Jump to: Our Top Home Warranty for Septic Systems Picks | Compare Top Providers for Septic System Coverage | Top 7 Best HW Companies For Septic Systems | Do HW Cover Septic System Replacement? | Is A HW Worth It For Septic Systems? | Best HW For Septic System? | Would A HW Cover Pre-Existing Conditions? | How Soon Can You Use A HW After Purchase? | What To Look For When Picking The Best HW For Septic Systems? | Reviews for Septic System Coverage | HW for Septic Systems: Coverage | HW for Septic Systems: Expense | HW for Septic Systems: Reliability | Our Top Pick For a HW For Septic Systems
Sudden and costly septic system repairs and replacements aren’t usually something that the average homeowner can afford or is prepared for. Avoid the hassle and worrying of home headaches and get a home warranty. A home warranty protects your home’s systems and appliances, and even better your septic system. If you’re looking for the best home warranty for septic system coverage, read on.
In this guide you’ll learn:
- Do home warranties actually cover septic system replacement?
- Is a home warranty worth it for septic systems, and what about pre-existing conditions?
- What should you look for when buying your policy?
- Our Top Picks For Home Warranties That Cover Septic Systems
- And Much More!
We’ve reviewed 68 different home warranty companies, and below are our top picks for septic system coverage specific to your state. Want to learn more about each? Continue reading!
$200 Off + FREE Bonus Month
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: New Customers Get $50 Off
Our Top Home Warranty for Septic Systems Picks
Compare Top Providers for Septic System Coverage
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Best Overall||$40 – $48||$85||B-|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Service||$40 – $60||$60||A|
|American Home Shield||Most Customizable||$50 – $60||$75 – $150||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Most Affordable||$36 – $38||$60||B|
|Americas First Choice Home Club||Best For Customization||$28 – $40||$50 – $65||B|
|First American Home Warranty||Best Appliance Coverage||$38-$48.50||$85||B+|
|Cinch Home Services||Best Add On Coverage||$28 – $40||$100 – $150||A-|
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty for septic systems. Although the septic system comes as an add-on or additional coverage, this is quite common with home warranty plans. Choice Home Warranty has been on the market for close to 13 years, and it is well known for its customer service and overall fair pricing. They have one of the simplest contracts on the market and make it incredibly easy for homeowners to see exactly what is covered under their home warranty plan. The Choice Home Warranty is a perfect option for those that have never had septic system coverage for their home.
Comprehensive plan options
No option to build out a custom plan
Fair pricing for monthly and service fees
Free cancellation for the first 30 days
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
There are two plans from Choice Home Warranty the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. Each of these plans has a mix of system and appliance coverage, making them an excellent choice for a homeowner who can’t decide between systems and appliances. The septic system coverage is an excellent option for homeowners, and it will only cost an additional $10.00 per month. The septic system coverage has a coverage cap of $500, but the majority of appliances and systems from Choice Home Warranty are $3000.
Here’s a more detailed look at CHW’s plan options:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): The Basic Plan is the best value home warranty plan from Choice Home Warranty. This is a great starter plan and a smart choice for those that have just purchased a home. The Basic Plan covers the plumbing system, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, oven, toilet, and water heater.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): The Total Plan is the most comprehensive option from Choice Home Warranty. The coverages included with the Total Plan help add value to your paying price. Additional coverages include the clothes washer, dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner coverage. The septic system is not covered under the Total Plan.
- Optional add-ons: Choice offers nine optional coverages, including roof leaking, central vacuum, septic tank, well pump, pool and spa, sump pump, and stand-alone freezer. These add-on coverages vary in price; septic systems run at about $10.00 per month.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“Choice home warranty takes the time to listen to the problem and send it right away to whatever technician who informed you the date and time they’ll show up I am very pleased of their services thank you” – Source
Read our Choice Home Warranty Review for more information.
2. Best Customer Service: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard offers the best customer service for septic system home warranty coverage. Liberty Home Guard has only been on the market for two years, but they have managed to earn an A rating with the BBB. This is something that does not happen for many home warranty companies. The great thing about Liberty Home Guard is that it has a wide range of coverages, and the coverage caps are fairly priced. In addition, the add-on coverages, including septic systems, are extensive.
BBB rating of an A
Optional plan choices tend to be priced a bit high
Quick response times to inquiries and claims
To get a very comprehensive policy, the price increases considerably
Easy to get in touch with
60 Day workmanship guarantee
Add-on coverage list is very extensive
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The three Liberty Home Guard plans, include Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard covering both appliances and systems. The septic system coverage is extra, and it will cost about $130 a year. This comes with a $500 coverage cap that should be enough to cover any septic system issues that you should come across. Most of the time, the coverage caps from Liberty Home Guard are around $1500. In addition, the service fees from this plan are very fairly priced.
Here are more details on Liberty Home Guard’s plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): Appliance Guard is the most basic and affordable LHG plan. The plan covers 11 significant appliances, including garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): Systems Guard offers coverage on nine systems, including the electrical system, air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, and water heater. Systems are expensive to repair and replace, and many homeowners are happy to take advantage of this great coverage.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): Total Home Guard is the only combo plan from Liberty Home Guard, and it includes both appliance and system coverage. The plan has a total of 20 covered appliances and systems. This is the most popular plan for homeowners.
- Optional add-ons: Liberty has one of the most extensive lists of items offered as add-ons, including some unique ones such as gutter and floor cleaning, re-key service, lawn sprinklers, pest control, and wine refrigerator. The septic system coverage is just one of the many things that can be added to this policy.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
What Customers Are Saying:
“I spoke with Freddy Summers today who welcomed me as a partner with Liberty Home Guard, and genuinely appreciates the work that we perform as technicians. They are an honest company that has helped improve my business and provide for my family. Looking forward to future success with LHG!” – Source
Read our Liberty Home Guard Review for more information.
3. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan for septic systems. American Home Shield has had more than 50 years of industry experience, and they know what customers need when it comes to their septic systems and coverage. An American Home Shield plan is considered a premium plan, but the septic system coverage is quite reasonably priced. With American Home Shield, you can build out a unique home warranty plan that exactly fits your home’s needs. In addition, homeowners can pick and choose the service fee to match their individual needs and budget. American Home Shield stands out as one of the best with the high claim approval statistics and impressive overall reputation.
More than 50 years of industry experience
Considered to be a more premium home warranty policy
Can build out your custom plan and customize pricing
Some of the policy choices are priced a bit higher
Impressive customer service
Plenty of add on coverage choices
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
American Home Shield has three plans to choose from. The plans are rather straightforward, with ShieldGold being one of the most popular on the market. None of American Home Shield home warranties comes with septic system coverage as it is an add-on that must be included for about $5.00 extra per month. This is a very low cost, but it is only available to first-year home warranty customers. Once you have had the plan for a year, you will lose your septic system coverage.
Take a closer look at AHS’s protection plan options:
- ShieldSilver™ ($59.00 per month): ShieldSilver is the most basic plan from AHS. The plan offers coverage on 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, smoke alarms, water heater, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, plumbing, and ductwork. Although this is a system-only plan the systems are important ones, and you can easily add septic system coverage to this plan.
- ShieldGold™ ($69.00 per month): ShieldGold is a unique option that is a mix of value and coverage. ShiledGold is a comprehensive plan covering both systems and appliances. This plan covers 23 systems and appliances, including many offered on ShieldSilver, plus clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator. This is the most popular plan from American Home Shield because of the value that it provides customers.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($79.00 per month): ShieldPlatinum is the most comprehensive home warranty plan on the market. The plan covers a total of 27 systems and appliances, including the 23 items covered in ShieldGold plus disposal, water dispenser, locksmith, and free roof leak coverage. ShieldPlatinum is expensive. However, many homeowners feel that this policy gives them peace of mind about their homes.
- Optional add-ons: There are six additional coverages offered by AHS, including the septic system, pool, spa, PC, TV, and well pump coverage. The septic system coverage is the most affordable of all add-on coverages.
Cost Per Month
$75 – $125
$75 – $125
$75 – $125
What Customers Are Saying
“Washer has been replaced and oven has been repaired all in a very timely manner. Customer service from AHS and companies that did the replacement and repair was great.” – Source
Read our American Home Shield Review for more information.
4. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty for septic systems. As you have likely seen, septic systems are usually considered extra under a home warranty policy. With Select Home Warranty, this is also the case, but the overall pricing is quite fair. Select Home Warranty has been on the market for close to ten years, and they have always been known for their affordability and workmanship. With a Select Home Warranty plan, you will get free roof leak coverage, a value that is likely going to save you at least $10 per month. In addition, the Platinum Plan from Select Home Warranty is a great comprehensive option offered at a very low price.
Impressive customer service
Some of the covered items have lower policy limits
Combo plan is one of the best on the market
Not always the best plan for high-end appliances and systems
High workmanship quality
One of the most comprehensive plans on the market
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The three Select Home Warranty policies for homeowners include the Gold Care plan which covers appliances, Bronze Care plan, which covers systems, and the comprehensive combo Platinum Care plan. The septic systems coverages are an add-on that will cost $70 per year. This is very affordable as it also comes with a $400 coverage cap. Overall, homeowners are quite pleased with the broad range of coverage options from Select Home Warranty; the only issue is slightly lower coverage caps for some appliances and systems.
Take a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s plan options:
- Bronze Care ($41 per month): There are two value-type plans from Select Home Warranty. The first is the Bronze Care plan which covers seven major appliances, including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, ovens, garbage disposals, and cooktops. This is a great option for a homeowner on a budget. Appliances break down quite often, and you will get good use of this policy.
- Gold Care ($41 per month): Gold Care is very similar to Bronze Care, except it offers only systems coverage. The Gold Care plan covers six major systems, including plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork.
- Platinum Care ($47 per month): Platinum Care is a combination plan that has all the coverages of Gold Care and Bronze Care combined. This is by far the best option from Select Home Warranty, and for just a few dollars more per month, it is a really great home warranty plan.
- Optional Add-Ons: There are several optional add-ons, including central vacuums, lawn sprinkler systems, pools, spas, stand-alone freezers, sump pumps, and well pumps. Septic system coverage is just $70 per year.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying
“I had an electrical issue that needed immediate resolution, I called SHW’s claim department and within 10 minutes they had a vendor calling me to make a service appointment. D Blake Electric and Refrigeration responded within 2 hrs and resolved the issue, my thanks to both SHW and D Blake for outstanding service..” – Source
For more information read our Select Home Warranty Review.
5. Best for Quick Coverage: The Home Service Club
The Home Service Club has the best quick coverage for septic systems. With The Home Service Club home warranty, you will pay for your policy and have coverage just ten days later. Most home warranty plans will not have coverage start for at least 30 days. This quick coverage can really help with things like septic systems and other issues around your home. The Home Service Club home warranty has been on the market for a little over 13 years, making it one of the leaders in the industry. The Home Service Club is known for great customer service and impressive overall coverage for homeowners.
Policy starts in just ten days
No cheap plan option with limited coverage
Both plans are comprehensive
Strong history in the industry
Great customer service
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
There are two The Home Service Club home warranty plans to choose from. The Standard Coverage has 18 covered appliances and systems, while the Comprehensive Plan has 33. The septic system is not a direct add-on coverage from The Home Service Club. Instead, you can get a few different coverages that will help cover any of your sewage and plumbing needs. Homeowners can add a sewage ejector pump coverage for just $59 per year and then coverage of the outside sewer lines for $199 per year. The Home Service Club has tremendous coverage options, and most coverage caps are between $500 and $2500.
Take a more detailed look at The Home Service Club’s home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Plan is the most basic option from The Home Service Club. There are 18 covered items under the Standard Coverage plan, and they include all major systems and appliances. This Standard Plan has coverage for air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more. Considering this is the standard plan, the overall coverage is quite impressive.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan has a total of 33 coverages. This is about fifteen more coverages than the Standard. Some of the extras included in the Comprehensive Coverage include gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more.
- Optional add-ons: The add-on coverages from The Home Service club are extensive. There are 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. The add-ons include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more. The coverages will range in price, but adding several of them will greatly impact the overall plan pricing.
What Customers Are Saying:
“The Home Service Club contractor came to investigate what was wrong with the air conditioner. What I particularly liked about this repairman was the fact that he worked quietly. He only spoke to explain to me what caused the problem and after he was done, to show that the unit was working normally again..” Source
Read our HSC Review to learn more.
Do Home Warranties Cover Septic System Replacement?
While replacement of the entire system is not what home warranties are for, when you opt for septic system coverage, the right home warranty will cover repairs and replacements of key components that your home can’t function without.
So if something goes wrong short of a total system failure, that is where a home warranty can be a big help.
Do research like you are doing right now to find out which home warranties cover septic system replacement. If you are purchasing a home, ask questions of the realtor if you are moving into a home with a septic system. Some home sellers offer a home warranty as an incentive to purchase but read the fine print to make sure the warranty they have does cover septic system components.
Bottom line: Replacement of your entire septic system is not something you should expect from a home warranty. So, the short answer is no, but there is more to it than that. Replacement of a septic system can cost tens of thousands of dollars, putting the risk squarely with the home warranty company.
What Coverage Should You Expect on Your Septic System?
In most protection plans, septic warranty coverage options should include the following parts:
- Sewage ejector pump
- Jet pump
- Aerobic pump
- Septic tank
- Sewer lines
Some warranties even cover septic system pumping, so look for that as an option as well.
Coverage for septic systems will almost certainly be an add-on, so don’t take it for granted if home warranty coverage automatically includes septic. As with other home warranty coverage, a service fee will likely be charged, but reputable companies will be very upfront about those kinds of fees.
Is A Home Warranty Worth It For Septic Systems?
When it comes to major home systems that must function, the septic system is right there at the top of the list. That’s why it is so important to make an informed decision about a home warranty that covers septic systems. If you are living in or looking at real estate in rural or even many suburban areas, the homes in that area may or may not be served by public water and sewer. Septic systems fall under optional coverage, along with items like pools, sump pumps, well pumps, and roof leaks. This optional coverage can be well worth it. A home warranty that covers septic systems can save you from a mountain of hassle and be a real lifesaver. Why would you consider a home warranty for your septic system? Home warranties regularly cover things like a heating system, electrical system, and basic plumbing, along with home appliances like refrigerators, dishwashers, cooktops, even your ice maker, and garbage disposal.
But is it worth it to add on coverage for a septic system if they won’t replace a full system? The answer depends on the age of the home and the septic system.
Especially for an older home with an original septic system, a home warranty can be a very good idea. The last thing you want is a problem with this potentially smelly and very gross aspect of homeownership. Plumbing stoppages are not for the faint of heart. For such challenges, a reputable home warranty company can be a great advantage.
Best Home Warranty For Septic System?
Choice Home Warranty is our top pick for septic system coverage. Choice has more than 10 years of experience in septic coverage and they will pay up to $500 per contract term for septic system access, diagnosis, repair, and replacements.
Forget replacement, even repairs on septic systems can become very costly. Having some peace of mind knowing that all major systems are covered is a big deal. Because when septic systems go wrong, things can go VERY wrong!
What about a new home? Home buyers should note that new construction is covered by a builder’s limited warranty, and a new septic system should be under warranty by the installer, so you will be covered that way in the case of malfunction.
But what about homeowners insurance? It is helpful to have a basic understanding of the difference between a home warranty and homeowners insurance. This comes down to the difference between wear and tear (home warranty) and accidental damage (insurance policy.)
A home warranty will include things not covered by insurance, but the coverage is not unlimited, so–once again–read the fine print on your home warranty carefully to understand the kinds of wear and tear to your septic system that will be covered.
So especially for an older home with a septic system that is out of warranty with the installer (if you even know who installed it and they are still in business!), the option of septic system coverage can be advantageous. When, you know, stuff happens with a septic system, stuff REALLY happens, so staying protected financially can save you money and aggravation.
Would A Home Warranty For Septic Systems Cover Pre-Existing Conditions?
As a general rule, most home warranties do not cover known pre-existing conditions on covered items. For example, if your HVAC system is not working before the home warranty coverage, it won’t be covered under the home warranty.
This is true for septic system coverage as well.
But that’s not the end of the story. Fortunately, there is a distinction between known and unknown pre-existing conditions. Some providers may cover unknown pre-existing conditions and will specify terms and limitations in the contract. So that is something else to be aware of and look for as you research the best home warranty options for you.
Routine Maintenance to Mitigate Pre-existing Conditions
There are definitely things you can do to mitigate the chances that a pre-existing condition will turn into a problem. The main thing is to pay attention to routine maintenance on your septic system. Here are a few points to consider:
↳ Know your system – collect whatever records you can find about the company who installed your septic system. Understand daily capacity, and other relevant specifications that impact the day-to-day function of your septic system.
↳ Know what should NOT go down there – your local municipality doesn’t want anything and everything to get flushed into the local sewer system. That goes double for your own septic system. Be sure to understand what should not get flushed through your plumbing system and into your septic tank. For instance, chemical drain cleaners can severely harm the drain pipes.
↳ Follow a regular schedule – do yourself a favor and create a maintenance log for things like the septic system. Make sure to stay on top of things like checking the drainfield, septic tank pumping
Here is a helpful video on the ins and outs of septic system maintenance:
Routine maintenance will likely be the first thing a home warranty company asks about when you make a claim regarding your septic system. Having done all that you can to make sure the system is functioning properly will go a long way in keeping to the letter and spirit of the terms of your home warranty agreement.
How Soon Can You Use A Home Warranty For Septic Systems After Purchase?
The industry standard is that claims can be made 30 days after the start of the service contract. This may vary depending on the company you purchase your warranty from, so make sure to confirm this with your agent and of course read the contract carefully.
So, if your septic system is already broken, that is not the right time to get a home warranty. If your system needs to be fixed yesterday, you are too late. But if you have an older system still in working order, some extra financial protection could go a long way.
After that 30 days, you can file a claim and take care of any covered septic system issue. Be sure to understand the service call fee that is likely part of your agreement.
What To Look For When Picking The Best Home Warranty For Septic Systems?
There are many things to consider with septic system coverage, but here are the three top considerations to think about when choosing the best home warranty for septic systems.
First and foremost, does the home warranty cover septic systems?
Many potential problems that could arise in your septic system are covered as an option with a good home warranty, such as the sewage ejector pump, septic tank, and line from the house. Again, it is important to read up on what exactly is and is not covered.
What will it Cost?
With any purchase, you want to understand the cost before making a buying decision. Is it worth the cost? If your home has an older septic system, a home warranty that covers septic could very well pay for itself many times over in the event of a system failure.
What are the Benefits?
The major benefit of septic system coverage with your home warranty is peace of mind. Make sure the warranty you are looking for will give you that kind of peace of mind. Knowing that the septic system that was built–well, you’re not sure when–is covered will help you sleep at night. Home warranties are great for those who are not especially handy with home repairs, and who is handy at septic system repair? That’s a short list!
Reviews for Septic System Coverage
There is a lot to think about with home warranties and coverage for your septic system. Our number one pick is Choice Home Warranty, and for good reason.
Choice is comprehensive and affordable, with coverage not only for the septic system itself, but optional coverage for septic system pumping as well.
Home Warranties for Septic Systems: Coverage
Home Warranties for Septic Systems: Expense
|Provider||Combo Plan Cost/Yr||Add-on Cost/Yr||Deductible|
|Choice Home Warranty||$660||$40 – $180||$80|
|American Home Shield||$720||$50 – $250||$75|
|Select Home Warranty||$650||$0 – $99||$60|
|Liberty Home Guard||$725||$40 – $275|
- Choice: $250 for stoppages and pumping/ $500 for septic system
- AHS: Coverage limitations for septic systems are not specified in the sample contract.
- Select: Coverage limits of $400 on septic system repairs
- Liberty: $200 limit per contract year
Home Warranties for Septic Systems: Reliability
Our Top Pick For a Home Warranty For Septic Systems
There is a lot to think about with home warranties and coverage for your septic system. Our number one pick is Choice Home Warranty, and for good reason. Choice is comprehensive and affordable, with coverage not only for the septic system itself, but optional coverage for septic system pumping as well.
For your convenience, below is our list of companies reviewed.