Written By: Amy Galloway
Edited by: Andrew Dunn
New Jersey homeowners have the benefits of being close to the bustling New York City life and the beautiful scenery of the Delaware River and the Atlantic Ocean. NJ has cold, snowy winters and hot, humid summers, giving those homeowners their fair share of home headaches. However, a home warranty in New Jersey can offer you peace of mind and protection on your systems and appliances. It is important to safeguard your home with one of the best home warranty companies in New Jersey according to your needs.
In this in-depth guide you’ll find out:
- What a home warranty is—and why you need one
- What to consider when you buy a home warranty in New Jersey
- Our seven favorite home warranty providers in New Jersey
- Common questions regarding home warranties in New Jersey
- and much more . . .
$200 Off + FREE Bonus Month
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off All Home Warranty Plans
Did you know that repairing a washing machine in the United States can cost up to $350 depending on the issue you run into? Or that you might pay up to $1,000 to repair or replace a broken refrigerator. These are just the costs that you might incur as a homeowner who has a damaged appliance—replacements are much more costly, especially if one of your systems needs to be replaced. For example, if you need to replace an old HVAC system, you should expect to pay between $7,000 and $10,000.
Most Americans don’t have enough cash in their savings to cover a system or appliance repair or replacement. Don’t count on your homeowner’s insurance to cover these costs either—unless they come as a result of a covered peril (like a fire or windstorm) your insurance will not approve your claim. Thankfully, you won’t need to worry about thousand-dollar bills when you enroll in a home warranty in New Jersey.
A home warranty is a home plan that protects you against the costs of repairs and replacements when one of your home components breaks down as a result of regular wear and tear. Like your homeowner’s insurance, you’ll pay a monthly premium in order to keep your coverage current. When a covered system or appliance breaks down, you’ll file a claim with your home warranty provider, who will send a repair professional to your home. Instead of paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars, you’ll get the service that you need in exchange for a small service fee.
Many homeowners consider a home warranty to be essential protection for their property. But with so many home warranty providers operating across the country, how can you possibly know that you’re working with a company that covers all of your needs?
We’ve created a complete guide for anyone looking for a home warranty in NJ. We’ll introduce you to a few of your favorite providers and help you get a quote fast. We’ll also provide you with a one-stop shop to get multiple quotes before you choose which home warranty works best for you and your family.
Best Home Warranty Companies in New Jersey
- All plans have comprehensive coverage. Most other home warranty plans cover either just systems or just appliances.
- Choice’s coverage caps are $3,000 per item, per year for most major systems and appliances beating the industry average.
- Choice Home Warranty doesn't exclude older homes, so you can still get coverage regardless of the age of your property.
- $200 off + 1 Month Free + Free Roof Coverage!
- BBB's Only A+ Accredited Home Warranty Company!
- 60-day workmanship guarantee compared to the average of 30 days.
- More than 20 options, including window washing, swimming pools, and irrigation.
- 24/7 service calls
- With over 52 years of experience and 1.7 million customers AHS has a long history in the industry.
- American Home Shield, lest you choose a service fee that works for your budget.
- Coverage caps for systems are unlimited across all three plans and are either $3000 or $6000 for appliances.
- $150 off + 2 months free
- FREE Roof Leak Coverage
- Good selection of plans
- Must file claims within 3 days
- $75 cancellation fee
- Save up to $150 on a new plan
- Choose your own service fee!
- Lower chance of claim denial
- Higher fee for contract transfer
- Higher cancellation fee
- Best Customer Service 2020
- $100 Instant Online Discount
- Plans from $25/m
- Automatically renewed policy
- First 2 Months Free on all Plans! (exclusions apply)
- Industry-leading 180-day workmanship guarantee
- $500 Homeowner insurance deductible reimbursement
- Thousands of reliable & fast local service providers
- 24/7 customer service
- Low cancellation fee
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
Top 7 Best Home Warranty Companies in New Jersey
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Overall
- Liberty Home Guard: Best Reviewed
- American Home Shield: Most Customizable
- Select Home Warranty: Most Affordable
- America’s 1st Home Club: Best For Customization
- First American Home Warranty: Best Appliance Coverage
- Cinch Home Services: Best Workmanship
Compare New Jersey Home Warranty Providers
Looking for a quick summary of our providers? Check out a few fast facts about our recommended home warranty providers below—and click to get your free quote.
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Best Overall||$45 - $53||$85||D+|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Service||$45 - $54||$75||A-|
|American Home Shield||Most Customizable||$25 - $75||$75 - $125||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Most Affordable||$44 - $48||$60||B-|
|Americas First Choice Home Club||Best For Customization||$46 - $68||$75 - $125||B|
|First American Home Warranty||Best Appliance Coverage||$52-$77||$75 - $125||B|
|Cinch Home Services||Best Add On Coverage||$45 - $62||$100 - $150||B|
New Jersey Home Warranty Companies Review
As you learn more about home warranty companies in NJ and what they cover, you’ll notice that each company has different pricing, coverage limits, inclusions, and exclusions. As you think about the home warranty that you’d like to purchase, you’ll likely want to keep the following factors in mind.
- Premium costs: Your premium is the cost that you pay every month to maintain your coverage. Be sure to choose a home warranty with a premium that you can afford each month. If you begin missing payments, your home warranty provider may cancel your coverage.
- Sliding scale service fees: Each time you use your home warranty, you’ll pay the provider’s service fee. Some companies allow you to choose your own service fee. Electing to take a higher per-incident service fee can lower what you pay in premiums.
- Standard vs. add-on coverage: Every home warranty company will allow you to add extra systems and appliances to your plan for an additional monthly fee. The add-on coverages that you have access to will vary between home warranty providers; some companies offer extensive lists of coverages, while others offer only very basic additions. Keep in mind that any add-ons you choose will increase the cost of your monthly premium.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at a few of our favorite home warranties in New Jersey.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty company in New Jersey. Founded right here in the Garden State, Choice Home Warranty has been providing home warranties in NJ for over a decade, with more than 4,000,000 service requests under its belt. This home warranty company offers competitive prices and comprehensive coverage through their two plans, with optional coverage available to add to either plan you choose. Their sign-up process is also exceptionally easy and can be done entirely online. The two plan options are the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. The Basic Plan covers a number of home appliances and systems while the Total Plan offers coverage for even more systems and appliances in addition to what the Basic Plan offers. This straightforward quote and signup process and easy-to-understand plan options make Choice Home Warranty our favorite home warranty provider in New Jersey.
24/7 claims service available
Service fee of $85 is a bit higher than most competitors
Fast and easy signup process; can get coverage entirely online in as little as five minutes
Guaranteed labor for 90 days after a repair
Affordable plan choices
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
Level of protection and type of home are two factors that determine the cost of a home warranty plan from Choice Home Warranty. For a home warranty contract for a home smaller than 5,000 square feet in New Jersey, the Basic Plan costs $45 per month and covers 13 systems and appliances. The cost of a Total Plan is around $54 per month, and covers the same 13 items plus washer, dryer, refrigerator and air conditioning. If you want full coverage, the Total Plan is the better option for NJ homeowners. You’ll also pay a flat-rate $85 service fee each time you use your coverage. Although this service fee may seem high, the low-cost monthly payments makes up for it.
Take a deeper look at Choice Home Warranty’s protection plans:
- Basic Plan ($45 per month): There are 14 total covered items with the Basic Plan from Choice Home Warranty. These coverages include ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fans, dishwasher, ductwork, garbage disposal, electrical system, garage door opener, heating system, oven, microwave, plumbing system, toilet, and water heater. The only major downside of the Choice Home Warranty Basic Plan is that air conditioning and refrigerator are not covered.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): The Total Plan is the most popular Choice Home Warranty plan in New Jersey. Although the Total plan is a bit more expensive, it has the coverages that New Jersey homeowners want the most. There are 18 covered items under the Total Plan from Choice Home Warranty, and A/C is included.
- Optional add-ons: There are just a few add-on coverages from Choice like central vacuum, septic tank, sump pump, well pump, and the pool and spa. The optional coverages will vary in price depending on the overall expense to repair or replace that particular covered item.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
We have been a customer of Home Choice for several years and used it twice, last yesterday. We called late pm, got an immediate email confirmation and within 60 minutes confirmation that a technician be at our house between 11 and 3 pm following day. At 10pm we got an email from the technician confirming the appointment. Also 3 additional confirming mails from Home Choice. At 11am we received a mail from the technician apologizing that he would only arrive at 11.30, which he did. He solved our problem in 30 minutes. — Dieter L.
Learn more at our Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. Best Reviewed: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is the best-reviewed home warranty company in NJ. Liberty Home Guard gives protection to your home’s appliances and systems, relieving the stress of unexpected breakdowns and issues. With three plans offered, homeowners can choose between the Systems Guard, the Appliance Guard, or the Total Home Guard plan. Service claims can be submitted 24/7 over the phone or online. After filing a claim, Liberty will have a technician over for the repair within 24 to 48 hours. One of the reasons why we love Liberty Home Guard is thanks to its wealth of positive reviews across multiple sites. The company has only been in business for a few years, yet has established a robust network of industry professionals and excellent coverage plans in that time.
A- rating on BBB
A newer company that only came into business in 2019
Low service fee of only $60
Contractors are intensely vetted and trusted by LHG
Wide range of add-on coverages is available
Do not require a home inspection or maintenance record prior to getting coverage
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
Liberty Home Guard offers 3 plans: Appliance Guard, Systems Guard and Total Home Guard. Appliance Guard covers 11 major appliances and will cost around $45 per month. Systems Guard covers 9 systems and costs $49.83 per month. The best and more comprehensive plan, Total Home Guard, covers all 20 appliances and will run you about $54.33 per month. Although LHG monthly payments may seem high, each offers a great deal considering the level of coverage you get. You’ll also pay a $75 service fee each time you request service from Liberty Home Guard. This is exceptionally more affordable than most competing home warranty providers. Pricing depends on the size and location of your home. The following prices are for a single-family home in New Jersey that is less than 5,000 square feet.
Here’s a more detailed look at Liberty Home Guard’s plans:
- Appliance Guard ($45 per month): The Liberty Home Guard Appliance Guard is one of the better options on the market for appliance coverage. It has 11 appliances on the plan. These include a refrigerator, cooktop exhaust fan, ceiling fans, dishwasher, oven, clothes dryer, clothes washer, garage door opener, microwave, garbage disposal, and refrigerator ice-maker. This is a great starter plan for someone new to home warranties.
- Systems Guard ($49.83 per month): Home systems are expensive to repair and replace, but the Systems Guard plan will have you covered. This plan covers quite a few home systems, especially the important ones that many homeowners struggle to keep in working condition. The systems included in this plan are air conditioner, electrical system, bath exhaust fan, ductwork, heating system, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, toilet, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($54.33 per month): Liberty Home Guard's Total Home Guard plan is the best option because of the mix of system and appliance coverage. The Total Home Guard has 20 covered items but is just a few dollars more per month than the Systems Guard.
- Optional add-ons: Liberty Home Guard has one of the most extensive lists of add-on coverage on the market with over 20 items. Some of these coverages are rarer, like re-key service, pest control, gutter, floor cleaning, lawn sprinklers, and wine refrigerators—Add-on costs range from $49.99 to $299.99 annually.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
What Customers Are Saying:
Tech from the AC company was very friendly and professional. He fixed the loose motor mounts which caused the squealing noise in our fan. — Sig O.
Read our Liberty Home Guard Review to learn more.
3. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable on this list because the company offers three tiers of plans in addition to a wide variety of optional add-ons. As the first home warranty provider in the United States, American Home Shield provides coverage for a number of major home appliances and systems with experience to back up the claims that they make. American Home Shield also allows you to choose your own service fee, which helps you balance your costs per month and per service call. American Home Shield's most unique add-on is its Electronics Protection Plan, which allows you to add all of your home’s major electronics to your coverage list. This includes TVs, laptops, desktop computers, tablets, printers, video game consoles, and much more. You can add unlimited devices to your plan, and any new electronics that you purchase when you’re enrolled in your American Home Shield home warranty coverage. This is a rare extension of coverage that we haven’t seen with any of our other recommended providers.
Most comprehensive plan offers coverage for 14 major home appliances and 9 appliances
Higher pricing on high-tier plans
Allows you to choose your own service fee
Offer an electronics protection plan that allows you to extend your coverage
Discounts offered on some appliance makes and models
Coverage offered for all appliances no matter their age
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
American Home Shield’s three available plans are the ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum, with ShieldPlatinum being the most comprehensive option for total home protection. ShieldSilver provides coverage for 17 major home systems including air conditioning systems, heating systems, electrical systems, and plumbing systems. ShieldGold covers most of the same systems as ShieldSilver, with the addition of nine home appliances including refrigerators and clothes washers and dryers. The ShieldPlatinum plan combines the coverages on both the previous plans plus a few extras and covers a total of 27 major home systems and appliances. The ShieldPlatinum plan is the best on the market for New Jersey home warranties. The price that you’ll pay per month for your American Home Shield plan will vary depending on the service fee that you choose. AHS offers 3 choices of service fees: $75, $100, and $125.
Here’s a more detailed look at American Home Shield’s Plans (note: these prices reflect a $100 service fee):
- ShieldSilver™ ($35 per month): The ShieldSilver is the most affordable American Home Shield home warranty plan. The plan covers six home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, doorbells, garage door opener, water heater, and ductwork. The coverage caps for these systems are typically around $2500, plenty of coverage for most New Jersey homeowners.
- ShieldGold™ ($55 per month): The difference between ShieldSilver and ShieldGold is quite large. For just about $10 more per month, you will get a total of 23 covered systems and appliances. ShieldGold is a comprehensive plan and has a customizable service fee. All of the systems in the ShieldSilver are included in the ShieldGold.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($85 per month): ShieldPlatinum is the most comprehensive home warranty in New Jersey. The plan has 27 covered items and very high coverage caps. Some coverage caps can go as high as $6,000. Although this plan is priced high, most New Jersey homeowners find it worth the money.
- Optional add-ons: The pool and spa coverage from American Home Shield is known for being some of the best on the market. Other add-on coverages include electronics, television, septic systems, and well pumps. With American Home Shield, you will be able to pick and choose coverages to put a custom plan that works for the specifics of your home.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
What Customers Are Saying:
Wouldn't recommend living without it. Especially if you purchase or own an older home. The policy cost [paid] for itself in the first year we lived in our home. Had our HVAC unit replaced for 1/10 the cost. Unbelievable. — Matthew M.
Find out more information from our American Home Shield Review.
4. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty offers affordable home warranty coverage to NJ homeowners. The coverage plans offer protection for home appliances, home systems, or both. One of the reasons why we love Select Home Warranty is thanks to its affordability. Select Home Warranty understands that not every homeowner can afford to pay hundreds of dollars a month for a home warranty, which is why the company keeps its policies affordable and accessible. No matter which option you’ll choose, you won’t pay more than $45 per month for coverage. Each home warranty plan comes with free roof coverage which is uncommon among home warranty providers. They have a large network of professionals throughout all 50 states that they offer coverage in. You can open a claim with their team 24/7, and the company will assign a technician.
Free roof leak coverage on new plans
Only the top-tier plan offers coverage for both appliances and systems
Lower service fees than competitors
Monthly fees lower than competitors
Discounts and promotions are available including $100 off any plan and the first two months free
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
Select Home Warranty’s Platinum Care plan provides coverage for all appliances and systems that the Gold Care and Bronze Care plans cover. As a homeowner in New Jersey, you can expect to pay $44.42 per month for the Gold Care plan or the Bronze Care plan. The Bronze Care plan offers protection for home appliances such as the refrigerator and clothes washers and dryers. The Gold Care plan covers home systems including plumbing, electrical, heating, and air conditioning.You can also save money and combine your coverages with the Platinum Care plan, which costs $47.75 in New Jersey. The Platinum Care Plan covers all of what's covered in the other two plans, plus three more: ceiling fan, garage door, and plumbing stoppages. Depending on where you live, you’ll pay a service fee of $60 to $75, which is lower than most competitors.
Take a look at Select Home Warranty’s plan options:
- Bronze Care Plan ($44.42 per month): The great thing about Select Home Warranty is that all of their plans are fairly priced. The Bronze Care plan is an appliance-only plan that has seven appliances. These include garbage disposal, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, refrigerator, and clothes washer. New Jersey homeowners who are new to home warranties find this a great plan to start with.
- Gold Care Plan ($44.42 per month): The Gold Care Plan is the same price as the Bronze Care plan. The Gold Care is also a systems-only plan. The systems covered are air conditioner, ductwork, electrical, heating, plumbing systems, and water heater. Systems are often more expensive to fix, and homeowners should consider this when choosing coverage.
- Platinum Care Plan ($47.75 per month): The Platinum Care Plan from Select Home Warranty is the most popular plan. New Jersey homeowners have quickly caught on to the fact that the Platinum Care plan is just a few dollars more per month but has double the coverage. This is one of the best values on the market in New Jersey.
- Optional add-ons: Each Select Home Warranty plan has free roof leak coverage. A few add-on coverages include pool, spa, septic system, lawn sprinklers, stand-alone freezer, central vacuum, well pump, and sump pump.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
"My Select sales representative] returned my inquiry with a quote that was an exceptional value versus my previous home warranty service. The value for the money is a huge plus with Select Home Warranty. I highly recommend them." — Eric S.
Learn more at our Select Home Warranty Review.
5. Best Workmanship: Cinch Home Services
Cinch Home Services has the best workmanship guarantee of all home warranty companies in NJ. In 2021, they received 16 Stevie awards for customer service. They have a 24/7 call center and a digital dashboard where you can make service requests 24/7. Cinch Home Services offer faster service than the industry norm. If a service request is made within business hours, they try to get a technician to you in just two hours. In addition, they have a 180-day workmanship guarantee which proves company’s commitment to ensuring that homeowners enjoy lasting repairs. The Appliances Plan offers coverage for larger home appliances including refrigerators and clothes washers and dryers. The Built-in Systems Plan provides coverage for major systems within the home including heating and cooling systems, electrical systems, and interior gas and plumbing systems. The Complete Home Warranty Plan is a combination of both the Appliances and Built-in Systems plans, plus a few additional coverages.
Easy to read plan documents making it easy for customers to know what coverage they’re getting
Higher-than-average service fees
Able to choose your own service fee
Coverage for parts and components such as knobs and doors
Homeowners may be eligible for a $500 homeowners deductible reimbursement when they choose the Complete Home Plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
Cinch Home Services has three plans NJ homeowners can choose from: Appliances Plan, Built-in Systems Plan, and Complete Home Plan. The Appliances Plan covers 11 home appliances, including refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Built-in Systems Plan covers 21 major home systems including air conditioning, heating, plumbing and electrical. The Complete Home plan is the best and most comprehensive option because it covers all 32 home systems and appliances. This is more than is covered in almost any other plan offered by any other home warranty provider in New Jersey. Cinch’s plan pricing varies depending on the state that you live in and the service fee that you choose. Cinch allows you to select a service fee of $100, $125 or $150, and the service fee that you select will influence the price that you pay per month. Here’s what you can expect to pay for coverage as a homeowner in New Jersey who selected a $100 service fee.
Here’s a deeper look at Cinch Home Services plans (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- Appliances Plan ($44.99 per month): The Cinch Home Services Appliances Plan is the most affordable choice from Cinch. The plan has a total of 11 appliances as part of the plan. These appliances include microwave, cooktop exhaust fan, trash compactor, clothes dryer, food center, refrigerator, free-standing ice maker, oven, refrigerator ice-maker, dishwasher, and clothes washer.
- Built-In Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): Systems coverage from Cinch Home Services is some of the most extensive on the market. The Systems include air conditioner, ductwork, water dispenser, smoke alarms, sump pump, septic tank pumping, bath exhaust fans, cooktop fans, garbage disposal, doorbells, toilet, electrical system, heating system, water heater, plumbing, and plumbing stoppages, garage door opener, spa, central vacuum, attic fans, and whole house fan.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): With the Complete Home Plan, you will get 32 covered systems and appliances. This is more coverages under one plan than offered by nearly any other provider. In addition, the Complete Home Plan allows for a $500 homeowners insurance reimbursement and a credit towards A/C filters each policy period.
- Optional add-ons: Cinch Home Services' add-on coverages for New Jersey residents can be a bit limited; however, you will find good coverage for pools and spas. In addition, Cinch will allow homeowners the option for a Premier Upgrade Package. This includes $1000 in coverage for unexpected costs.
Cost Per Month
$100 - $150
Built-In Systems Plan
$100 - $150
Complete Home Plan
$100 - $150
What Customers Are Saying:
I've had nothing but great experiences with Cinch Home Services. They are always professional and there is never a hassle. I wouldn't trade their home warranty for anyone else's considering the horror stories I've heard in the past. Keep up the good work!!! — Jeffery B.
Learn more information from our Cinch Home Services Review.
6. Best Coverage: First Premier Home Warranty
First Premier Home Warranty offers comprehensive coverage plans at a competitive price. Its two plans, the Premier Plan and Platinum Plan are able to be purchased with a monthly and yearly contract. We love First Premier thanks to its flexible service fees and its commitment to hiring only the best of the best when policyholders need a technician. This strict hiring process ensures that technicians are up-to-date on how to effectively repair the most modern appliances and systems. First Premier is Better Business Bureau accredited and although its BBB profile only has 13 customer reviews. The company works with a network of some of the best technicians in the country. While clients are not able to choose their own technician, you are able to get a free second opinion at your discretion.
Online portal with 24/7 service available
Only been in business since 2020
Lower-than-average service fees
Premier Platinum plan offers coverage for multiple of the same system
Excellent discounts for annual plans
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage:
First Premier Home Warranty offers both monthly and annual contracts for both of its plans. The Premier Gold plan covers systems and appliances including plumbing systems, dishwashers, electrical systems, and garage door openers for just over $40 per month. The most popular plan option is the Platinum Plan, which covers almost 20 total items for under $48 per month. You can save on either of these plans by paying annually instead of monthly. First Premier also offers a $75 service fee each time a technician visits your home. Here’s what you can expect to pay for your plan as a homeowner in New Jersey depending on how you choose to pay for your coverage.
Look at the details of First Premier’s protection plans:
- Premier Plan ($40 per month): The Platinum Plan has 14 covered items, including a ceiling fan, oven, cooktop exhaust, dishwasher, trash compactor, garbage disposal, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, microwave, plumbing system, stoppages, sump pump, and water heater. This is some impressive coverage for a basic plan from a newer home warranty company.
- Platinum Plan ($48 per month): The Premier Platinum plan has 19 covered items, making it one of the best value in the industry. These covered items are the 15 in the Platinum Plan plus air conditioning, heating system, washer, dryer, and refrigerator. When you consider the price difference between Platinum and Premier Platinum, you will see that this plan is an excellent value.
- Optional add-ons: First Premier offers optional coverage on 12 items, including a free-standing ice maker, roof leaks, stand-alone freezer, septic tank pumping, well pump, water softener, central vacuum, refrigerator ice maker, lawn sprinkler, septic, spa, and pool coverage. Most of the coverage caps for First Premier are considerably lower due to the low monthly premium cost.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
After comparing several home warranty quotes I decided on First Premier because of their coverage and reputation. They offer more coverage on their Platinum plan than anyone else and their pricing is also very competitive. I spoke with [a First Premier representative] who was able to answer all of my questions before signing up. — Karen S.
For more information, read the full First Premier Review.
7. Best for Quick Coverage: Home Service Club
The Home Service Club is the best New Jersey home warranty for quick coverage. One of the downsides to home warranty plans that many homeowners are unaware of is that these plans take 30 days before they will go into effect. This can be frustrating for homeowners, which is why Home Service Club has shortened its waiting period to just ten days. To start with a Home Service Club home warranty, you will not need an inspection. Home Service Club has been on the market for more than 12 years, and they have developed a strong reputation among New Jersey homeowners.
No inspection is needed before the plan starts
Can be a high service fee
The plan starts after ten days
Not accredited by the BBB
Extensive coverage options even in the basic plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The Home Service Club keeps things simple with just two home warranty plans to choose from. The home warranty plans may seem to be priced higher than a few of the other companies on the market, yet when you look at the coverage included, you will quickly see that the plan offers a tremendous value. The Standard Coverage plan has 18 essential home warranty appliances and systems and does an excellent job protecting your home for as low as $46.25 per month. The Comprehensive Coverage plan offers even coverage to NJ homeowners, covering a total of 27 systems and appliances. HSC also offers a fair-priced service fee of $95.
Take a more detailed look at Home Service Club’s home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($46.25 per month): The Standard Coverage from Home Service Club is considered to be the basic plan. This plan is anything but basic and includes things like air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($58.75 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan from The Home Service Club takes the Standard Plan and increases the coverage by more than ten items. The total number of covered items on the Comprehensive Coverage plan is 33. With the Comprehensive Plan, you will get coverage on things like gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more.
- Optional add-ons: The Home Service Club offers 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. The add-ons include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing, sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“Repairs have become ultra convenient ever since we got into HSC. Before, my wife or I had to be in the house to actually do the repairs. Now, no matter who is in the house, they can just pick up the phone! HSC will come over and take care of it. This definitely lessens the things that my wife and I have to manage for the household!” – Ryan F.
Read our HSC Review to learn more information.
Home Warranty Coverage in New Jersey Cities
- Cranford, NJ
- Harrison, NJ
- Edison, NJ
- Elizabeth, NJ
- Jersey City, NJ
- Newark, NJ
- Linden, NJ
- Paterson, NJ
- Piscataway, NJ
- Rahway, NJ
What Is A Home Warranty?
A home warranty plan is a protection plan that will help homeowners save money and time on home system and appliance repairs. Tracking down a qualified service professional takes time when your refrigerator or electrical system experiences an issue. In addition, it will take quite a bit of money to repair the home system or appliance in question. With a home warranty, you can simply file a claim and pay an affordable service fee to get your issues fixes.
Home warranty plans typically have a service fee ranging from $60 to $150. Each time you have a home warranty-related issue, simply pay the service fee, and a qualified professional will come to your home to fix the issue. You will also pay a monthly premium that is outlined in your contract and the same price every month. Home warranty plans give homeowners peace of mind about their home and their ability to afford it.
A home warranty plan will not protect against anything other than normal wear. If you intentionally break an appliance or do not properly take care of the routine maintenance, the home warranty company will not pay for the repair or replacement. In addition, a home warranty does not protect against natural disasters, as your homeowner’s insurance plan covers this.
How to Find the Best Home Warranty in New Jersey
While many homeowners consider a home warranty in New Jersey to be essential protection, every plan may not be right for every homeowner. Here are a few things you may want to consider as you think about the best home warranty in NJ.
- A home warranty is not homeowner’s insurance: Though home warranties usually cover appliances and systems that are also covered by your homeowner’s insurance, the two protections are not interchangeable. Do not assume that your homeowner’s insurance will provide you with coverage for regular breakdowns in your home’s systems and components.
- Home warranty companies in NJ will not cover pre-existing conditions: Almost every home warranty company will require your systems and appliances to be in good, working condition before you can sign onto coverage. Check the status of your home components before you sign onto a policy so you can make any needed repairs that may put your warranty in jeopardy of being voided.
- Failing to maintain your home components can potentially void your warranty: Your home warranty in NJ will not cover breakdowns that could have been avoided if you had been maintaining a proper home tune-up schedule. Your home warranty provider may ask you to provide maintenance records when you file a claim—so be sure to keep these documents handy.
Remember that home warranty prices may vary depending on the size of your home and what part of New Jersey you live in. We recommend getting a custom quote from each of our recommended providers for the most accurate possible pricing information.
Home Warranty Tips for New Jersey Residents
The unique and diverse climate of New Jersey makes it especially important to consider where you live and the weather of your area before you select a home warranty. Men and women who live along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean will face different types of breakdowns than those who live in the landlocked north.
New Jersey’s most populous city is Newark, which houses more than 300,000 residents and is located along the Delaware River. Newark sees an average of 48 inches of rain a year, which is almost a foot more rain annually when compared with the rest of the United States (which receives an average of 38 inches a year). This means that if you live in one of the many populous cities along the Delaware River (including Elizabeth, Edison, and Secaucus) you’ll want to consider the effects that heavy rain will have on your appliances and systems. You may want to invest in a plan that offers extra coverage for breakdowns due to rust or in a roof leak coverage plan.
If you live in a more urban area of New Jersey (like Trenton, Cherry Hill, or Jersey City) you might be living in an older property, as these cities were settled alongside the historic Philadelphia area. For example, Trenton was founded in 1719—meaning that the city is more than 200 years old. If you live in a historic area and you aren’t sure when your appliances and systems were last replaced, be sure to choose a policy that includes coverage for home components regardless of age.
The south of New Jersey is situated directly on the Atlantic Ocean and is home to some of the most famous beachside towns in the United States. If you live in Atlantic City, Surf City, Wildwood, or Cape May, you already know that summers along the coast are hot and muggy. This means that residents of these areas will want to invest in a plan that provides comprehensive coverage for their air condition systems, as well as any home components that can be easily damaged by humidity (like your electrical system).
Home Warranty Regulations in New Jersey
All new homes sold in New Jersey are required to come with a home warranty. These homes that fall under this requirement include single-family, duplex, townhomes, and co-ops. This home warranty should be acquired through the home builder. Warranty documents should be received upon closing or contract settlement. If the warranty documents are not received, you should contact your builder. Builders may also give you warranties for certain appliances within the home.
The home warranty covers from the time of sale for one year. This coverage is for defects in materials and workmanship. Coverage for design and installation of heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical systems is for two years. The warranty period is ten years for major structural defects. Home warranties should be transferred to new homeowners after sale.
One very important last point to keep in mind as you shop for home warranties: waiting periods are included on almost all policies. Like some types of insurance (like dental insurance) this means that your policy includes limitations on when you can begin using your coverage after signing on. For example, if your policy includes a 30-day waiting period, you cannot file a claim until your policy is at least 30 days old.
If you’re considering a home warranty in New Jersey, don’t wait until you’re left without a refrigerator or air conditioning system. Begin exploring your coverage options now to be sure that you’re never left holding a thousand-dollar repair bill. Our Recommendation? Go with Choice Home Warranty as the best overall home warranty company in New Jersey.
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranties in NJ, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty in NJ . Here is what our review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for New Jersey Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Single Family Home Loans In New Jersey: Living in New Jersey is an excellent place if you are looking for loans and grants to get you started on your homeownership journey. For single-family home loans, this website has some great resources to help save you time and money.
- Golden Neighborhoods Homeownership Program: For low-income New Jersey families that are worried about being able to afford a home, the Golden Neighborhoods Homeownership program is one worth considering. Down payment and closing cost assistance are just two ways this program can help.
- New Homeowner Grants: There are typically plenty of opportunities to save money and become well educated about the homeownership process for first-time homebuyers. If you are new to the New Jersey area and need some help saving money on your first home, be sure to research these grants.
- New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency: New Jersey homeowners looking to get some assistance when it comes to their mortgage financing and mortgage rates will enjoy the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency resources. Regardless of where you stand in the mortgage process, this website is helpful.
- New Jersey Weatherization Assistance: In the state of New Jersey, homes need to be prepared for any weather conditions. For low-income households that have a hard time affording this, weatherization assistance can be a big help.