review Home Warranties, we have done in-depth research to compile a list of data on the average cost for a home warranty in New York. Our research included all different types of New York homes.
Average Annual Premium
Single Family Home
Home Over 5,000 sq ft
Home Under 5,000 sq ft
Best Home Warranties in New York Reviewed
There are several home warranty companies operating in all of New York State. There are many things you need to keep in mind when considering getting a new policy. The following are some key factors NY homeowners should focus on:
- Premium prices: Your monthly premium prices are the cost of your home warranty policy each month, whether you use your policy or not. It's important to consider what monthly price can fit within you budget.
- Service fees: All home warranty policies come with a service fee that you will pay each time you contact your home warranty provider and they send a technician to your home. For example, if your policy includes a service fee of $75, you’ll pay your technician $75 for any type of covered repair or replacement. Sometimes home warranty companies allow you choose your service fee, and a higher service fee will lower your monthly premium.
- Coverage limits: Like most types of home protection, a home warranty policy includes an annual, lifetime, or item limit on the total cost of repairs or replacements you can claim. Each plan will come with its own set of limitations, and they often have a maximum of $1,000 per item annually. Be sure to choose a plan with a sufficient limit that makes you feel you're getting your moneys worth in monthly payments.
Keep these features in mind as you explore all of the top home warranty companies in New York.
1. Choice Home Warranty
Out of all the home warranty companies we reviewed, Choice Home Warranty has the most comprehensive plans, good payout limits, minimal number exclusions, quality customer service, and affordable cost. Choice has 13 years of experience as a home warranty provider and offers plans under $55 per month. A key deciding factor in our review looking for the best home warranty company is finding one with top quality customer service to help customers walk through the claims process so you don’t have to worry about nasty surprises when you need service. That said, Choice has 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year availability, and a 48 hour response time to get a contractor out to your home. Other providers tend to have slower response times and are less communicative about when technicians are assigned to your claim.
24/7 claims service available
Service fee of $85 is a bit higher than most competitors
Fast and easy signup process; can get coverage entirely online in as little as five minutes
Guaranteed labor for 90 days after a repair
Affordable plan choices
Pricing, Pricing and Coverage
Choice Home Warranty offers two tiers of coverage: the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. The Total Plan is by far the most popular option, covering all the major systems and appliances in your home, and several items that aren't covered under the basic plan. You get all that in the Total Plan for about $53 per month or $660 per year. Based on our review, Choice’s Total Plan covers these items at a more affordable price point than its competitors although has a few more exclusions, which is how they can justify charging a lower monthly payment. The Basic Plan costs $45 per month or $560 per year, and covers 13 systems and appliances. Although Choice's monthly payment may be affordable for New Yorkers, its service fee it relatively high at $85 per service call.
Take a deeper look at Choice Home Warranty's protection plans:
- Basic Plan ($45 per month): This plan features coverage on 13 systems and appliances including heating system, dishwasher, toilet, plumbing system, oven, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fans, ductwork, garage door opener, garbage disposal, electrical system, microwave, and water heater.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): This plan offers comprehensive coverage on the 13 appliances and systems covered by the Basic Plan plus four more items: clothes washer, clothes dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner. This is the most popular option among Arizona homeowners.
- Optional add-ons: There are multiple add-ons that can be added to either plan including sump pump, spa, central vacuum, septic tank, well pump, roof leaking, pool, and stand-alone freezer.
Cost Per Month
“We had an emergency because our air unit was not working and it was hot and humid. I called Choice Home Warranty and within hours we had contact with a local technician, who showed up on a Sunday to repair our unit and to ease our anxiety. This the third time we filed a claim. All of the local technicians were professionals, experienced and resolved our problems with effectiveness and efficiency" - Layla R.
Find out more information from our Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. American Home Shield
American Home Shield offers discriminating New Yorkers the most comprehensive coverage and is the most customizable plan in NY. This company is the gold standard with more than 50 years of experience in the industry. AHS has the best home warranty coverage with an astounding 27 systems and major appliances including trash compactor, whirlpool components, and faucet and valve coverage. They also have the fewest number of exclusions with the highest dollar limit payout amounts ranging from $1,000 - $3,000 per claim. Think of American Home Shield as cruising through NYC in a top-shelf Mercedes, or through the Adirondacks in a top-of-the-line Land Rover: More expensive than the competition, but it comes loaded with extras.
Most comprehensive plan offers coverage for 14 major home appliances and 9 appliances
Higher pricing on high-tier plans
Allows you to choose your own service fee
Offer an electronics protection plan that allows you to extend your coverage
Discounts offered on some appliance makes and models
Coverage offered for all appliances no matter their age
Pricing, Plans and Coverage
American Home Shield offers three plans: ShieldSilver, ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum, as well as a choice of service fee from $75, $100, or $125. At the $75 deductible level, you will pay $75 per month for their Platinum Plan that covers an industry-leading 27 systems and major appliances, or $45 per month for their ShieldSilver. The ShieldSilver covers 17 systems and ShieldGold covers 23 systems and appliances, which is great deal if you're looking for less but still great coverage on certain items in your NY home. The prices on the table below represent the monthly cost of each plan at a $100 service fee. Although this is high, there is excellent coverage in the ShieldPlatinum plan.
Here's a deeper look at AHS's plans (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- ShieldSilver™ ($34.27 per month): This plan covers 17 major home systems including ductwork, air conditioning, garage door opener, water heater, plumbing, electrical system, heating system, smoke alarms, and doorbells.
- ShieldGold™ ($44.27 per month): This plan features coverage on 23 total systems and appliances including microwave, electrical system, heating system, clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes cryer, oven, and refrigerator.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.27 per month): This plan offers coverage on a total of 27 systems and appliances, including the 23 items covered in ShieldGold plus locksmith, water dispenser, garbage disposal, and free roof leak coverage. This plan offers coverage limits $3,000 per term on appliances, and a$1,500 limit on systems. It also comes with free HVAC tune-up, unlimited A/C refrigerant, and a $1,000 towards code violations and permit coverage.
- Optional add-ons: AHS offers six additional add-ons including septic system, PC, TV,\pool, spa, and well pump coverage.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
"Easy to put in a claim and they immediately assigned a company to handle the problem. The contractor immediately sent a suggested date for repair. That did not work for us, so we called the contractor directly to change the date. Once the contractor arrived, he looked at the problem and fixed it. Then he double checked to make sure it would last and took the time to make small adjustments so the fix would last." - Jim S.
Learn more about AHS via our American Home Shield Review.
3. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty in New York. With Select Home Warranty, it will only take a few service calls to realize the value of having a home warranty company with lower premiums to cover all of the out-of-pocket costs of home maintenance. The fair prices are coupled with extensive coverage to offer three excellent plan choices to customers. An industry giant, Select has been in operation for nine years and has since been rated as one of the top home warranty companies in NY. With its Platinum Care plan option, you will get comprehensive coverage and free roof leak coverage, which is essential for the snow and rainfall in New York. Either way, the low monthly deductibles under $66 make Select an excellent choice for any New York homeowners wanting protection on their home systems and appliances.
Excellent customer service
Some items come with lower maximum payouts
High contractor professionalism and experience
Must file claims within 3 days
Great workmanship guarantee
Free cancellation in the first 30 days
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Select offers three plans: Bronze Care for appliances, Gold Care for systems, and Platinum Care for comprehensive combo coverage. Both the Gold Care plan and the Bronze Care plan are offered at the same price, as they only cover one or the other. For less than $5 more per month, you can get coverage on both systems and appliances with the Platinum Care plan. This is the most popular option among NY homeowners because of its value - only $62 per month for maximum coverage. If you pay annually rather than monthly, you will receive a discount. Select's service fee is one of the lowest on the market for only $60 per call, making these plans even more affordable.
Take a deeper look at Select's protection plans:
- Bronze Care ($57.67 per month): This plan offers basic appliances coverage on seven items including ovens, garbage disposals, refrigerators, clothes washer, garbage disposals, built-in microwaves, clothes dryer, and cooktops.
- Gold Care ($57.67 per month): For basic systems coverage, this plan includes six systems such as plumbing, water heaters, electrical systems, air conditioning, heating, and ductwork.
- Platinum Care ($62.08 per month): This plan offers the most comprehensive coverage on a total of 16 systems and appliances. It covers all 13 items in the other two plans plus three more: ceiling fans, garage door opener and plumbing stoppages. Platinum care also has higher coverage caps on air conditioning and heating systems, and comes with free roof leak coverage.
- Optional Add-Ons: Select Home warranty offers optional coverage on lawn sprinkler systems, central vacuum, sump pumps, pools, stand-alone freezers, spas, and well pumps.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying
"I have had nothing but good experiences with this home warranty. I have dealt w another in the past and never had anything resolved or paid for but SHW has been great!! Upon reading these reviews I kept looking to confirm it was regarding Select bc my experiences have been totally opposite. They have covered literally everything except an exhaust fan in my home. I actually just extended my coverage for another 5 years and bought a three year for my sis. Really!! The other home warranty I dealt with I would never recommend but I have been totally pleased w Select!" - Laura K.
To get more information read our Select Home Warranty Review.
4. Best for Quick Coverage: Home Service Club
Home Service Club is the best New York home warranty for quick coverage. Home warranty coverage will typically take about 30 days to go into effect. This is a protection that home warranty companies have put into place to protect against pre-existing conditions issues. With the Home Service Club home warranty, coverage will start after ten days. In addition, you will not need an inspection done before purchasing your plan, and you can get started towards those ten days today. Home Service Club has been on the market for 13 years, and they have done a great job of building up the repair technician teams and fair pricing.
No inspection is needed before the plan starts
Can be a high service fee
The plan starts after ten days
Not accredited by the BBB
Extensive coverage options even in the basic plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The Home Service Clubs' pricing is average compared to other home warranty companies. However, one thing that helps this plan stand out is the number of coverages included with the base level or standard coverage. If you are looking for a wide range of both systems and appliances for a fair price, Home Service Club is a great choice to consider.
Take a more detailed look at Home Service Club's home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Plan is the most basic option from Home Service Club. Homeowners will benefit from the number of covered items included in the standard coverage plan. The coverages include air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more. For a base level plan from a company, the Home Service Club Standard Coverage has a lot to offer.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan from Home Service Club takes the Standard Plan and increases the coverage by about ten total items. Some of these coverages include gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. Make sure you consider all coverages to see that you need these things as part of your plan.
- Optional add-ons: Home Service club offers 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. Take a look at the Comprehensive Coverage to ensure it doesn't already have the coverage you need. The add ons include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“Home Service Club is a great opportunity to capitalize on. They have the nicest people around. I learn plenty from them! My understanding of things has increased like never before! The repairman told me about how to maintain my own toilet and how to fix a clogged sink next time. Talk about getting money worth!”(Source)
Learn more by reading the The Home Service Club review.
5. Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is the best reviewed home warranty company in New York. Liberty Home Guard is known for their customer service expertise and quick response time. It is also a tech-savvy company. This attention to technology will be seen immediately on its website and when exploring the brand new customer portal. If you like a streamlined, user-friendly process for your home warranty policy, Liberty is a great choice. Liberty Home Guard has only been in the industry for a few years, yet it has grown a network of more than 10,000 certified contractors from around the country. So whether you are getting protection for your Air BNB in Montauk or the family homestead in Boucherville, there will be a contractor nearby to service the call.
A+ rating on BBB
A newer company that only came into business in 2019
Low service fee of only $60
Contractors are intensely vetted and trusted by LHG
Wide range of add-on coverages is available
Do not require a home inspection or maintenance record prior to getting coverage
Pricing, Plans and Coverage
Liberty Home Guard offers three plans, the Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard. The least expensive is the Appliance Guard at just under $70 per month and covering 11 major appliances, including dryer, washer, and refrigerator. The Systems Guard runs about $75 per month and will get you coverage on nine systems including air conditioner and heating. The combo plan Total Home Guard covers systems and appliances for just under $80 per month - the best value and the most popular choice. Total Home Guard has extensive coverage of 20 home systems and appliances. Liberty also has among the lower service call fees at $75. This is a relief considering the high price tag of monthly payments.
Here's a closer look at Liberty Home Guard's protection plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): This plan features coverage on 11 appliances including garage door opener, refrigerator ice-maker, garbage disposal, oven, microwave, clothes washer, cooktop exhaust fan, dishwasher, ceiling fans, refrigerator, and clothes dryer.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): For basic systems coverage, this plan features nine systems including heating system, electrical system, plumbing, bath exhaust fan, air conditioner, toilet, plumbing stoppages, ductwork, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): This plan offers comprehensive coverage on a total of 20 systems and appliances, all of the items covered in BOTH of the previous plan options. Heating systems and A/C units have high maximum payouts at $2,500, while other appliances and systems still have a generous payouts up to $1,600.
- Optional add-ons: Liberty offers additional coverage on an incredible 20+ items, the most unique ones being gutter and floor cleaning, re-key service, lawn sprinklers, pest control, and wine refrigerator.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
“I worked with a representative named *****. I could not have had any better service. He was very professional but yet was a joy to speak to. He was very patient to help me with any and all questions asked. When and if I ever have to call in again. it would be my pleasure to speak to *****. He is the 20 thumbs up representative to represent Liberty Home Guard. They would lose an essential and valuable person to represent their company if he should ever not work with them." - Myra B.
Learn more in our Liberty Home Guard Review.
6. First Premier Home Warranty (Best Coverage)
If you want to keep things simple, First Premier is a great pick for your New York home. First Premier offers the best coverage of any home warranty company in New York. They offer two plans, so if you are fatigued by the choices you have to make in your life, First Premier has you covered! The Platinum plan offered the most comprehensive coverage, including protection on all the main systems and appliances you expect to be protected in your New York residence such as HVAC, plumbing, and electrical. Although First Premier is a newer company, it has established a reputation for having fair pricing, comprehensive coverage, and excellent customer support reflected in their A- rating from the BBB.
Online portal with 24/7 service available
Only been in business since 2020
Lower-than-average service fees
Premier Platinum plan offers coverage for multiple of the same system
Excellent discounts for annual plans
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
First Premier offers two combo plans for appliances and systems: the Premier Gold Plan and the Premier Platinum Plan. First Premier's Gold Plan is their most basic plan, covering 14 items and running for as low as $35 per month with a $75 service fee. The Premier Platinum Plan is its most comprehensive plan, offering coverage of 19 systems and appliances for as low as $43 per month. Home cost and size it typically much larger in NY, causing the cost of home warranties to be higher. Below you will find the typical price for a First Premier home warranty in New York with a $75 service fee. Although the monthly payments are low, they result in low coverage limits of $400-500 on most items.
Take a closer look at First Premier's plans:
- Gold Plan ($43 per month): This plan offers basic coverage on 14 items including ceiling fan, garage door opener, microwave, trash compactor, oven, dishwasher, sump pump, ductwork, garbage disposal, water heater, plumbing system, plumbing stoppages, cooktop exhaust, and electrical system.
- Platinum Plan ($50 per month): This plan is the most comprehensive option, featuring coverage on all 14 items covered in the Gold Plan, plus five more: air conditioning, refrigerator, washer, dryer, and heating system. This plan offers higher annual payouts on on air conditioning and heating at $1,500 each per term.
- Optional add-ons: There are multiple add-on options including central vacuum, refrigerator ice maker, roof leaks, stand-alone freezer, well pump, water softener, lawn sprinkler, septic, free-standing ice maker, spa, septic tank pumping, and pool.
Cost Per Month
“I had a great experience with this company. My home warranty was easy to register for and the company was very helpful. The company representative was able to answer all of my questions and I was able to get the warranty that I needed for my home. I would highly recommend First Premier Home Warranty to anyone who is looking for a great home warranty plan." - Elsie C.
For more information, read our First Premier Review.
7. Cinch Home Services
Cinch Home Services has the best workmanship guarantee of all home warranty companies in New York State. With Cinch Home Services you’ll get great plan options and one of the most generous workmanship guarantees in the business. You don’t want to come to your summer home outside of Old Forge and find the pipes burst after they were fixed under Cinch coverage over the winter. But if you do, you have a full six months for re-service. Most companies offer 60-90 days, but Cinch makes sure you're protected with a 180-day guarantee. Cinch has been operating in the home warranty industry for more than 40, and since has built a reputation of excellent customer service, great pricing, and comprehensive coverage.
Easy to read plan documents making it easy for customers to know what coverage they’re getting
Higher-than-average service fees
Able to choose your own service fee
Coverage for parts and components such as knobs and doors
Homeowners may be eligible for a $500 homeowners deductible reimbursement when they choose the Complete Home Plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
Cinch Home Services offers three plans: the Appliances Plan, the Built-in Systems Plan, and the Complete Home Plan. The Appliances Plan covers 11 home appliances, including food center, over and range, refrigerator, and your washer and dryer. The Built-in Systems plan covers 21 home systems, including heating, electrical, plumbing, air conditioner and more. The Complete Home Plan is the most popular option for New Yorkers and the comprehensive plan offered by Cinch, covering all 32 home systems and appliances. You can choose from four service call fees between $75 and $150. If you choose the Combo Plan and the $150 service call fee, you’ll pay a premium of about $49. That same plan with the $75 service call fee would be around $68 per month. The table below shows prices of all three plans at a $100 service fee.
Here's a closer look at Cinch's plan options (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- Appliances Plan ($44.99 per month): For basic appliance coverage, this plan includes 11 appliances such as refrigerator, refrigerator ice-maker, microwave, oven, cooktop exhaust fan, clothes dryer, trash compactor, food center, free-standing ice maker, dishwasher, and clothes washer.
- Built-In Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): For excellent systems coverage, this plan covers 21 systems including air conditioner, septic and septic tank pumping, smoke alarms, ductwork, central vacuum, attic fans, garage door opener, bath exhaust fans, electrical system, water dispenser, heating system, and more.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): The Complete Home Plan has the most items covered of any home warranty on this list, including 32 items, and it includes a $500 reimbursement for homeowners insurance per contract term. It also includes high coverage limits of $1,000 to $2,000 per item.
- Optional add-ons: For add-ons, Cinch offers the Premier Upgrade Package, which includes a $1,000 for any unexpected costs that may occur during a claim. There are only three additional coverages: septic systems, pool, and well pump. The Complete Home plan covers what most other home warranty companies would offer as an an optional add on for an additional fee.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $150
Built-In Systems Plan
$75 - $150
Complete Home Plan
$75 - $150
“From calling in because my heat wasn't working to having a new system installed, everyone was so helpful and kind, fast working and oh so helpful. I recommend a home warranty to anyone that owns their home!!” - Justin G.
Read our in-depth Cinch Home Services Review to learn more.
Home Warranty Coverage in New York Cities
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a service contract between you and a provider that covers the cost of maintenance on specified systems and appliances. Typical home warranty contracts will cover basic systems and appliances in your home such as refrigerator, washer, dryer, cooktop, microwave, electrical system, heating, air conditioning and plumbing. However, most providers offer 2-3 plan options with different coverages and prices to choose from. The home warranty plan also comes with a monthly premium payment that you will make to keep your contract in good standing, and service fee you pay each time you need servicing.
Here are the steps to how a home warranty works:
- A covered item has a break down and you file a claim through your provider's online claims portal or claims phone number.
- The provider helps you schedule an appointment with a local technician to come and look at the issue.
- The professional technician will identify the issue, discuss whether it's covered, and provide a solution.
- The technician will their repair or replace the item, or if it's not covered, let you know.
- You will pay only the specified service fee for this repair or replacement. This usually ranges from $50-$100 and is in your contract.
- Voila! Your item is fixed and you didn't pay hundreds in out-of-pocket costs.
A home warranty is different from homeowners insurance in that it will not cover damages from natural causes. Meaning, damage from floods, snow storms, fires, etc., will not be covered by a home warranty. Home warranty policies only cover normal wear-and-tear of systems and appliances. It will also not cover misuse, neglect, or pre-existing conditions.
How to Find the Best Home Warranty in New York?
1. Location of the house
Before you purchase a home warranty for your new house, think about the geographic location of your property. In the Adirondacks, Central New York, and other regions of Upstate New York, which includes such cities as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse, the weather is much more severe.
Due to the lake-effect snow from Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, these cities have much colder and snowy winters, compared to the more temperate climate of the Hudson River Valley, Metro NYC, and Long Island. Though in recent years, this region has been prone to flooding and other major weather events, so there are climate-related challenges in all regions of the state.
What does it mean in terms of home warranty? First of all, cold weather means that your heating system should have the best coverage options possible. And moisture and other weather events can cause all sorts of damage. Your homeowners insurance policy will cover damage caused immediately by natural disasters. A home warranty will cover wear and tear caused by weather and other factors over time. Practically every home warranty company provides some type of coverage for heating systems and air conditioning, but the terms and conditions may differ significantly. That’s why we’re here, to help you find the right coverage whether you live next to Niagara Falls, Lake George, Long Island Sound, or anywhere in between.
In the Hudson River Valley and Metro NYC, the summers are usually hot and humid. It is virtually impossible to live without air conditioning. In case your house is located on Long Island or New York City, the smartest home warranty decision would be to have the best A/C coverage available on the market.
For example, ServicePlus, unlike most of their competitors, will cover mechanical parts and components of two heating systems, not just one. This information might be crucial if you live in a big house and have separate heating systems for each floor.
In Downstate New York, the summers are usually hot and humid. It is virtually impossible to live without air conditioning. In case your house is located in Long Island or New York City, the smartest home warranty decision would be to have the best A/C coverage available on the market.
For this purpose, we can recommend Choice Home Warranty, which covers all parts and components of up to two ducted air conditioning systems, either central or wall units. All the units must be designed for residential use and should not exceed a 5-ton capacity.
2. Age of the house
In case you have bought a brand new house from the developer, you might not need a home warranty for the first few years. All your home systems and appliances are most likely covered under the manufacturer's or developer’s insurance.
However, as soon as this insurance expires, all thrifty homeowners in New York State purchase a comprehensive home warranty. Some of them start with basic plans, like the one offered by Select Home Warranty For only $29 per month, this plan covers the very necessities: heating and air conditioning systems, and a water heater.
3. Size of the house
Purchasing a bigger house does not mean that you have to pay more for a home warranty in New York State. As we have mentioned above, some of the companies, like Total Home Protection, take into consideration the size of your house and provide coverage for up to two heating or air conditioning systems at no extra charge.
Other companies, like Select Home Warranty, offer optional coverage for an additional water heater, furnace, or air conditioning unit for a reasonable price of up to $70 per year, or less than $6 per month. Paying a little now may save you a lot later if any of these items require an unexpected repair or replacement.
Check out this video for some seasonal home maintenance tips from WKBW TV in Buffalo, NY.
What Are The New York Home Warranty Regulations?
Before you sign a contract with any home warranty company, it would be useful to know which authority regulates them so that you could find a complain if something goes wrong and the customer service is unable to help. All home warranty companies in NY must be registered with The New York State Department of Financial Services as service contract providers.
What is the Best Home Warranty In New York?
Choice Home Warranty is our #1 pick in the home insurance market. Choice has more than 10 years of experience helping residents insure their properties, extends support 24/7 and offers three coverage plans to fit your needs.
For those homeowners who are interested in more comprehensive coverage, many home warranty companies offer Premier or Combo plans that include coverage for major home systems and appliances. These types of plans will work the best for the owners of older houses.
Select Home Warranty offers one of the best combo plans on the market. Compared to its counterparts, this company provides coverage for more home appliances and better coverage for all major home systems at a very competitive price of only $42 per month.
A home warranty can be very useful if you carefully do your research and purchase the coverage that fits your house best. Finding the best home warranty company in New York is not an easy task, and ReviewHomeWarranties.com was created in order to help you. We have collected information on multiple companies and organized it in a convenient way that allows you to compare different home warranty companies and their plans.
While selecting a home warranty, the most important things you should think about are the location of your house, its age, and size. Houses located in Upstate New York should have a home warranty that provides the best coverage for heating systems and water heaters, while New York City and Long Island residents should consider home warranty plans that cover air conditioner units.
For newer houses, the homeowners in New York State might not need a comprehensive home warranty. For their needs, many companies offer basic plans that include only essential home systems and appliances.
On the other hand, for older houses, almost every company on our list offers a Premier or Combo plan that includes all major home systems, kitchen, and laundry appliances.
Most home warranty companies develop their plans taking into consideration an average middle-sized house. However, if your house is bigger than average, there are companies that will either provide coverage for additional systems under their regular plans or under the optional coverage.
We hope that information we have collected and organized will help you select the right company to cover your home systems and appliances in case any unplanned repairs or replacements are needed. Be sure to read through our New York home warranty reviews before making up your mind (although it is always a good practice to inquire with a few companies and use the one you found the most reliable and trustworthy).
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranty companies, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty plan. Here is what our review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for New York Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau: New York homeowners have a lot of decisions to make when it comes to purchasing a home. For a safe and reliable resource for financial issues related to homeownership, including interest rates, mortgage fees, and the best ways to finance a deal, the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau can help.
- FHA Down Payment Assistance Grants: A down payment can help make homeownership goals possible. The FHA Down Payment Assistance Grants will help those that are very close to being able to make the dream of homeownership a reality.
- New York Help For Homeowners: The New York Help For Homeowners is a resource that can help with scams and issues that homeowners could face. Although all of the companies on our list of the best home warranties in New York are all reputable, there are others out there that are not. New York Help for Homeowners Can Help.
- New York City Homeowner Resources: Many homeowners live in the largest city in the world, and the information here can help homeowners that live in the city. Homeownership in New York City is slightly different from in the suburbs, and this website can guide anyone in New York City.
- Center For NYC Neighborhoods: The Center For New York City Neighborhoods helps homeowners with foreclosure issues, mortgage questions, and post-homeownership issues. The Center For NYC Neighborhoods should be used as a resource all throughout homeownership.