Alabama is considered part of the deep south, and with that comes some very warm and humid summers, friendly neighbors, and even a bit of access to the gulf. Whether living in Huntsville, Birmingham, or Montgomery, or putting down roots out in the country, living in Alabama has lots of great benefits. However, there are also issues that can come up with home systems and appliances due to the grueling heat. Finding one of the best home warranty companies in Alabama can end up saving your thousands on repairs and replacements, offing you home protection and peace of mind.
In this guide, we will cover . . .
- What is a home warranty?
- Why should you have home protection on your home?
- What should you look for when purchasing a home warranty?
- The 7 best home warranty companies in 2022
- And much more!
Disclosure: ReviewHomeWarranties.com has referral agreements with some of the home warranty companies presented on our lists throughout this website, including our the above rankings. Referral income which we generate through these agreements helps us keep the content free of ads and accessible.
The Alabama summers always require a working air conditioning system. Without the proper cooling, you will be quite uncomfortable. Unfortunately, cooling systems are typically going to cost thousands of dollars to repair, and that can make it difficult for any Alabama homeowner. This is where the home warranty can step in.
Alabama homeowners that need a home warranty have lots of great options to choose from. The key is to find something that will be affordable yet offer the coverage you need for your home. Let’s take a look at the top 7 best home warranty companies in Alabama.
Top 7 Best Home Warranty Companies in Alabama
- Choice Home Warranty (Best Overall)
- American Home Shield (Most Customizable)
- Select Home Warranty (Most Affordable)
- Home Service Club (Best For Quick Coverage)
- Liberty Home Guard (Best Customer Service)
- Cinch Home Services (Best Add-On Options)
- First Premier Home Warranty (Best Coverage)
Compare Alabama Home Warranty Providers
|Provider||Visit Site||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating|
|Choice Home Warranty||Site||Best Overall||$40 - $48||$85||B-|
|American Home Shield||Site||Most Customizable||$50 - $60||$75 - $150||B|
|Select Home Warranty||Site||Most Affordable||$36 - $38||$60||B|
Home Service Club
Best For Quick Coverage
|Liberty Home Guard||Site||Best Reviewed||$40 - $60||$60||A|
|Cinch Home Services||Site||Best Workmanship||$28 - $40||$100 - $150||A-|
|First Premier Home Warranty||Site||Best Coverage||$45||$75||B-|
Alabama Home Warranty Costs
An Alabama home warranty is typically chosen based on the cost of the plan. As much as Alabama homeowners’ case about coverage, workmanship, and service, they also want to ensure that the home warranty is affordable. At Review Home Warranties, we realized that it could be helpful to understand the average costs associated with an Alabama home warranty. The costs of a home warranty will vary based on the type of home and the coverages chosen. We have done some in-depth research to compare the average home warranty costs across several different home types. Use these averages to ensure you get a great deal on your home warranty purchase.
Average Annual Premium
Single Family Home
Home Over 5,000 sq. ft.
Home Under 5,000 sq. ft.
Alabama Home Warranty Companies Reviews
At Review Home Warranties, we have reviewed more than 70 companies to help narrow down the top seven home warranties for Alabama homeowners. When comparing each of these home warranty companies, we looked at plan options, time in the industry, customer service, coverage caps, customer reviews, service fees, and more. Here is how the top seven home warranty companies in Alabama ranked.
1. Best Overall: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty policy in the state of Alabama. Choice Home Warranty has been on the market for 13 years, and it is known for its impressive customer service and straightforward service contract. Understanding service contracts from Choice is a breeze, as well as submitting claims once your policy takes effect. If finding a great home warranty has left you confused, Choice Home Warranty can help. There are only two plans from Choice, but they each offer both appliance and system coverage. Choice offers the perfect amount of coverage at an affordable cost for Alabama homeowners. In addition, the coverage caps from Choice Home Warranty are some of the highest in the industry.
Comprehensive plan options
It won’t allow for custom plan build-out
Fair overall pricing
Reasonable service fees
Good sign-on incentive
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
Choice Home Warranty has some of the fairest pricing on the market. When you look at the depth and variety of coverage, it is easy to see why these plans are so popular. Choice Home Warranty has both system and appliance coverage as part of both plans. The basic plan covers 13 items for under $45 per month. The more popular option, the Total home plan, covers those plus four more for a total of 17 covered items, all under $54 per month. Choice Home Warranty has very high coverage caps associated with its covered items. Most of the caps will be around $2000, which is triple or quadruple what some other plans have. The service fee for each time a technician visits your home will be $85.
Here's a closer look at CHW's plan options:
- Basic Plan ($45 per month): The basic plan covered 13 items including ceiling fan, cooktop exhaust, dishwasher, ductwork, garbage disposal, ductwork, electrical, garage door opener, heating system, oven, microwave, plumbing system, toilet and water heater. This is a great option for appliance-only coverage.
- Total Plan ($53.55 per month): The total home plan covers those 13 items plus four more: air conditioning, washer, dryer and refrigerator. This is the most popular plan among Alabama homeowners because of the extensive coverage. Those looking to have A/C coverage for their home should consider this plan option.
- Optional Add-ons: Choice offers nine optional add-on coverages. These range from $40-$180, and include central vacuum, well pump, septic tank, pool and spa, sump pump, roof leaking, and stand-alone freezer.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying
“After being disappointed time after time by my previous home-warranty company, I am very happy to say that Choice has been flawless. The quality of service technicians they have assigned has been excellent so far, and the price of my warranty plan is below what I was paying before. Good job, Choice." – William W.
Read our full Choice Home Warranty Review for more information, and get a free quote by filling out this form.
2. Most Customizable: American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan for Alabama homeowners. With American Home Shield plans, you can pick and choose coverages to precisely fit the needs of your Alabama home. American Home Shield is one of the most well-respected home warranty companies in the industry, with more than 50 years of experience. If your Alabama home has high-end systems and appliances, the American Home Shield plan offers high coverage caps to help protect these items. AHS also offers customizable plans so you can built out a policy that fits your home's needs. With that, the service fee is also customizable. However, a higher service fee means you will pay more in your monthly premium and vice versa. As the industry leader, AHS is a great option for your Alabama home warranty.
Been around for more than 50 years
A premium-priced policy
Built out custom plans and add on options
Add on coverage choices
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
There are three American Home Shield plans to choose from: ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum. ShieldSilver is most affordable and a systems-only plan. ShieldGold is the tier 2 combo plan, which covers a total of 23 items for around $45 per month. ShieldPlatinum is he most comprehensive plan option because it covers 27 items. The service fees for the American Home Shield home warranty are customizable. You can choose from a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. The higher the service fee you choose, the lower the monthly premium cost.
Here are more details on American Home Shield's plans (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- ShieldSilver™ ($34.27 per month): ShieldSilver includes coverage on 17 major home systems such as air conditioning, electrical system, ductwork, plumbing system, water heater and alarms.
- ShieldGold™ ($44.27 per month): ShieldGold covers a total of 23 systems and appliances including many of the ShieldSilver items plus washer, dryer, trash compactor, and electrical system. The appliances covered in this plan have higher coverage caps at $1,500.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.27 per month): ShieldPlatinum is the broadest and most popular and comprehensive plan offered by AHS. It covers 27 systems and appliances, including the 23 in ShieldGold plus garbage disposal, locksmith, water dispenser and free roof leak coverage. This plan also comes with free HVAC tune-up and a $1,000 credit for code-required changes, modifications, and permits.
- Optional add-ons: AHS offers a couple of add-ons such as pool and spa, PC, TV, septic system and well pump. These coverages run $4.17-$21.25 per month.
Cost Per Month
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
$75 - $125
What Customers Are Saying
"This was our second call for service and it was a professionally handled as the first. We used the we site. It was easy on both calls. We heard from the service tech as promised. He gave us a time window. He called to ask if he could come early. He was polite and took car of the problem. I highly recommend Home shield to anyone!" – Tim S.
Find out more information from our American Home Shield Review.
3. Most Affordable: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most affordable home warranty in the state of Alabama. Select Home Warranty's plans have been an option for Alabama homeowners for more than nine years. During that time, Select Home Warranty has worked to help improve the overall pricing of their plan while offering more and more coverage. Select Home Warranty's plans come with free roof leak coverage and some of the lowest monthly prices on the market. With low monthly premiums comes slightly lower annual coverage maximums. However, you will notice very quickly that your home warranty policy is worth it when it pays for itself in 2-3 visits. To get a great value plan for a low-cost, Select is the plan for you.
Impressive customer service
Lower policy limits
Clearly defined coverages and exclusions
Not great for high-end appliances and systems
High workmanship quality
Straightforward policy choices
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
There are three Select Home Warranty plans to choose from, but the Platinum Care Plan is the best value. With the Platinum Care plan, homeowners can get appliance and system coverage on 16 items for just a few extra dollars per month than the other two plans. Both Bronze Care and Gold Care are offered at the same price of $58, but Bronze Care covered seven appliance and Gold Care covers six systems. One of the only downsides to the Select Home Warranty plan is the fact that the coverage caps are a bit low. The lower coverage cap has been one of the reasons that the plan has remained so affordable. Select also has an industry low service fee of $60.
Here's a closer look at Select Home Warranty's protection plans:
- Bronze Care Plan ($60.42 per month): This is a basic appliance-only plan that covers seven items. These include garbage disposal, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, refrigerator and clothes washer.
- Gold Care Plan ($60.42 per month): The Gold Care plan is a systems-only policy with coverage on six systems. The systems included are air conditioner, ductwork, electrical, heating, plumbing systems, and water heater. Both of these plans cost the same, but Gold Care comes with higher coverage limits on systems up to $2,000.
- Platinum Care Plan ($65.83 per month): Platinum Care is by far the best plan option for Alabama homeowner. This plan is double the coverage, including all of the items in both of the other two plans plus ceiling fans, garage door opener and plumbing stoppages. It only costs a couple dollars more but offers a much better value for your money.
- Optional add-ons: Select Home Warranty offers a few add-on coverages such as pool, spa, septic system, lawn sprinklers, stand-alone freezer, central vacuum, well pump, and sump pump. There is free roof leak coverage included with every plan.
What Customers Are Saying
“I am very happy with this service. I am having them for 2 my houses and used already for both . The technicians came on time, very professional and helpful. They replaced the parts of dishwasher and now it’s working great. I am still waiting for the parts for my fridge." – Natalie S.
Read our Select Home Warranty Review to learn more.
4. Best for Quick Coverage: Home Service Club
The Home Service Club is the best home warranty for quick coverage in Alabama. Where most home warranty companies hav a 30-day waiting period before the home warranty plan can take effect, The Home Service Club has a much shorter wait time. The Home Service Club's home warranty coverage takes effect just ten days after you sign up for the plan. The Home Service Club is more of an industry veteran with more than 13 years of experience and an extensive network on industry professionals across the US. HSC has developed plans with comprehensive coverage and affordable pricing. HSC is also highly rated for having excellent customer service and well-trained technicians in Alabama.
No inspection is needed before the plan starts
Can be a high service fee
The plan starts after ten days
Not accredited by the BBB
Extensive coverage options even in the basic plan
Plans, Pricing, and Coverage
There are only two plans offered by the Home Service Club, but each are great options for homeowners in AL. The Standard Coverage and the Comprehensive Coverage both cover a mix of systems and appliances. The Comprehensive Plan covers considerably more items than most other plans on the market. However, even the basic Standard Plan comes with more coverage than the basic plans offered by other providers. For up to 30 items covered under $65 per month, the Comprehensive plan is the best option. The Home Service Club also has customizable service fees of $60, $75 or $95.
Take a more detailed look at HSC’s home warranty plans:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Coverage is the basic plan offered by The Home Service Club, yet it goes beyond just basic coverage. Some of the 18 covered items are air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan has 10 more items covered than the Standard plan for just over $1 more per item. The unique extras are gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. This is the most popular plan among Alabama homeowners because of the broad coverage.
- Optional add-ons: The Home Service club offers 12 optional coverages including well pump, service line, plumbing sprinkler, spa and spa heater, free-standing freezer, water softener, and more. These range from $5-$16 more per month and can be added on to either plan.
Cost Per Month
What Customers Are Saying
"I really had a wonderful experience with the exterminator that was there to rid my house of the worst mice infestation I have ever lived through in my seven years living in this house. He knew a lot about these sorts of creatures. He really was an expert in his field. It was a privilege to have him over my house. Keep up the good work!" – Denver B.
Find out more through our The Home Service Club review.
5. Best Reviewed: Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is excellent choice for those looking for a valuable and highly rated home warranty company in Alabama. When choosing a home warranty, it is smart to see how other customers feel about the plan. With less than two years in the industry, Liberty Home Guard has received several thousand positive reviews from customer across the country that rave about its professionalism, trustworthiness, and ease as a service provider. Liberty Home Guard has also earned an A rating with the BBB, which is almost unheard of for other home warranties in Alabama because most people only leave a review when they have something negative to say. Additionally, Liberty Home Guard offers a 60-day workmanship guarantee, and they are known for their quick response times to customer needs.
BBB Rating of an A
Option plan choices are a bit higher in price
Overall fair pricing
The price increases quite a bit for comprehensive plans
60 Day workmanship guarantee
Add on coverage list is extensive
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
There are three Liberty Home Guard plans to choose from. The Appliance Guard and the Systems Guard are the more affordable choices, but they are a bit limited in their coverage options. Appliance Guard is the most affordable plan at just under $70 per month, but covers 11 appliances. The Systems Guard plan covers nine systems for just $5 more per month. The Total Home Guard plan has even greater value and more inclusive coverage. It combines the two lower-tiered plans to cover a total of 20 items. Liberty has a very middle-of-the-road service fee, which is $75.
Here are more details on Liberty Home Guard's plans:
- Appliance Guard ($69.99 per month): Appliance Guard is a great starter plan for coverage on only appliances. It covers 11 appliances including ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, garbage disposal, dishwasher, clothes washer, clothes dryer, garage door opener, microwave, oven, refrigerator, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): If you're looking for coverage on your systems, but a little bit more than a basic package, this is the plan for you. Systems Guard covers nine major home systems including air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, ductwork, electrical, heating system, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, toilet, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): Total Home Guard is the best plan out there for complete coverage on home systems and appliance. It offers generous coverage caps on all 20 of the included items, and it only runs for $5 more per month than Systems Guard. Most appliances and systems in this plan have a $1,600 coverage limit, however heating and air conditioning have a higher limit of $2,500 each.
- Optional add-ons: Liberty Home Guard offers an extensive list of 20+ add-on coverages. Some of the more unusual offerings are re-key service, pest control, gutter and floor cleaning, lawn sprinklers, and wine refrigerator.
Total Home Guard
What Customers Are Saying
“I talked to Derek to set up an appointment for my pool pump that was malfunctioning, and he actually helped me troubleshoot the issue. I was able to fix it myself and saved on the deductible. I appreciate the initiative and conscientiousness that Logan employed to save me money and keep things convenient. The communication was clear and very friendly. Definitely satisfied" – Lynn M.
Learn more at our Liberty Home Guard Review.
6. Best Workmanship: Cinch Home Services
Cinch Home Services offers the best workmanship out of all of the the top home warranty companies in Alabama. With a 180-day workmanship guarantee, the Cinch Home Services plan allows homeowners to trust the home warranty plan they have in place. If a system or appliance breaks, your home warranty plan from Cinch will handle the issue until it is solved. Most of the best home warranty companies only offer a 30-60 day labor or parts guarantee. In addition, Cinch Home Services has more than 40 years in the industry, making it one of the most seasoned home warranty companies out there. Cinch has a reputation of being very communicative with customers, hiring top-quality technicians, and having a low overall claim denial rate compared to the industry average.
Long history in the home warranty business
Higher service fees
180-day workmanship guarantee
Negative customer reviews
Moderately priced plans to choose from
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
Alabama homeowners will enjoy the overall fair pricing of the Cinch Home Services plan. Cinch offers three plan options to policyholders: the Appliances Plan, the Build-In Systems Plan, and the Complete Home Plan. The Appliances Plan and Build-In Systems Plan offers basic coverage for as low as $35-$39 per month. However, the Complete Home Plan is the most popular option, as if covers a total of 32 items for as low as $49.99 per month. Keep in mind that the service fees associated with Cinch Home Services are a bit higher than others and can be customized. The higher-priced service fees mean a lower monthly payment.
More details on Cinch Home Services' plan options (note: these prices are based on a $100 service fee):
- Appliances Plan ($44.99 per month): This appliance-only plan 11 appliances. Many covered items come with an annual coverage limit up to $2,000 and those included are cooktop exhaust fan, dishwasher, clothes dryer, food center, free-standing ice maker, microwave, oven, refrigerator, refrigerator ice-maker, trash compactor, and clothes washer.
- Built-In Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): The Built-in systems plan covers a total of 21 systems, many of which have really high or non-existent coverage limits. The covered systems are air conditioner, smoke alarms, attic fans, bath exhaust fans, cooktop fans, garbage disposal, doorbells, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, heating system, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, septic tank pumping, spa, sump pump, toilet, central vacuum, water dispenser, water heater, and whole house fan.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): The Complete Home Plan is the best option for Alabama homeowners. It combines all of the coverages in the other two plans to cover a total of 32 major home systems and appliances. Many of these items come with high annual maximums of $2,000 or don't come with limits at all. This plan also comes with a $500 reimbursement for homeowners insurance, so you can make sure your home is covered even beyond a home warranty.
- Optional add-ons: Cinch Home Services offers three add-on coverages including pool, septic systems, and well pump coverage. The company also offers The Premier Upgrade Package which includes a $1,000 credit for any unforeseen costs that may occur during a claim.
Built-In System plan
Complete Home Plan
What Customers Are Saying
“Very helpful. Other companies I had contacted were pushy and abrupt. I wanted to know up-front about costs and payment options. I was immediately impressed by the Sales Rep and was able obtain exactly what I was looking for at a very good price." – Sharon A.
Read our Cinch Home Services Review to learn more.
7. Best Coverage: First Premier Home Warranty
First Premier Home Warranty is the best home warranty for Alabama homeowners that want extensive coverage on their homes. When you are worried about whether or not you want an appliance plan or a systems plan, you must ensure that you are choosing something that covers the needs of your home. First Premier makes that easy with the blanket-like coverage options they offer. Even the basic plan from First Premier will cover more than 15 appliances. First Premier Home Warranty is a newer company, but it has some of the best BBB ratings on the market. In addition, both of the plans offered by First Premier are extremely affordable, running under $45 per month and can be even lower by paying in an annual lump sum.
BBB Rating of A-
Short time on the market
A newer company that is continually improving
Not everyone wants to pay upfront for the year
Low costs if you pay upfront
Modern technology and systems in place
Plans, Pricing and Coverage
First Premier Home Warranty's plans have a very reasonably priced service fee of $75, and they will offer tremendous discounts for those that can pay upfront. If you like to pay your bills ahead of time and want to get a head start on the next year, this is a very good option to consider. You can get the Platinum Plan for as low as $38 per month if you pay annually. Each of the items covered under the First Premier Home Warranty will have a lower coverage cap than other plans on the market due to the low monthly cost, yet the number of covered items is quite impressive. The Gold Plan covers 14 total items and the Platinum Plan covers 19.
Here are more details on the plans offered by First Premier Home Warranty:
- Gold Plan ($43 per month): The Gold Plan covers 14 systems and appliances, and can be as low at $33.25 per month if you pay the annual cost of $399 rather than monthly. This plan includes ceiling fan, garage door opener, cooktop exhaust, oven, dishwasher, microwave, garbage disposal, ductwork, sump pump, electrical system, plumbing system and stoppages, trash compactor, and water heater.
- Platinum Plan ($50 per month): The Platinum Plan covers all 14 of the items in the Gold Plan plus five more items: air conditioning, heating system, washer, dryer, and refrigerator. If you choose to make the annual payment of $449 rather than the monthly, this plan could cost as low as $37.42 per month. Many of the items included in this plan have no coverage limits or come with a a higher cap of $1,500, like for air conditioning and heating system.
- Optional add-ons: First Premier offers a few add-ons, which include free-standing ice maker, well pump, central vacuum, septic tank pumping, stand-alone freezer, refrigerator ice maker, water softener, lawn sprinkler, septic, roof leaks, spa and pool coverage.
What Customers Are Saying
“Working with First Premier Home Warranty is great. Great customer service, fast response times and very thorough. I look forward to a long and healthy relationship with them. Would 100% recommend contracting with them." – Luis S.
To learn more information read our First Premier Home Warranty Review.
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a service contract between you and a home warranty provider that protects you against the costs of servicing broken down home systems and appliances. Items typically covered by a home warranty plan include septic systems, electrical systems, washer, dryer, HVAC, refrigerator, plumbing, cooktop, exhaust fans and more. Each of these items will come with an annual coverage limit that's outlined in your contract.
In order to use your home warranty, once a covered item breaks down you will submit a claim through your provider's online claims portal or phone number. In 24-48 hours, the provider will get back to you and work with you to set up an appointment for an experienced technician to come to your house. The technician will then fix or replace the covered item, and all you will pay is the service fee. Service fees usually range from $60-$100 per call. You will also pay a monthly premium to keep your home warranty in place.
Home warranties cover the normal wear-and-tear of systems and appliances, not misuse, neglect, cosmetic issues or intentional damage. Unlike homeowners insurance, a home warranty policy in Alabama also will not cover damage caused by natural disasters.
How to Find the Best Home Warranty in Alabama
Now that you know exactly what type of home warranty options you have, it’s time to start narrowing down which will be the best for your home. Of course, you will have the obvious distinction between an expensive and a cheap plan, but there are other things that can distinguish one home warranty from another. Three great ways to tell these plans apart are the plan choices, service fees, and coverage caps. When you have a better handle on these, you will be able to find a home warranty policy that is a better fit for you.
Most home warranty companies will give customers two or three home warranty choices. Typically speaking, these are like base policy choices, and then you can add to them depending on the coverage in your home. Sometimes you may find that you want to include your swimming pool or your second refrigerator, and most policies allow for this. The plan choices should most closely match the covered items that you were most interested in protecting.
The service fees associated with the home warranty plans on the market are typically priced between $60 and $150. The higher the service fee, the longer the workmanship guarantee. In addition, some plans have service fees that are going to vary based on monthly pricing. Choose something that will help ensure you can afford your service fees, even if a few repairs come up in the course of a month.
Coverage caps are the limits that are associated with each individual covered item as part of the plan. The coverage caps are typically between $500 and $3000. Alabama homeowners with high-end appliances or systems need higher coverage caps.
Home Warranty Tips for Alabama Residents
Alabama offers homeowners a chance to be outside and enjoy their property almost 12 months of the year. There are lots of great things about the overall mild climate in Alabama, but you will have to deal with both cold and warm weather conditions. This means that the home appliances and systems that you need in your home are going to be increased.
Alabama homeowners from Birmingham to Auburn to Tuscaloosa are going to need a functioning HVAC system. When those warm summer days roll around, AC is a necessary luxury. When the weather in Alabama changes and everyone is looking for a contractor to help make these repairs around the home, the home warranty will help ensure that you have what you need and can get a quick fix.
In addition, areas like Orange Beach or Gulf Shores that are down by the water will have an accelerated rate of deterioration as compared to normal wear. This is because of the proximity to the saltwater that these seaside towns have.
Don’t forget that roof leak coverage is another essential feature of some home warranty plans. Companies like Select Home Warranty will give free roof leak coverage to customers from Auburn to Cullman. This extra coverage will come in handy and help improve the overall value of the plan.
Alabama residents also need to have coverage for their electrical systems, heating systems, and water heater. During the winter months, the temperatures are a bit warmer, and these coverages will be necessary.
The bottom line is that regardless of where you live in Alabama, home warranty coverage will be well worth the money that you invest.
Home Warranty Regulations in Alabama
Before you sign a contract with a home warranty company in Alabama, it would be very useful to know which authority regulates its operation. In this case, you will know where to file a claim if things go wrong. Alabama Department of Insurance provides customer protection and regulates the home warranty industry. According to Chapter 32 of the Code of Alabama, all companies that sell service contracts must be registered with the Commissioner of Insurance.
Hopefully, you now feel as though you can choose an Alabama home warranty with ease. The state of Alabama is a great place to live, but it makes sense to protect your appliances and systems from high repair and replacement expenses. Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty for Alabama homeowners. Choice has been on the market for 13 years and has some of the best coverage in the home warranty market. The great thing about Choice Home Warranty plans is that they are affordable and very straightforward. You will not have to worry about the plan details or the fine print being confusing or hard to understand. With Choice Home Warranty, what you see is what you get. Don’t hesitate to get a few different quotes for your home warranty plan; it makes sense to work out the best deal possible when you make your initial purchase.
Review Home Warranties Rating Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies
At Review Home Warranties, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed-up through routine check-ins. When we picked our best home warranty companies, we reviewed and analyzed over 50 different companies. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for a homeowner in choosing a home warranty plan. Here is what our home warranty review process looks like:
We call every home warranty provider, talking to sales agents and company representatives to gather accurate information on:
- Fine Print
- Plan Options
- Service Contract Details
- Customer Service
- Ratings and Reviews
- Add-On Options
- Additional Benefits
We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
We analyze the sample contracts and fine print from each brand we review. This allows us to break down the industry jargon, check for hidden stipulations, and see what is and isn’t covered so we can give readers straightforward information.
We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home warranty companies against each other.
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Plan options (25): Providers that offer more flexibility in their plans are rated higher.
- Coverage specifics (5): The more items covered in a home warranty plan, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We take the monthly fee and service fee into consideration when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding coverage in your state can be a challenge if home warranty companies aren’t located there. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this home warranty company responsive? Do they respond quickly to claims filed? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Home warranty companies will typically offer special promotions or benefits for signing up for their services. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the 50 different companies that we’ve reviewed, we've broken down the seven best providers for home warranty coverage. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
Resources for Alabama Homeowners and Home Buyers
- Alabama Housing Finance Authority: For down payment assistance, financial information, and even homebuyer education, the Alabama Housing Finance Authority can be a great resource.
- Homeownership Assistance Alabama: The US Department of Housing and Urban Development can help Alabama homeowners and homebuyers considering purchasing a home. HUD helps from a financial and educational standpoint and is a federal resource for homeowners and homebuyers.
- US Department of Agriculture Rural Development: For Alabama homeowners that are considering purchasing rural land, the US Department of Agriculture Rural Development will offer programs and assistance. This is a resource that is worth considering before you make your final purchase in rural Alabama.
- Huntsville, Alabama Housing Assistance:: Living in Huntsville, Alabama, can be an excellent spot for many Alabama homeowners. If you are looking for resources and assistance regarding Alabama homeownership in the Huntsville area, this is your best resource.
- City of Mobile Down Payment Assistance Program: Mobile, Alabama, will offer first-time buyers some help with their down payment. If you know that you are ready to purchase a house but could use some help with the down payment, the Mobile down payment assistance can help.