Top 5 Best Home Warranties For Heat Pump (2023 Review)
Written By: Alexis Bennett
Edited by: Andrew Dunn
Want to know more about the best home warranty for heat pump coverage?
Good news, you have come to the right place!
In this ReviewHomeWarranties.com guide you’ll learn:
- Do you even need a home warranty for your heat pump system?
- What do home warranties for heat pumps actually cover?
- Will a home warranty cover you for any pre-existing conditions your heat pump system might have?
- Which are the best home warranty service providers with heat pump coverage?
- And Much More!
We’ve reviewed 68 different home warranty companies, and want to share with you our top picks for heat pump coverage specific to your state. Want to learn which company will protect your home and wallet? Continue reading!
$200 Off + FREE Bonus Month
Limited Offer: $50 Off + 1 month free
Limited Time: $150 Off All Home Warranty Plans
Our Top Home Warranty for Heat Pump Picks
- All plans have comprehensive coverage. Most other home warranty plans cover either just systems or just appliances.
- Choice’s coverage caps are $3,000 per item, per year for most major systems and appliances beating the industry average.
- Choice Home Warranty doesn't exclude older homes, so you can still get coverage regardless of the age of your property.
- $200 off + 1 Month Free + Free Roof Coverage!
- BBB's Only A+ Accredited Home Warranty Company!
- 60-day workmanship guarantee compared to the average of 30 days.
- More than 20 options, including window washing, swimming pools, and irrigation.
- 24/7 service calls
- With over 52 years of experience and 1.7 million customers AHS has a long history in the industry.
- American Home Shield, lest you choose a service fee that works for your budget.
- Coverage caps for systems are unlimited across all three plans and are either $3000 or $6000 for appliances.
- $150 off + 2 months free
- FREE Roof Leak Coverage
- Good selection of plans
- Must file claims within 3 days
- $75 cancellation fee
- First 2 Months Free on all Plans! (exclusions apply)
- Industry-leading 180-day workmanship guarantee
- $500 Homeowner insurance deductible reimbursement
- Thousands of reliable & fast local service providers
- 24/7 customer service
- Low cancellation fee
Top 3 Home Warranties for Heat Pumps
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Best Overall||$45 – $53||$85||D+|
|Liberty Home Guard||Best Customer Service||$45 – $54||$75||A-|
|American Home Shield||Most Customizable||$25 – $75||$75 – $125||B|
Choice Home Warranty (Best Home Warranty for Heat Pumps)
Choice Home Warranty is the best home warranty for a heat pump. Living in an area where a wide range of temperatures are expected can end up requiring quite a bit of use of a heat pump. The heat pump is covered under the heating system coverage offered in both the Basic Plan and the Total Plan from Choice Home Warranty. Home warranty companies like American Home Shield and Select Home Warranty require customers to purchase a systems only plan or an expensive combination plan. With Choice, the heat pump is covered under both combination plan options. In addition to covering your heating, Choice offers a wide range of appliances and other systems (HVAC, plumbing, etc.) as part of their two impressive plan choices. With more than ten years in the business, Choice understands what customers need to keep their heat pump in working condition.
As you may have already found out the hard way, the heat pump is expensive to repair and replace. Therefore it is vital to look at the limit of your home warranty policy to ensure it is large enough to cover the costs. Choice Home Warranty has a policy limit of $3000 for the heat pump. Compared to American Home Shield with a $2000 policy limit, quite a few more repairs can be completed with the Choice Home Warranty policy. In the middle of the winter, if your heating system goes down, you are going to need a fast and reliable repair. With Choice Home Warranty having the emergency service option, your home will always be protected against an unexpected heat pump issue.
When purchasing a home warranty policy for your heat pump, the costs matter. Choice Home Warranty is currently offering a promotion that includes $50 off, one month free, and no fees for a cancellation within the first 30 days. Take advantage of the appliance and system coverage that Choice offers by signing up for this plan today.
American Home Shield (Most Customizable)
American Home Shield is our editor’s choice for the best home warranty for a heat pump. When looking for a home warranty that will cover a heat pump, you must consider the fact that the heat pump won’t be listed as its own line item on the policy. Expect to find the heat pump as part of the overall heating system plan. The great thing about the American Home Shield plan options is that the heating system is covered under all three choices. The fact that you won’t have to put on extra coverage and pay outside of the monthly plan is a nice benefit for those that choose American Home Shield.
The heating system can be rather expensive to repair and replace. If you are not careful about the home warranty you choose, you could end up with a lower policy limit and not even funds to pay for a replacement. The American Home Shield home warranty comes with a $3000 limit on the heating system for your home. The Select Home Warranty comes with a $2000 policy limit. With the customization of the American Home Shield plan, you can set this up to work for your budget and the individual specifications of the home you live in. Although the American Home Shield plan is a bit more expensive than other plans on the market, it will give you complete peace of mind that your heating system will stay well protected.
It’s hard to find a deal on American Home Shield home warranties. With more than 50 years in the business, this company is strong and does not need to lower the pricing of its policies. However, for a limited time, you can get $50 off a new plan; this is a great way to start your new policy with AHS.
Select Home Warranty (Most Affordable)
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty for a heat pump. Select Home Warranty offers a great value when it comes to the heating system. Even with the lower pricing of these plans, the policy limit is still $2000. This should be enough to cover the repairs that you would experience related to your heat pump. With the way that the Select Home Warranty policies are set up, you will have to choose the Platinum Combo plan, or the Silver Systems plan to see coverage for your heat pump. Overall the Select Home Warranty also offers some of the lowest pricing for the service fee or deductible. With a fee right around $60, whatever way you look, Select Home Warranty offers very fair pricing and value on their policy.
Another great benefit of the Select Home Warranty policy is the free roof leak coverage that comes with your plan. If you are worried about experiencing an issue with your roof, you won’t have to pay extra for this coverage. Instead, by signing up for any of the Select plans, you will get this free roof leak coverage. Select Home Warranty is very strict about who they accept to come to your home and handle a repair or replacement. The contractors and repair technicians go through a fair amount of training to be approved by Select and provide warranty services and replacements to Select Home Warranty.
Select Home Warranty is currently offering the best sign-up incentive on the market. You will get $150 off, two months free, and 30 days to cancel your policy free of charge. This is a great way to start coverage on your home without having to worry so much about the costs involved.
What's In This Guide?
A heating and air conditioning system is one of the most expensive features of any home. HVAC systems can cost thousands of dollars to install and a single service call to repair a heat pump can easily eat up a substantial portion of your paycheck.
Read Also: What are the best home warranties for HVAC?
However, like any home system, air conditioners and heating systems can break with little notice. Plus, if you don’t have the cash on hand to cover a costly repair or replacement of a home appliance like a heat pump, you could be in big financial trouble.
That’s why home warranty coverage is so important. But, with so many options, it can be hard to find the right home warranty company for your heat pump coverage.
Thankfully, we’ve conducted an extensive amount of research on the top home warranty providers so you don’t have to waste your time reading through the fine print. Up next, we’ll give you all the information you need to find the best home warranty contract for your heat pump.
If you’re looking for a trusted, industry-leading home warranty company, we recommend Choice Home Warranty. They’re a top-rated brand and right now you can take advantage of their current promotions that get you $50 off, plus one free month and free 30-Day cancellation. Get a free online quote or contact a specialist at 929-400-6169 before these deals end. Another great option is American Home Shield which offers $50 off. Get a free quote online or you can call a home warranty specialist directly at 866-464-7521.
Do Home Warranties Cover Heat Pump Replacement?
Every home warranty is different. But, for the most part, covered items under a home warranty include major appliances and home systems, like water heaters, plumbing systems, garbage disposals, sump pumps, and dishwashers.
The majority of these appliances won’t be covered by your homeowners insurance policy. So a home warranty contract is necessary if you want to protect yourself against unexpected expenses.
However, if you read through the basics of most home warranty contracts, you’ll probably find that they don’t explicitly mention heat pumps. But, this is just because most companies list heat pumps to be part of an HVAC or heating system.
The vast majority of home warranty companies will cover heat pump repair or replacement, since this appliance is considered to be part of an HVAC unit, just like a home’s ductwork. But, the actual terms and conditions of this replacement and how much the warranty covers is up to your individual warranty agreement.
Top 5 Best Home Warranties For Heat Pump Coverage
Is A Home Warranty Worth It For Heat Pumps?
If you’re new to the world of home warranties, you might be wondering if it’s worth getting one, just in case your heat pump breaks. The answer?
Since most home warranties will cover the cost of HVAC repairs, they are a good back-up if you don’t have the cash on hand to pay for heat pump expenses out of pocket. Here’s why a home warranty is worth the investment for a heat pump:
- Critical For Heating And Cooling. A heat pump is one of the most important parts of your home’s heating and cooling system. They are surprisingly complex systems that can break with little notice if they’re not cared for properly. You can learn all about heat pumps and how they are an integral component of your home from the HVAC (see below video).
- Costly To Replace. A new heat pump can easily cost upwards of $8,000, depending on the size of your house. This is a substantial cost that many homeowners can’t afford to pay out of the blue.
- Repairs Tend To Be Expensive. Most heat pump malfunctions will require an experienced HVAC professional service provider, which can leave you with a bill of up to $1,000 for a more complicated repair.
- Regular Maintenance Fees. Heat pumps require regular maintenance. One of the most costly parts of owning a heat pump is refilling your refrigerant tank with freon. In fact, freon can cost up to about $50 per pound. Since many heat pumps can hold up to 6-12 gallons of freon, a single fill-up can cost you up to $600.
What’re The Benefits of a Home Warranty For Heat Pump Coverage?
Having a home warranty that covers your heat pump can make a huge difference if you’re saddled with an unexpected and costly HVAC repair bill. These are some of the things that you can expect from the best home warranty companies:
- Repair And Replacement Cost Coverage. Depending on the terms of your warranty and any add-ons, your contract may offer low-cost home repairs of your heat pump. This is particularly important if your heat pump is no longer covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Often, you just need to pay a small service fee, and then any repairs or replacements will be covered up to the value listed on your policy.
- Trusted Service Providers. Generally, a good home warranty provider will also arrange for a local service contractor to come to your home. So, you don’t even need to go through the hassle of finding a repair company on your own. This is especially beneficial for first-time homebuyers who may not have a lot of experience vetting service professionals.
- Refrigerant Expense Support. Many warranties will cover some of the cost of refrigerant refills.
If we simply look at the cost of repairing or replacing a malfunctioning heat pump, it’s easy to see that a home warranty is well worth the monthly premium, should an issue arise. The convenience and security that warranties provide to homeowners can be really important if something as costly as a heat pump were to break.
Would A Home Warranty For Heat Pumps Cover Pre-Existing Conditions?
Unfortunately, most home warranties do not cover pre-existing conditions for home appliances and systems like a heat pump. This is true whether the issue is on something as simple as a garage door opener or as complex and costly as a septic system.
For this reason, it’s a good idea to get your home inspected before you purchase a home warranty policy. When you purchase real estate, an inspection is generally part of the new home buying process. However, if you’ve owned your home for a while, your house may have underlying issues that you don’t know about.
In this situation, getting an inspection will help you figure out precisely what will and will not be covered by a home warranty. If you don’t know about any issues in your home before you sign a warranty contract, you may end up having to pay for any potential repairs caused by pre-existing conditions.
Read Also: What Are The Best Home Warranty Plans For A Furnace?
How Soon Can You Use A Home Warranty For Heat Pumps After Purchase?
Every home warranty policy is different and has unique rules about how long you have to wait before your coverage is in effect. Most companies will require you to wait at least 30 days after enrolling before you can make your first claim.
This may seem a bit odd, but companies have this waiting period to prevent people from purposefully signing up for a policy right before they need a costly repair. However, many warranty providers will cover you immediately after enrolling if you already had a home warranty policy and you’re just switching companies. When in doubt, always as a company about their coverage conditions before signing your contract.
Are You A First-Time Buyer? Check Out This Article!
Best Home Warranty For Heat Pump?
Choice Home Warranty is our top pick for a heat pump on home insurance market. Choice offers coverage on all components and parts necessary for the operation of the heating system, including reservice for failed parts.
What To Look For When Picking The Best Home Warranty For Heat Pumps?
With so many different home warranties out there, it can be tricky to find the policy that’s best for your needs. Here are some of the most important things to look for when finding the right plan to cover your heat pump:
A warranty or insurance premium is how much you pay to the company in exchange for their coverage. This fee can vary widely based on the size of your home and where you live. Of course, a lower premium is better for your bank account, but these kinds of policies might not cover certain appliances in your home.
When you use your home warranty company to contact a service provider, you will often have to pay a small fee directly to the repair company, regardless of what the issue is. Depending on the company, this fee can be as low as $50 or as high as $100.
As we’ve mentioned, some home warranties require that you wait at least 30 days after enrolling before you are eligible for coverage. Sometimes, this waiting period is waived if you’re just switching to a new company. So, read your contract carefully to ensure you don’t have any gaps in coverage.
Even the best home warranty in the world will have some coverage exclusions. You can usually find a full list of excluded appliances and repairs in a company’s terms of coverage document, which you should read thoroughly before committing to a specific policy.
For heat pumps, you should check that your specific type of heat pump is covered by a company’s policy. Some providers will not cover geothermal or water heat pumps, so you should fully understand what you’re paying for before you sign up.
If your warranty company organizes repair services for you, you’ll want to learn more about the availability of their help center. While some companies have a 24/7 service center, others aren’t open at night or on the weekends.
Needless to say, if your heat pump were to fail on a Friday night in the middle of the winter, you’ll certainly want to get that fixed as soon as possible. So, it’s generally best to find a home warranty company that has a 24/7 service center that’s always available to help you in an emergency.
Read Also: What are the different options for home warranty plans?
Home Warranties for Heat Pumps: Coverage
|Covers Heat Pump in Basic and Combo Plans||Yes||No|
|Choice Home Warranty||X|
|American Home Shield||X|
|Select Home Warranty||X|
|Liberty Home Guard||X|
- Choice Home Warranty: $660 per year for the Combo Plan with an $85 deductible
- American Home Shield: $720 per year for the Combo Plan with a $75 deductible.
- Select $650 per year for the Combo Plan with a $60 deductible.
- Liberty Home Shield: $725 per year for the Combo Plan with a $75 deductible.
Home Warranties for Heat Pumps: Expense
|Coverage Limits for Heat Pump|
|Choice Home Warranty||$3,000|
|American Home Shield||$3,000|
|Select Home Warranty||$2,500|
|Liberty Home Guard||$2,500|
Home Warranties for Heat Pumps: Reliability
Our Top Pick For A Home Warranty On Heat Pumps
You have a lot of choices when it comes to a heat pump home warranty. After reviewing all of the options, our top pick is Choice Home Warranty.
With Choice Home Warranty’s coverage, you get the following great heat pump coverage features:
- Coverage For Air Heat Pumps. Choice Home Warranty will cover air source heat pumps (ASHP) as part of your home’s heating system. However, geothermal and water source heat pumps are excluded from coverage.
- 24/7 Call Center. The service call center at Choice Home Warranty is available all day, every day. They will help get a service provider to your home quickly, especially in an emergency.
- Good Coverage Amount. Choice Home Warranty will cover up to $1500 of any heat pump repairs and replacements that you need.
- Reasonable Service Fee. When you call Choice Home Warranty to service your heat pump, they charge a reasonable fee of just $85 to get a technician to your home.
- Coverage For Old Heat Pumps. Choice Home Warranty won’t deny coverage just because you have an old HVAC system. While they don’t cover pre-existing conditions, they won’t reject your claim just because you have an older heat pump.