Written By: Amy Galloway
Edited by: Andrew Dunn
Hawaii is a state that most homeowners feel is as close to paradise as possible. With beaches, volcanoes, wildlife, and a laid-back lifestyle, Hawaii homeownership is an excellent option for many lucky people. As great as Hawaii homeownership can be, it’s still difficult to maintain the systems and appliances in your Hawaii home. If you are looking for the best home warranty company in Hawaii, we have you covered.
In this guide, we will cover . . .
- What is a home warranty?
- Why should you have home protection on your home?
- What should you look for when purchasing a home warranty?
- The 7 best home warranty companies in 2023
- And much more!
Hawaii has some hot and humid weather that will require you to have ceiling fans, HVAC, and a working refrigerator and freezer. Home warranties can help to ensure that you are not ruining your budget and your savings by paying for high out-of-pocket repairs and replacements.
Home warranty companies help you save money on expensive home repairs. They also allow you to enjoy peace of mind while owning your home. If you are looking for the best home warranty companies in Hawaii, we have all the information you need.
$200 Off + FREE Bonus Month
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off All Home Warranty Plans
Best Home Warranty Companies in Hawaii
- All plans have comprehensive coverage. Most other home warranty plans cover either just systems or just appliances.
- Choice’s coverage caps are $3,000 per item, per year for most major systems and appliances beating the industry average.
- Choice Home Warranty doesn't exclude older homes, so you can still get coverage regardless of the age of your property.
- $200 off + 1 Month Free + Free Roof Coverage!
- BBB's Only A+ Accredited Home Warranty Company!
- 60-day workmanship guarantee compared to the average of 30 days.
- More than 20 options, including window washing, swimming pools, and irrigation.
- 24/7 service calls
- With over 52 years of experience and 1.7 million customers AHS has a long history in the industry.
- American Home Shield, lest you choose a service fee that works for your budget.
- Coverage caps for systems are unlimited across all three plans and are either $3000 or $6000 for appliances.
- $150 off + 2 months free
- FREE Roof Leak Coverage
- Good selection of plans
- Must file claims within 3 days
- $75 cancellation fee
- Save up to $150 on a new plan
- Choose your own service fee!
- Lower chance of claim denial
- Higher fee for contract transfer
- Higher cancellation fee
- Best Customer Service 2020
- $100 Instant Online Discount
- Plans from $25/m
- Automatically renewed policy
- First 2 Months Free on all Plans! (exclusions apply)
- Industry-leading 180-day workmanship guarantee
- $500 Homeowner insurance deductible reimbursement
- Thousands of reliable & fast local service providers
- 24/7 customer service
- Low cancellation fee
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
Compare Hawaii Home Warranty Providers
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Best Overall||$45 - $53||$85||D+|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Service||$45 - $54||$75||A-|
|American Home Shield||Most Customizable||$25 - $75||$75 - $125||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Most Affordable||$44 - $48||$60||B-|
|Americas First Choice Home Club||Best For Customization||$46 - $68||$75 - $125||B|
|First American Home Warranty||Best Appliance Coverage||$52-$77||$75 - $125||B|
|Cinch Home Services||Best Add On Coverage||$45 - $62||$100 - $150||B|
Hawaii Home Warranty Costs
A home warranty has costs involved that include the monthly fees, service fees, and coverage caps. Understanding how these fees are going to impact you as a homeowner is critical. When shopping for your home warranty plan, you must keep costs in mind to ensure that you get a great deal on your home warranty plan. At Review Home Warranties, we felt that it was necessary for Hawaii homeowners to have a general idea as to the average costs of a home warranty plan. Knowing these averages can ensure that you get a great deal on the home warranty plan you choose. We have done in-depth research into all of the home warranty plans available in Hawaii. Here are the averages across several different types of homes.
Average Annual Premium
Single Family Home
Home Over 5,000 sq ft
Home Under 5,000 sq ft
Hawaii Home Warranty Companies Reviews
At Review Home Warranties, we have reviewed more than 70 companies to help narrow down the top five home warranties for Hawaii homeowners. When comparing one home warranty policy to another you must consider things like service fees, coverage options, plan choices, customer service, workmanship guarantee, and more Here are our reviews of the top 5 home warranty companies in the state of Hawaii.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty policy in the state of Hawaii. Choice Home Warranty has two comprehensive plans that cover both systems and appliances. The Choice Home Warranty has been an option for Hawaii homeowners for more than a dozen years. Through the years Choice Home Warranty has developed a large base of impressive contractors and service technicians. Hawaii homeowners will be impressed with the workmanship and responsiveness of the Choice Home Warranty policy.
Comprehensive plan options
It won’t allow for custom plan build-out
Fair overall pricing
Reasonable service fees
A good sign that these companies have an incentive
Plans and Pricing
There are only two plans from Choice Home Warranty; however, these plans are both comprehensive options with appliance and system coverage. The plans are both fair in price, but the Total Plan offers a better value with a wide range of coverages. When looking at the overall costs of the Choice Home Warranty, the pricing is about average.
Cost Per Month
The Choice Home Warranty plans have some of the highest coverage caps on the market. You can estimate that each of the individual covered items will be anywhere from $2000-$2500 on each of the individual coverages. Some of the most popular coverages that Hawaii homeowners can take advantage of include . . .
- Plumbing system
- Washing Machine
- Water Heater
- HVAC system
What Customers Are Saying:
“The technician was neat, respectful, and friendly. He worked quickly, answered all of my questions, and left the area clean. He explained why the disposal he was using was an appropriate replacement and made me feel comfortable with the choice.” Source
2. Best Reviewed: Liberty Home Guard
The Liberty Home Guard plan is an excellent choice for those looking for a valuable and highly rated company in the state of Hawaii. The Liberty Home Guard plan has only been on the market for about two years, but they have earned some impressive ratings with the BBB. Customers are impressed with how quickly Liberty Home Guard responds to issues regarding service requests. In addition, the 60-day workmanship guarantee helps ensure that the work done is of the highest quality.
BB Rating of an A
Option plan choices are a bit higher in price
Overall fair pricing
The price increases quite a bit for comprehensive plans
60 Day workmanship guarantee
Add on coverage list is extensive
Plans and Pricing
There are three standard Liberty Home Guard policies to choose from. Hawaii homeowners tend to find the best value in the Total Home Guard plan as it has both systems and appliance coverage. The pricing for the Liberty Home Guard plan is about average.
Total Home Guard
Hawaii homeowners will find that Liberty Home Guard has some of the most extensive optional coverages on the market. If you are worried about your central vacuum, sprinkler system, or stand-alone freezer, Liberty Home Guard is going to have some of the best options for you. Overall the coverage limits are lower than Choice or American Home Shield but still fair.
- Garbage disposal
- Air Duct
- Water Heater
What Customers Are Saying:
“After having great difficulty with another home warranty company, I reached out to Liberty Home Guard for information concerning their policies. I was so pleased to speak with representative *************************** who clearly explained their policy details and signed me up with ease. He went above and beyond to make services and costs clear and ensured that I understood before ending the call. I'm very grateful to have found this home warranty company.” Source
3. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan for Hawaii homeowners. There are many different types of homes in Hawaii and having a home warranty plan that can be customized to the needs of your home is a great benefit. The American Home Shield plan is on the only one on the market that allows you to choose from plan options or build your own complete plan from the ground up. The American Home Shield company has been on the market for more than 50 years, making it one of the most reliable plans. Even though some of American Home Shield plans are priced a little higher than others, they have some great value associated with them.
Been around for more than 50 years
A premium-priced policy
Built out custom plans and add on options
Add on coverage choices
Plans & Pricing
The American Home Shield plans come in three different options. The Silver Plan, Gold Plan, and the Platinum Plan give homeowners a choice between a systems plan or a combo plan. The combo Platinum Plan offers some of the most comprehensive coverage choices on the market. If you are serious about covering all areas of your Hawaii home, this is a great plan to choose.
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
Similar to the Choice Home Warranty plan, the American Home Shield home warranty is going to offer high coverage caps or limits on all of its policies. The coverage caps will be in the $2000-$3000 range for most of the critical systems in the home. Some of the most popular coverages of the AHS plan are . . .
- Heating system
- Garbage DIsposal
What Customers Are Saying
“The A.R.T. company you contacted called us, came out the next day, and did an awesome job of diagnosis of our heat and air problem! They showed us the photos, and we agreed that the unit needed to be acid washed. They can out the next day, perform the service, and were done in a timely manner. The unit is running better than ever, and we are thrilled with your choice of service technicians!” Source
4. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty in the state of Hawaii. The Select Home Warranty helps to make the decision to purchase a home warranty quite a bit easier. With lower pricing and great coverage, the Select Home Warranty is a plan that will work for many Hawaii homeowners. One of the best benefits of the Select Home Warranty is the free roof leak coverage that comes with each of the policies. If you have just purchased a home and are worried about having to pay for a home warranty, the Select Home Warranty is the perfect choice to consider.
Impressive customer service
Lower policy limits
Clearly defined coverages and exclusions
Not great for high-end appliances and systems
High workmanship quality
Straightforward policy choices
Plans and Pricing
The Gold Care and the Bronze Care plan from Select Home Warranty offer limited appliance or system coverage. However, the Platinum Care Plan is a combination of both the Gold and Bronze Care plan, and it only costs a few extra dollars per month. If you are looking for a great deal, the Platinum plan from Select is a perfect choice.
The Select Home Warranty plan is a bit limited when it comes to coverage caps and policy limits. However, the overall covered items are going to be quite impressive. You should have no problem getting a policy that fits the needs of your Hawaii home. Overall you should keep in mind that the free roof leak coverage only helps to increase the value you get with the Select Home Warranty.
- Heating systems
- Ceiling fans
- Electrical systems
What Customers Are Saying
“The technician was excellent, efficient, diagnosed a complex problem, decided correctly the circuit board that needed replacement, and helped us with the processing. He was super professional and experienced. We have had only good experiences with Select Home Warranty for the past 2 years, use them in 5 different properties.” Source
5. Best Coverage: First Premier Home Warranty
First Premier Home Warranty is the best home warranty for Hawaii homeowners that need extensive coverage. If you have a hard time choosing which home warranty to go with because of the limited coverage choices, the First Premier Home Warranty is perfect. This is supposed to be a broad plan that gives you blanket-like coverage across your home. Don’t expect to have very high coverage caps or policy limits, but the plan’s overall value is still a good one. First Premier Home Warranty has only been on the market for a short time, but they have a BBB rating of an A-.
BBB Rating of A-
Short time on the market
A newer company that is continually improving
Not everyone wants to pay upfront for the year
Low costs if you pay upfront
Modern technology and systems in place
Plans & Pricing
There are two First Premier home warranty policies to choose from. The Premier Plan has lots of coverage for the price that you pay and is a popular choice for many first-time home buyers. You can pay in advance for a FIrst Premier Home Warranty and save quite a bit of money.
The coverage for the First Premier Home Warranty policies includes both systems and appliances. With over 15 options on the Premier Plan, the value that you get is quite impressive for this affordable plan. Some of the coverages that Hawaii homeowners tend to take advantage of are the . . .
- Water heater
- Plumbing system
What Customers Are Saying
“I absolutely love this company I had 3 home warranty companies in the past that were horrible, and I was about to give up on the home warranty idea first premier lived up to their standards my ac unit went out, and it was about 97 degrees they sent out a tech in 6 hours and got that fixed and even offered me to replace it with a brand new one once I saw how good their turnaround was and how they performed I enrolled my other 2 properties and I couldn’t be happier definitely recommend 5 stars!!!!!.” Source
What You Should Consider Before Buying A Home Warranty in Hawaii
Now that you have an idea of some of the best home warranty companies on the market, you will have to narrow them down to choose the best one for your home. Hawaii homeowners need to keep in mind that home warranty policies should cover HVAC if they will be a good match for the Hawaii home. Here are a few of the most important factors to consider before purchasing your home warranty policy.
Each home warranty company has several different plans that you can choose from. Most companies have an appliance plan, a system plan, and then a combo plan. The combo plan tends to be the best choice for Hawaii homeowners because of the combination of system and appliance coverage. To deal with the humidity and warm conditions in Hawaii, a comprehensive policy is important.
Service fees are the price that you pay each time you file a claim for a repair or replacement. Most service fees will be priced anywhere from $60 to $150. The more expensive service fees typically have lower monthly prices.
The workmanship guarantee will ensure that you are not paying extra service fees for failed repairs. If you schedule a repair for an appliance or system, the workmanship guarantee ensures that it will be covered for 60,90, and sometimes even 180 days. To keep out-of-pocket expenses low, the workmanship guarantee is an important policy benefit to look for.
Home Warranty Tips for Hawaii Residents
Whether you live in Honolulu, Hilo, or Kailua, you are going to deal with some of the same issues in your Hawaii home. The biggest problem that Hawaii homeowners are going to run into is the humidity and higher temperatures. With this moisture level, the appliances and systems in the home will experience normal wear at a much faster pace.
Hawaii homeowners need to consider this and ensure that they have excellent HVAC coverage on the home. HVAC coverage will help to ensure that high-priced repairs on your air conditioning system is going to be properly covered.
With these warm temperatures, it is also essential that the airflow throughout the home is excellent. This is where ceiling fan and air duct coverage will come into play. As you can see, overall importance of having both system and appliance coverage is very important in the state of Hawaii.
Many homes in Maui, Oahu, or Kailua will be located in the hills, and this can cause some issues with plumbing systems in the home. If you have struggled with this in the past, be sure to choose a plan like Choice Home Warranty that has impressive plumbing system coverage with a higher overall coverage limit.
Some states do not have all that much to deal with regarding climate and weather conditions. However, in Hawaii, that is not the case. Hawaii residents are going to need to be very specific about the coverage they choose for their homes.
Living on an island will do some damage to a home, and having a home warranty in place can save you thousands of dollars through the years.
Home Warranty Regulations in Hawaii
The state of Hawaii does not do all that much to regulate home warranties. However, you can ensure that you choose to get a reputable company by reading reviews, checking with the BBB, and using one of the reputable companies on our list of the best home warranties in Hawaii.
Hopefully, you now feel ready to choose a home warranty for your Hawaii home. Although each of these companies has some great benefits and features, the Choice Home Warranty stands out as the best overall. With Choice Home Warranty, decide homeowners get a simple and straightforward plan with fair pricing and great customer service. The Choice Home Warranty company has an impressive history in the home warranty business and they continue to grow each year. It is a good idea to get several quotes for your home warranty policy, finding a great deal can make the decision to have your Hawaii home covered a much easier one.
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranty companies, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty plan. Here is what our review process looks like:
- We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for Hawaii Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Hawaii Housing Finance and Development: When it comes to purchasing a home and maintaining it, many financial matters are involved. Without some direction, homeowners often make poor financial decisions. The Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation can ensure that you are getting fair rates on mortgages, closings, refinances, and more.
- Homeownership Assistance Hawaii The US Department of Housing and Urban Development can help Hawaii homeowners who are considering purchasing a home. In addition, HUD can help those that are trying to stay in their home after financial trouble.
- US Department of Agriculture Rural Development: For Hawaii homeowners that live in more rural areas, the US Department of Agriculture Rural Development can help with single-family loans, education, and much more. If you think you will purchase a home on land that is considered rural, it is worth understanding the help that is available to you.
- Kauai Homebuyer Program: The Kauai Homebuyer Program provides loans, down payment assistance, and special assistance to qualified buyers in the Kauai area. Don’t forget to research the specific areas you plan to buy to take advantage of these programs.
- Maui Housing Division: With Maui being one of the more popular areas in Hawaii to purchase a home, many people are looking for assistance and special programs. Maui Housing Division aims to keep homeownership more affordable for Maui residents.