Repairs and replacements for your plumbing system can be extremely expensive and most people don’t budget for that kind of emergence. However, a home warranty can save you thousands in those costs and offer you some peace of mind. If you’re looking for the best home warranty for your plumbing system, RHW can help.
Great, you have come to the right place. In this guide, you’ll learn:
- Do home warranties cover plumbing?
- Should you buy coverage for your plumbing system?
- How do you determine if a warranty for plumbing will cover pre-existing conditions?
- What is the waiting period to use a home warranty for plumbing after purchase?
- How do you choose the best home insurance plan for your plumbing system?
- And much more!
We’ve reviewed 68 different home warranty companies, and below are our top picks for plumbing systems specific to your state. Eager to learn more? Continue reading!
Limited Time: New Customers Get $50 Off
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off + 2 Free Months + roof coverage
Our Top Home Warranty for Plumbing Picks
Out of all of your house’s major systems, your plumbing is one of the most important. Without a properly functioning plumbing system, we wouldn’t have running water, flushing toilets, or the ability to take a hot shower.
Compare the Top Providers for Home Plumbing Insurance
We’ve done the research for you on the best home warranty companies across the country so you don’t have to. Here are our top picks, and why.
Choice Home Warranty
American Home Shield
Select Home Warranty
NV, WA, WI
The Home Service Club
Best for Quick Coverage
Liberty Home Guard
Best Customer Service
Top 5 Best Home Warranties For Plumbing System Coverage
- Choice Home Warranty (Best Overall)
- American Home Shield (Most Customizable)
- Select Home Warranty (Most Affordable)
- Home Service Club (Best For Quick Coverage)
- Liberty Home Guard (Best Customer Service)
With an appliance plan, you’ll get protection for various items, such as your washing machine, garbage disposal, dishwasher, and other major appliances. However, these basic plans will usually not include any protection for your plumbing.
Instead, if you want coverage for plumbing replacement, you’ll usually need to get a system or comprehensive plan. These will generally cover your HVAC system, septic system, electrical system, and, yes, your plumbing. Alternatively, you can build your own plan to ensure that your home’s plumbing system is covered.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty for plumbing. With Choice Home Warranty policies, you will get a mix of both system and appliance coverage. The basic plan from Choice Home Warranty has 13 covered home systems and appliances. With a little over 13 years in the industry, Choice Home Warranty has some experience when it comes to plumbing repair and the associated costs. In addition, Choice is known for having great customer service and simple and straightforward plan choices. In addition, Choice Home Warranty has overall fair pricing and higher coverage caps, making it a natural choice for homeowners that need plumbing coverage.
Comprehensive plan options
No option to build out a custom plan
Fair pricing for monthly and service fees
Free cancellation for the first 30 days
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The two plans from Choice are the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. Choice Home Warranty is known for fair pricing and availability across 48 states. The Total Plan and Basic Plan have coverage for plumbing, but the Total ends up being a better choice because of the extensive other coverages that it offers. The coverage caps from Choice Home Warranty are some of the highest in the industry. With $3000 covering most home systems and appliances, you won’t have too much to worry about should your plumbing system experience an issue.
Here’s a more detailed look at CHW’s plan options:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): The Basic Plan covers 13 items, including plumbing system, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, oven, toilet, and water heater. This is a perfect starter plan, and the fact that it includes plumbing makes it even better.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): This comprehensive plan covers all 13 items in the basic plan plus four more to cover, a total of 18 items. This plan includes the clothes washer, dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner coverage. Although the Total Plan is slightly higher in cost, it has some impressive total coverage.
- Optional add-ons: Choice offers nine optional coverages, including roof leaking, central vacuum, septic tank, well pump, pool and spa, sump pump, and stand-alone freezer. These add-on coverages are not necessary for plumbing unless you consider the septic tank part of your plumbing system.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying:
“Derrick was very helpful in explaining how the process works and answering any and all questions we had. Was also great in giving us the best price considering the different discounts that we qualified for. Was very helpful!!” – Source
Read our Choice Home Warranty Review for more information
2. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan for plumbing. If you want to have your plumbing system covered and a few other appliances or systems, American Home Shield will allow you to build out a plan like that. American Home Shield has been on the market for more than 50 years. It is undoubtedly one of the most impressive and comprehensive plans on the market. The customer service, workmanship quality, and coverage caps from American Home Shield are some of the best on the market. If you don’t mind paying a few dollars extra, American Home Shield is a great home warranty plan to choose from.
More than 50 years of industry experience
Considered to be a more premium home warranty policy
Can build out your custom plan and customize pricing
Some of the policy choices are priced a bit higher
Impressive customer service
Plenty of add on coverage choices
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
American Home Shield has three plans to choose from. The three plans are ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum. Coverage caps from American Home Shield start around $2500 and can get as high as $6000. The service fee associated with these home warranty plans is also customizable and will impact the monthly pricing of the home warranty. Homeowners that are worried about claim denial rates will have no concerns with American Home Shield in place.
Take a closer look at AHS’s protection plan options:
- ShieldSilver™ ($59.00 per month): This plan offers coverage on 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, smoke alarms, water heater, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, plumbing, and ductwork. Most of the systems on this plan include coverage caps around $2500. This is a great plan option for those that are mostly looking for plumbing coverage.
- ShieldGold™ ($69.00 per month): The ShieldGold plan covers 23 systems and appliances, including many offered on the ShieldSilver plan, plus clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator. This is one of the most popular options from AHS because of the mix of appliance and system coverage.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($79.00 per month): This plan covers a total of 27 systems and appliances, including the 23 items covered in ShieldGold plus disposal, water dispenser, locksmith, and free roof leak coverage. ShieldPlatinum has many other benefits, including a $1000 coverage for unexpected expenses like permits. This is one of the most comprehensive plans on the market, and although it is priced a little higher, it is well worth the extra money you spend.
- Optional add-ons: There are six additional coverages offered by AHS, including the septic system, pool, spa, PC, TV, and well pump coverage. The septic system coverage is a good add-on when worried about your plumbing coverage on your home.
Cost Per Month
$75 – $125
$75 – $125
$75 – $125
What Customers Are Saying
“I’ve been with American HomeShield since 2012 there has been a couple of bumps, but they have always been there for me. When your contract states if they can’t fix it, they will buy and replace that item, they are absolutely correct; they saved me. I’ve owned 3 homes in these years as a member, and they have been there for me. I’ve been in my present home for almost 4 years, and I’ve had a pipe leak on the 2nd floor right away; they got a company out here and fixed pipes and ceiling I was very pleased. I will never leave this company. Thank you, American HomeShield” – Source
Read our American Home Shield Review for more information.
3. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty plan for plumbing coverage. With Select Home Warranty, you will be able to take advantage of the ten years this company has spent in the home warranty industry, impressive customer service, and very fair overall pricing. Select Home Warranty has very high workmanship quality. Contractors and repair technicians have to undergo rigorous testing and qualification to work with Select Home Warranty. In addition, all home warranty plans from Select Home Warranty will have free roof leak coverage.
Impressive customer service
Some of the covered items have lower policy limits
Combo plan is one of the best on the market
Not always the best plan for high-end appliances and systems
High workmanship quality
One of the most comprehensive plans on the market
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The three Select Home Warranty policies for homeowners include the Gold Care plan which covers appliances, Bronze Care which covers systems, and the comprehensive combo Platinum Care plan. The Gold Care and the Platinum Care are the best overall options to consider for plumbing coverage. Coverage caps from Select Home Warranty are slightly lower than they are from other companies.
Take a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s plan options:
- Bronze Care ($41 per month): Bronze Care Plan is a system-only plan with very low pricing. This is a popular plan among new homeowners. This plan covers seven major appliances, including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, ovens, garbage disposals, and cooktops.
- Gold Care ($41 per month): Gold Care is very similar to Bronze Care, except it only offers systems coverage. This plan covers six major systems, including plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork.
- Platinum Care ($47 per month): The Platinum Care Plan is the best overall option for a plumbing system. It only costs a few dollars more per month and includes all of the Bronze Care and Gold Care plan’s other coverages.
- Optional Add-Ons: There are several optional add-ons, including central vacuums, lawn sprinkler systems, pools, spas, stand-alone freezers, sump pumps, and well pumps. Remember that the roof leak coverage is free.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying
“Charlie- the technician who was sent out to fix my water heater- was very nice. We were scheduled for the next day, but he came out the night before after he found out we had not had hot water for days. He was very knowledgeable and professional. We truly appreciated him.” – Source
For more information read our Select Home Warranty Review.
4. Best for Quick Coverage: The Home Service Club
The Home Service Club has the best quick coverage for plumbing. The plumbing system is one of those things that you will not want to leave unprotected. The great news with The Home Service Club is that ten days after paying for your home warranty plan, you will end up with complete coverage for your home. Most home warranty companies have at least a 30 day waiting period for coverage to start. The Home Service Club does not require a home warranty, and it is considered to have fair and appropriate pricing associated with the home warranty plan. If you want great customer service, more than 13 years of experience in the industry, and a quick start to your plan, this is a great choice.
Policy starts in just ten days
No cheap plan option with limited coverage
Both plans are comprehensive
Strong history in the industry.
Great customer service
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
There are two The Home Service Club home warranty plans to choose from. The Standard Coverage has about 18 covered appliances and systems, while the Comprehensive Plan has 33. Coverage caps under The Home Service Club home warranty will range in price from $500 to $2500. The service fees associated with the plan are customizable and will be set at the start of the home warranty policy.
Take a more detailed look at The Home Service Club’s home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Plan is the most basic option from The Home Service Club. Even though this is considered the basic plan, there are 18 covered items. This plan will cover almost everything a homeowner could need as part of their home warranty plan. Plumbing systems are covered under the Standard Coverage. The coverages include air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan from The Home Service Club takes the Standard Plan and increases the coverage to a total of 33 covered items. The extra coverages include things like gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more.
- Optional add-ons: The add-on coverages from The Home Service Club are quite good. There are 12 additional or add-on coverages as part of their home warranty plan. The add-ons include things like a well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more.
What Customers Are Saying
“I really had a wonderful experience with the exterminator that was there to rid my house of the worst mice infestation I have ever lived through in my seven years living in this house. He knew a lot about these sorts of creatures. He really was an expert in his field. It was a privilege to have him over my house. Keep up the good work!” – Source
Read our HSC Review to learn more.
5. Best Customer Service: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard offers the best customer service for a plumbing warranty. While Liberty Home Guard has only been on the market for two years, it has earned an A rating with the BBB. Liberty Home Guard Home Warranty has the most extensive list of add-on coverages that you will find on the market. The company is very easy to get in touch with, and when a problem comes up, they are quick to respond with a plan of action. In addition, the 60-day workmanship guarantee will ensure that you never have to pay a service fee twice.
BBB rating of an A
Optional plan choices tend to be priced a bit high
Quick response times to inquiries and claims
To get a very comprehensive policy, the price increases considerably
Easy to get in touch with
60 Day workmanship guarantee
Add-on coverage list is very extensive
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
The three Liberty Home Guard plans, include Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and the Total Home Guard covering both appliances and systems. The service fees from Liberty Home Guard are affordable and will help keep the overall costs associated with this policy to a minimum. The coverage caps from Liberty Home Guard are around $1500 per covered system or appliance, a number in line with industry averages but not quite as good as Choice or AHS.
Here are more details on Liberty Home Guard’s plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): The Appliance Guard plan covers 11 major appliances, including garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker. This would be a poor choice for a plumbing home warranty.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): The Systems Guard plan offers coverage on nine systems, including the electrical system, air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, and water heater. This is an excellent plan for plumbing as it has stoppages, plumbing, and even toilet coverage.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): The Total Home Guard plan covers all of the systems and appliances of the two other plans to cover a total of 20 items. The Total Home Guard is a good choice for those looking for comprehensive coverage.
- Optional add-ons: Liberty has one of the most extensive lists of items offered as add-ons, including some unique ones such as gutter and floor cleaning, re-key service, lawn sprinklers, pest control, and wine refrigerator. The only downside of the add-on coverages is that they will quickly increase the price of the home warranty plan.
Cost Per Month
Total Home Guard
What Customers Are Saying:
“I am impressed by Liberty Home Guard’s high standards. Their wait times are very low (compared to other home warranty companies I’ve had in the past) and everyone I interact with there acts professionally and seems to really care about helping. Chris helped me on my most recent experience and because of his quality service and communication, I felt the need to leave this positive review for him and Liberty.” – Source
Read our Liberty Home Guard Review for more information.
Do Home Warranties Cover Plumbing Replacement?
When it comes to protecting your house’s plumbing system, not all home warranties are created equal. In fact, your home’s plumbing is quite complicated, as it includes things like pipes, pumps, sinks, valves, and faucets.
So, while most warranty companies will offer some sort of home protection plan that covers plumbing, it’s important that you know precisely what’s a covered item and what’s not. For example, many home warranty providers will offer either an appliance plan or a systems plan.
What Do Home Warranties For Plumbing Cover?
While your service contract might state that you have plumbing coverage, you need to read the fine print to see exactly what’s included in your warranty cost. Home warranty plans will generally cover all or some of the following:
- Valves for showers and tubs
- Some fixtures and faucets
- Sump pumps
- Toilet tanks and mechanisms
- Built-in bathtub and whirlpool motors and pumps
- Pressure regulators
- Leaks and breaks in water, gas, vent, sewer, and drain lines (except when caused by freezing)
- Stoppages in bathtubs, showers, and sinks (when caused by normal wear and tear)
- The cost of returning your walls, floors, and ceilings to a rough finish condition
It’s important to note, though, that most home warranty companies consider your well pumps and septic systems to be separate from your home’s plumbing. Often, these home systems are offered as add-on coverage options, not as part of a basic plan.
Additionally, plumbing for pools, spas, and saunas are generally not included in a regular plan option, and you often have to pay an extra fee for this optional coverage.
Still curious about plumbing in your home? Check out this video to learn more about all the parts that make up your plumbing system.
Is Plumbing Coverage Worth It For Your Home?
A home warranty is worth it for your plumbing system. Warranties for plumbing have a number of benefits, including:
The number one benefit of a home warranty is that it protects you financially from costly home repairs. Each warranty plan offers a different amount of protection, but you can generally expect about $500 per year of coverage under a plumbing plan.
It can cost hundreds of dollars just to get a plumber to come to your home to evaluate a problem during business hours. These diagnosis fees don’t even include the cost of labor or materials, which can easily rack up large repair bills.
So, the small service fee and the annual premium you pay for a home warranty are well worth the peace of mind you get from your service contract. There’s nothing better than knowing that you’ll be protected from paying extraordinary repair costs in the event of a plumbing-related emergency.
Simplified Service Calls
With a home warranty plan, you don’t have to worry about searching for the best plumbing service provider when you have a burst pipe or a backed-up system. The best home warranty companies will contact a plumber on your behalf and send them to your home, even if it’s outside regular working hours.
Best Home Warranty For Plumbing System?
Choice Home Warranty is our top pick in the plumbing insurance market. Choice has more than 10 years of experience and offers low service call fees whenever you call a plumber to your home.
This is particularly beneficial for new homeowners who might not be familiar with the best home service providers in the region or busy families that don’t have time to research local plumbing companies. With the right warranty plan, you simply need to submit a service request, and then a plumber will be sent straight to your home to deal with the problem.
Covers What Homeowners Insurance and Manufacturer’s Warranties Won’t
Sure, you probably have homeowners insurance, but that’s explicitly designed to protect you in the event of a fire or natural disaster. Your insurance policy won’t help you pay for issues in your plumbing system caused by normal wear and tear.
Additionally, most manufacturers’ warranties on plumbing-related appliances and fixtures are quite limited. So, they’re not going to offer you the quick repairs that you need in an emergency.
Home warranties, on the other hand, will help cover the costs of plumbing repairs and replacements even when your insurance and manufacturer’s warranties won’t.
Protection During Real Estate Transactions
Whether you’re buying or selling a home, a warranty plan can protect you from expenses created by unforeseen plumbing emergencies. For sellers, home warranty coverage can help keep a pending sale on track, even if you have a plumbing problem during negotiations.
Alternatively, for home buyers, warranties provide protection for various aspects of your new home, including your plumbing, air conditioning, and heating systems. Warranties can even help real estate agents prevent any disputes between buyers and sellers if the house has a malfunction in any of the covered home appliances or systems.
Are Pre-Existing Conditions Covered For Plumbing?
At some point, your plumbing system will need to be repaired or replaced. If you have a home warranty, most of your issues will be covered under your plumbing plan, saving you money on costly repair costs.
But, most warranty plans do not offer coverage for pre-existing conditions if these issues are obvious to a professional repair technician and easy to detect visually. So, if a part of your plumbing system has a pre-existing issue, then you may have to pay for the repair out of pocket.
That being said, these exclusions generally only apply to pre-existing conditions that are detectable through regular maintenance and visual testing.
Therefore, if you have a pipe leaking behind a wall, that would likely be covered by your warranty since it’s impossible to know there’s a problem brewing behind the scenes until you have water on your floor. Alternatively, if you’ve known for years that your shower is blocked before you purchased your warranty, you’ll probably be liable for those repair costs.
To protect yourself from having to pay for repair costs on detectable pre-existing conditions, it’s helpful to arrange for a home inspection when buying a house. Even if you’ve owned your home for years, though, these inspections can help you identify any pre-existing issues that need to be fixed but won’t be covered by a warranty.
How Soon After Purchase Can You Use Your Plumbing System Warranty?
Generally speaking, home warranty plans have a “grace period” between when you sign up and when you’re able to make your first claim. This usually lasts about 30 days after the date that you enroll in your plan.
Companies will normally wave this grace period if you’re simply looking to change from one warranty plan to another. In these situations, you’ll be able to make a claim as soon as you finish enrollment, with no waiting period if you can prove that there’s never been a gap in your coverage.
What Should You Look For In A Plumbing System Home Warranty Plan?
You have a lot of different options when it comes to a home warranty for your house’s plumbing system. So, here are some of the most important things to look for as you’re shopping around to ensure that you get the best coverage for your needs.
Basic Plan vs. Add-Ons
For some warranty companies, plumbing systems are covered under their basic plans. However, some providers categorize plumbing as an optional coverage item that can be added on to other service packages.
Since basic plans generally have more affordable annual premiums, it’s important to see if they will protect your plumbing. Simply put, if you’re buying a home warranty for your plumbing system, you don’t want to end up with a plan that only covers your appliances.
Alternatively, you can often get a comprehensive or combo plan that protects most of what you’d find in a standard house. These are often the best value for homeowners that want to maximize their coverage.
Or, you can make your own plan if you want to mix and match coverage for your plumbing and other home fixtures, like your sprinkler system or your ductwork.
Service Fee Cost
Every home warranty company will charge you a small service fee every time they send a plumber or repair technician to your home. This fee is sort of like the co-pay that you’re charged when you go to the doctor’s office.
Of course, no one wants to spend more out of pocket than they have to on home repairs. So, lower service fee costs are a nice way to save a bit of money when you request a repair or a replacement of your home’s most important appliances and systems.
“Plumbing” refers to a wide range of different appliances, fixtures, and systems within your home, so you need to know precisely what’s covered by a plan before you commit to it. Here are some of the most important things to look for when reading through home warranty sample contracts:
- Leaks And Breaks In Lines. Ideally, a plan would cover any leaks or breaks in water, gas, waste, drain, and vent lines. Issues caused by freezing or roots are usually not included, though.
- Stoppages. Most plumbing plans will protect you if you have a stoppage or clog in your drains or sewer lines, up to a certain distance from a given access point.
- Toilet Tanks And Bowls. Toilets can be surprisingly expensive to replace and repair. Check to ensure that you’re covered for any malfunctions in your toilet tank, bowl, or mechanisms.
- Showers And Tubs. A quality plan will cover any shower valves and bathtub motors/pumps.
- Return To Rough Finish. If a plumber needs to break through a wall to access your pipes, you’ll want to ensure that your warranty will pay to return your room to a rough finish condition when the repair is complete.
- Access Through Concrete. Some parts of your home’s plumbing may be located under concrete slabs. If this is the case, you’ll want to see precisely how much coverage a plan will offer for repairing or replacing system components that are sealed off with concrete.
Some parts of your home’s systems are not included within the “plumbing” section of a home warranty. In some situations, they may be included within other parts of your plan. Or, you may have to pay a bit extra for optional coverage and add-ons to your basic plan. Common plumbing-related exclusions include:
- Pools, saunas, and spas
- Caulking and grouting
- External sump pumps
- Well pumps
- Septic systems
- Water heaters (often included in an appliance plan)
- Washing machines
Our Top Pick For A Home Warranty On Plumbing
There are a lot of great home warranty options to choose from. But, if we had to choose just one to protect a plumbing system, we’d opt for Choice Home Warranty.
Choice stands out from the crowd when it comes to plumbing coverage because they offer a good mix of affordability and value. They have reasonable premiums and low service call fees, but still, maintain quality service and coverage for plumbing systems.
Choice Home Warranty includes plumbing coverage in all of their plans. Plus, they will repair or replace items like interior sump pumps and whirlpool bathtub motors, which some other policies won’t. When it comes to the overall value for your money, Choice Home Warranty’s plumbing protection is hard to beat.